keeping a dog in a fenced yard?

terrybr

We have a 3 year old Shiba Inu that loves to run. And rather than run around in his 1/2 acre fenced in yard, he's taken to jumping the fence to run around the neighborhood.

6 months ago we bought an electonic invisible fence in addition to the 4 foot high chain-link fence. That has worked until today. He jumped it even though the invisible fence is in working order and we can hear the collar beeping when he gets close to it.

Any suggestions how we keep this dog in the yard??

Barb04

Super Moderator
I've known a few dogs that go right through the invisible fence. Some just don't care. We have a 5' high fence around our yard and will probably be putting in a 6' high fence instead due to our next puppy we will be getting which is known to jump high.

You can get an electric dog fencer and run a couple of strands of wire on top of your existing fence - high enough to make it hard for him to clear.

I've never used an invisible fence; don't they have something that lets you adjust the level of the shock? You might check, too, if the collar is still functioning properly. It may be just beeping.

terrybr

elctric fencer

I've considered an electric fencer wire around the top of the chain link. However we have alot of kids in the neighborhood and have hesitated.

Is this common?

I suppose that placing the fencer strand overhanging to the inside, should prevent little kids from touching it?

It should, and post a sign at each corner of the fence. You might let your neighbors know what you're doing so no one gets curious (or nosy) and stupid. And really, kids shouldn't be bothering your fence. That might be part of the reason your Shiba has decided to jump over.

It might help to remove some of his temptation by putting privacy slats in your fence, too.

terrybr

Thanks!

I think you're right, on the temptation to get out. There's plenty of kids and other dogs around that Chester has a tendency to stand at the fence even when you can see he's getting shocked!

I had kiddingly mentioned putting an electric fence up, but am now seriously considering it. The sign and talking to neighbors are also good ideas.

Also found a "Stubborn Dog Collar" on the 'net. It supposably works with my underground wire and may get Chester's attention more than the current collar!

Thanks for your help! This is a neat forum, I'll have to be back to read more!

pitbulliest

Again, Serena beat me to it. Always make sure you supervise your dog and never leave them in the yard when you're not there. There are too many horror stories of dogs getting stolen, poisoned, jumping fenses and getting hit by cars or running away. Its too much of a risk.

*high fives Serena* lol

I have an IF and it has worked well keeping my 2 in even when they are on a full run chasing the many squirrels - they have decided it is their job to keep all of them out of the yard. :)

One time I had a problem with Farley getting out of the yard at camp only when we walked out to go to the beach w/o him. 15-20 minutes after we'd get to the beach this black streak would fly by us and jump in the lake. I called IF and explained the situation to them. They gave me 2 options I could try. I could reset the range so that the audible warning sounded earlier to throw him off & if that didn't work I could bring the collar into them for them to increase the correction setting. Resetting the range did the trick and he has never gone beyond the boundary again. Perhaps giving that a try might work.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I to have invisible fence and try calling them your dog may be jumping over the field they can make it higher it may only be as high as your fence they make it up to 12 feet high I am pretty sure also check your batteries they may be low and need to be replaced also they may need to re program the collar for a higher correction if these do not work get an electrical fence to run around the top of your existing fence

terrybr

When we had trouble at first with Chester, we replaced the batteries in the collar and then had the collar replaced. We tested the transmitter and the underground wire. The more powerful collar AND another strand on top of the fence is what we're going with.

As far as letting the dogs out only when they are supervised... I do not agree. They need the exercise and freedom to roam. Leaving them inside the house all day while I'm at work is not an option. That is why keeping him in is so important.

Thank you for all of your responses.

Members online

No members online now.