Free spay/neauters: Pit bulls only

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Just saw it on the news. The Seattle Humane Society is offering free spay and neuters for a limited time, but here's the kicker. Only for pitbulls.

Part of me thinks it's ridiculous because they are singling out pitbulls to be snipped, but then again almost all the dogs that come into the Seattle Humane Society are Pit or pit mixes (acording to them, but most dogs do look like some kind of bully breed).

What do you guys think of this?

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I'd be interested to know if they are also "collecting" owner info like name address and phone so they know where they are. I think something similar happened in Denver (?), they then used the info collected to find the folks and take dogs once the ban was a done deal. I hope those owners are on their guard out there.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Kansas City Spay/Neuter does something similar, only it's low-cost for any dog but there is an emphasis on getting pits in as well. Then again, over 2/3 of the dogs done at each MASH clinic are pits/mixes anyway. The only thing done with the information collected is that it is put on a microchip.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Zoom last I heard washington was on the list of states trying to join in the bans that is the only reason it worries me. Trying to get them in I have no problem with I wish it would be somewhat mandatory unless a good reason is given for example: showing, hunting, working, etc. But i feel most pets should be all of ours are.

Romy

Taxiderpy
They do this is Tucson. It's retarded. They actually were paying people $40 a pit to get their pits fixed. I think it's part of the breed elimination scheme. If they were just interested in reducing the overall homeless dog population they would have offered it to every dog owner interested.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
yep...always something behind just about anything a gov't entity offers the PB folks I have found. A handshake in one hand...a dagger in the other.

darkchild16

We are Home.
As a APBT lover/breeder I like the fact that they are getting alot of them in to be done. the less we have intact that are not responsible or have a good reason is a GREAT thing. Pit Bulls are probably one of the highest backyard bred dogs in the U.S. Most people who have no reason for them to stay intact and leave them intact are usually doing so for a irrelevent reason. Yes I think they should do all dogs that way but the concentration on the pit bull may keep them off the ban list longer.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
wish to heck it was here. Had my fingers crossed before i opened the thread. I am taking Victoria pepper up to the humane society at the first of the month to make sure she has been fixed or to arrange for that to be done and to get her a dhlp booster just in case.

gapeach

Big Mutts
As a APBT lover/breeder I like the fact that they are getting alot of them in to be done. the less we have intact that are not responsible or have a good reason is a GREAT thing. Pit Bulls are probably one of the highest backyard bred dogs in the U.S. Most people who have no reason for them to stay intact and leave them intact are usually doing so for a irrelevent reason. Yes I think they should do all dogs that way but the concentration on the pit bull may keep them off the ban list longer.
I totally agree.

To be honest, I don't like anything that treats the breed differently than any other dog. Why can't they just have reduced/free neutering for all breeds?

elegy

overdogged
hey i'm all for anything that's going to get people to fix their pit bulls. there's a program like that locally, called Desex in the City, and it targets pit bulls because there is a HUGE overpopulation of pit bulls. the shelter population is something like 80% pit bulls at any given time.

i agree that opening it to all dogs (and cats) would be much more beneficial to the world in general, but this kind of targeting, at this time, makes sense.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
They do this is Tucson. It's retarded. They actually were paying people $40 a pit to get their pits fixed. I think it's part of the breed elimination scheme. If they were just interested in reducing the overall homeless dog population they would have offered it to every dog owner interested.
That's what my initial feelings where, but then I was thinking about it. If you've ever been to their shelter they have an overwhelming number of pits, that aren't neutered/spayed come in. By overwhelming I mean about 80% of their adoptable dogs are pit or pit mixes. It's amazing the difference between the Tacoma HS and Seattle HS! Which are only (at most) an hour away from each other.

But anyways, I'm worried about the actual intentions of the pit bull only spay/neutering. It's only a limited time offer though. My inital worry is less now thinkinga bout how many pits pit/mixes go into that shelter and how may pit puppies they get too.

They do offer low cost spay/neuters for all dogs, but this pit bull limited time offer is free. IDK, it worries me a bit, but then again, thinking about it, seems to make a little sense.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
wish to heck it was here. Had my fingers crossed before i opened the thread. I am taking Victoria pepper up to the humane society at the first of the month to make sure she has been fixed or to arrange for that to be done and to get her a dhlp booster just in case.
I don't know if they're full yet or exactly how to go about it, but I'm volunteering at this Sunday's MASH clinic for KC Spay/Neuter. They're usually cheaper than the HS and will microchip her (I think for free) at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.