Mr. Shaffer report

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
He is looking better and better. I just finished drying him from his sat night bath..i swear this has been wash day as well as save the little seedlings...his rib bones are no longer prominent, his hip bones do not stand out..i feel good muscle tone in his forelegs where before all you felt was bone..I bought him two toys today. He poked some serious holes in Hyia's soccer ball so i got him a giant tennis ball made for dogs, and a new tug toy. He grabbed up the tug toy and took his best buddy Victor right out the door for a game. No one ever plays tug with Victor cause he gets to carried away, Mary says no thanks because he hurts her mouth, and it just isn't wise for people to join in, but Shaffer is a fair match and loves to play the game as much as Vic does. They had a wonderful romp as they do everyday. Mom says Shaffer gets more and more antzy in the morning when he knows it is time for Victor to arrive. He is starting to act his age, not like the old old acting dog he was in the beginning. I am going to have my work cut out with him on the leash. BEfore he was so complacent..boy is that over with now. He just about knocked me off my feet getting out of the car when he saw the cat. He is spending the night with me and my dogs, will return in the morning. He has company coming, my brother said he would be over to meet the new man of the house. Isn't that just too cool? :D I will take pics soon.

Good update on Shaffer! Pictures good!

These 2 retards here play tug all the time.

I got the 2 DAs here the tennis balls made for dogs and roommates dog DESTROYED them in short order. He ate a Jolly Ball with the handle, well half of it, and it wasnt pretty coming out, well thats not true it was kind of colorful, it just want pretty where he left them.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
lol Blue....i think it is just perfect when two dogs can play together like that..sorry bout the pretty poops tho..seen a few of those in my time..especially the crayola eaters. :D

I swear by anything KONG. My boy has his mouth now deformed from forever carrying around his Kong Bally. And I'm babysitting a dog who is trying to chew one up... she can't! :D

The Air Kongs suck!!! the roommates dog destroys those as fast or faster than regular tenis balls.

The Kong toys are these dogs toys of choice, when my dog can find his, the other dog likes to hide them for himself.

My dog prefers highlighters too crayons.

Sorry for the thread highjack.

Chanting "We want pics, We want pics, We want pics, We want pics, We want pics, We want pics, We want pics."

Saje

Island dweller
I bought the kids tennis balls today (dog ones) but I worry they are going to choke. I saw an episode of Rescue911 where a dog was rescued after choking on a tennis ball. :( How much of a worry is that? Should I get up and comb the backyard for the one I couldn't find tonight?

The Air Kong made from tennis ball matierial are destroyed faster than regular tennis balls by the roommates dog.

The regular Kong toys made from Kong matterial I will swear by.

My dog dosent seem to "pop" tennis balls or such things but the roommates dog will shred them in short order and eat them.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Wahooo!! I'm soo glad Shaffer found you Smkie!! It sounds like he's turning into one of those very special kinds of dogs!!!! Plus Victor has a new playmate!! Turned out so well for all of you! I'm so pleased!!!! :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Saje i had a neighbor call me and say "i just saw your dog s*** a tennis ball.." when i checked, shorenuff was true. We had a tennis court behind us and charlie would try to sneak the balls into the house. Since he also liked to throw them up in the air and barrel after them, that was something u just didn't allow indoors..i had a coffee table with several lovely pieces of raku pottery i had made, i had a lot of nice things once..o d well..u never know where a tennis ball can go......
Thanks Gustav..the trickly part for me is to not pay too much attention to him..i am not sure letting him spend the night was wise, he slept on one side and vic on the other..their noses were side by side crossing me...this morning when i took him home mom called him and he ignored her,,she called him again,,same thing..i told him to get his black behind in here and he trotted right over so i will have to keep a bit of a distance. It is hard to do..but i imagine time will fix it, it does most things in my life. It is not easy when they all want to be my dog..in order for my daughter to have the relationship with Tatey that she had i did the same thing..let the love come from her, taking a back seat is never easy, but oh so necessary.

A friends pit bull would swallow many things whole, tennis balls where common she would get a real funny look on her face when it was time to return them to the lawn. Bailey chews them up first.

ROFL! Dogs and tennis balls. Purdue would lay there for hours, just mashing one flat over and over and over in his mouth. He had the most awesome jaw and neck muscles I've ever seen on a Shepherd, and I think it had a lot to do with his tennis ball exercises.

So, Master Shaffer is learning what it's like to be able to act his age instead of his owners! That's wonderful. It works out well, too, that he's used to living with an older woman so he knows how to treat your Mom.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Glad everything is going so well with Mr. Schaffer! I'm really happy that your mom has his company too!

Members online

No members online now.