Is anyone interested in doing a "trick of the week" game again?

Paige

Let it be
I like all the ideas thrown out. Bandit is SUPER clumsy so we will probably fail at doing a sit up/sit pretty but I dont care. Itll be fun to try. :D

SaraB

Here's the deal. If you can't do the trick, there will be more! It's not like it's a final trick and there will be no other chances. If we are doing this each week, you can just modify the trick to meet your needs or wait until the next one. I can almost guarantee that not everyone is going to be happy about every trick posted but it doesn't make sense to me to do more than one trick if we are going to have to come up with a new one each week.

Is it cool if I start a thread in the pictures section so we can post videos or does someone else want to do it?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I'm down with this, I wanted to teach it anyway... as part of something more complicated... my guys are in. And the girlie. The big girlie that is. Maybe I'll try the little girle too...

Brattina88

:D I like it! I won't be able to participate all the time, but I definitely want in :D with both of my girls ;)

Taqroy

FWIW Sitting up is actually suggested for long backed dogs to help prevent injury.
Really? Do you have something I can read on that? (Absolutely no snark intended, I'm really interested and would rather know.) I just assumed that it would be not so good for a long backed dog to sit up in that manner. Now that I'm considering it, I'm also wondering if Tipper's nub would get in the way. Lol.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Really? Do you have something I can read on that? (Absolutely no snark intended, I'm really interested and would rather know.) I just assumed that it would be not so good for a long backed dog to sit up in that manner. Now that I'm considering it, I'm also wondering if Tipper's nub would get in the way. Lol.
Just from a human perspective - core work strengthens and stabilizes your back, particularly the lower back which is what many people injure. It would make sense to me, then, that doing core exercises such as balancing in a "sit up" position for a dog would also strengthen and stabilize their back... though I never thought about it that way before, haha.

Aleron

I will see if I can find any info online. I know Chris Zink wrote a blurb about it in Clean Run years ago. And the chiropractic/rehab vet that a lot of performance people here use suggests it. But Beanie is right about it, it helps strengthens the muscles that stabilize the back.

milos_mommy

Milo's nub doesn't get in the way, and it's really pokey and good at getting the way of my ribcage when we snuggle.

Aleron

Sitting up and preventing back injuries:

"Heather Oxford, DVM: As you may know, many dachshunds have a hereditary back condition called Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD). This causes the discs to slowly degenerate, which makes them less resilient shock absorbers. Any activities that cause compression through the spine are considered high-risk for disc herniations and neurological problems including paralysis.
Such activities include running down stairs, jumping down from furniture, or jumping up and down on the hind limbs. At CARE, we encourage spinal flexibility and core strength by dozens of exercises. One such exercise is sitting up, a.k.a. "begging." This is a core strengthener that helps protect the back from injury. Also, I recommend fish oils that have concentrated amounts of omega-3s such as DHA and EPA. Not all fish oils are created equal, so make sure yours is independently tested for mercury and other contaminants, and that it meets its label claims." http://dachshundlove.blogspot.com/2010/01/aint-too-proud-to-beg-but-is-it-ok-for.html

And from Chris Zink's site:

"Stationary exercises can also be used to strengthen specific groups of muscles. For example, teaching a dog to sit up can strengthen the back muscles. Stretching exercises, such as the play-bow should always be used to warm up a dog prior to training and competition." http://www.caninesports.com/fitness.html

And from an article with Chris ZinK:
Dr. Zink: “There are lots of indoor exercises that you
can do to strengthen the rear legs and core muscles –
having the dog beg, then stand up, then go back
down into a beg without putting the front legs on the
ground is a great one. To make it even tougher, have
the dog do it on an uneven surface like a bed or couch
pillow. Another good core exercise is to lift diagonal
legs and have the dog balance on the remaining two
legs. Again, an uneven surface makes this a better
workout. You can strengthen the front limbs by having
the dog wave, holding its front legs (one at a time)
in the air as long as possible.
“These exercises will serve to strengthen the back
and abdominal muscles, which can help prevent back
injuries. Any basic trick can be made into an indoor
exercise, if you modify it for strengthening value.â€
Just Labs: We’ve heard that lunging through
deep snow is not good on a dog’s joints. Is this true?
If so, why is it not good – what is happening?
Dr. Zink: “Lunging in snow is not necessarily bad on
the joints. However, the sudden (unpracticed) muscular
effort associated with moving the limbs against the force
of the snow can cause muscle tearing and [muscle]
death, which can result in significant muscle pain for
several days afterward.†http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/documents/JustLabs.pdf

Members online