any ideas as to why she's doing this?

nancy2394

I know we've had other threads about female dogs mounting and there has been a debate over dominance etc....

What I'm wondering is why Lola has SUDDENLY decided she wants to mount every dangling leg in sight. There have been no changes in the household or routine. She has never done this before. At first we thought she was just playing around and jumping on our legs rough housing until we saw .. with no other words to describe... the pelvic thrusting going on.

One minute you'll be sitting there watching tv and the next minute she jumps on from out of no where and I mean she JUMPS on and grabs a hold and starts grinding. It takes a couple of seconds to get her off your leg and as fast as you shove her off and tell her "no" she's already trying to jump back on. And she gets so excited that she's even "air humping" after you've thrown her off your leg.

As we all know.... this can be a really embarrassing situation if company comes over. Thank goodness she has never mounted any company that has been over... but I want to break this habit as soon as possible and obviously my method of pushing her off and saying "no" isn't quite cutting it.

Nancy

Tell her she'll go blind...

Bitches will mount because of hormone influences (it feels good), dominance behavior, anxiety, and sometimes as a sort of obsessive/compulsive disorder (it feels good lol)...amongst a few others.

Is she spayed? If so then she's likely experiencing a hormanal imbalance which is causing her to display more "dominant" behavior...but I tend to think your problem is going to be one of the "it just feels good" reasonings. In that case you're either faced with an active decision or a mental disorder. One can be relieved with propper training, punishment and rewarding and the other will require medication. Your vet may have to make the distinction.

I would suggest actively punishing her for the offense instead of persuing a only a verbal "no". If this does not alieviate the issue, speak to your vet.

nancy2394

You know... you got me thinking. It's definately not anxiety. And I didn't want to sound like a sicko but I think it really does feel "good" to her. For the few seconds she's grinding away before we shove her off... she looks like she's in heaven. How stupid does that sound?? I am embarrassed to even say that.

BUT... I just remembered something that may have a large factor in her new behavior. About a month or so ago I noticed her vulva area was swollen. I assumed it was her very first heat cycle despite the fact she had no droplets of blood. It may be an influx of hormones running rampid.

We are planning on having her spayed soon. I would have already had her spayed by now but some unexpected financial issues came up. She is now 10months old so I am definately going to have her spayed real soon.

Nancy

bah...nothing embarassing about sex feeling good...the dog's gonna dig it like every other living thing out there...****, how old are you?

Anyway...yeah...10 months? If she's a medium breed, then that's likely the issue. Simple hormone-overload and the behavior will likely disappear as fast as it arrived.

nancy2394

I just turne 35 last month... I know.. I probably sounded like a school aged kid with my thread.

But I do think you are right about the hormone thing. I can see the whole picture now with her swollen vulva and this new behavior happening at the same time. I just never put two and two together because it was just so gradual. And I almost never even noticed her vulva was even swollen. I just knew it looked a little different than it usually did.

The other thing I failed to mention out of embarrassment was the fact that I've caught her sniffing whatever she just mounted... whether it be someone's leg or a stuffed bear from my daughter's room. I guess it's no different than a male... she must secrete something when she does that. That's another reason I have to nip it in the butt.

She's only been doing this to this extreme for a few weeks now... so I think now that her hormones are beginning to level out that this may indeed subside. If not it will be time for some more training.

nancy2394

oh, and i dont' know if it makes a difference or not.. but she's more of a small dog category ... she's about 14 pounds and according to the vet she's pretty much done growing.

If her vulva is swollen - even though you haven't seen any blood - she's probably into her first heat. That explains the humping. They do that . . . just be thankful she's not Shiva's size :eek:

Members online

No members online now.