Just don't know what to do anymore!

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
Scooter will be a year old on December 11th. I got him when he was 6 weeks old, and he has been sick every couple of months since then.

When he's healthy, he loves to bark, especially in his crate. So I can always tell when he's getting sick again. He will just lay in his crate and not say a word... even when I'm preparing food. That's the first day, and he also starts drooling excessively and will growl if any of the other animals come near the crate. He still wants to eat and acts somewhat perky when going for walks on this first day.

The next day, he gets a fever... usually ends up around 105-106. He has diarrhea and is really lethargic. He has no more interest in food or water. This is usually when we rush him to the vet. They give him a shot to lower the temp, check him for worms, do a Parvo test, and send him home with a week's worth of antibiotics (SMZ TMP). Within a day or two, he's back to his normal self.

All the vets has ever been able to tell me is that "it's an infection". But no idea what kind of infection. The first time they hospitalized him for 4 days and said it wasn't Parvo (tests were all negative) but in the end said it must have been Parvo because there was no other explanation. He hasn't been hospitalized at all since.

Today, he's showing signs of being sick again. This is the first day... somewhat lethargic but not excessively so yet, drooling, growling when any of the dogs or cats pass by his crate, but still wanted to eat earlier.

He's been to multiple vets and all have had the same answer... "some kind of infection, no idea what, Parvo test is negative but that's our only explanation". I've taken him to every single vet in my area.

I just don't know what to do about this anymore. I hate seeing him sick so often and no one can come up with an explanation for me! We'll have to go spend another $200 at the vet now, and still get no real answers.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

Members online

No members online now.