Fleas

L

LoveMyDogs

I have 3 dogs. 2 adults and 1 adolescent. In the past 3 weeks I've given 2 baths to each of the dogs, with flea shampoo (containing oatmeal for coat) and am still seeing 2 or 3 fleas within a day after bathing. All are scratching to some extent but the skin is not red or irritated looking under the fur. Only one ear was scratched enough to leave a mark and it's healing nicely. What else can I do? A collar will not work, they'll tear them off of each other.

nancy2394

I'm sure others will have much better advice than me... but I have a cat and two dogs and NEVER have fleas. I give them all brewer's yeast tablets and when I remember... garlic tabs. Apparently fleas don't like the taste of garlic and there's something in the brewer's yeast that helps ward them off... at least that's what I've been told and it sure seems like it helps.

Besides.. the cat and the dogs absolutely love the brewer's yeast tablets.. they think they are a big treat when they hear the bottle rattling. They will even do tricks for them. All I have to do is show lola the bottle and shake it a little and she instantly drops to the floor and starts rolling for her treat...lol.

You also have to treat your house. Fleas live in the dog bedding, carpets..etc.

LuvsDogs

My border collie used to scratch incesently years ago & have weepy/crusty sores over her. I tried diet changes, omega 3/6 oils & nothing worked until I discovered Advantage spot-ons. She hasn't had a problem since & she's had them ever flea season for many years. I have a 1 y/o cat that has never had a flea on her.

bubbatd

Cats are the main flea carriers . I'd check with vet for the monthly preventive for both the dogs and cats . I never had luck with shampoos etc . Try Gold Bond powder on the itchy areas .

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I also feed brewer's yeast tablets (and Izzy and Frodo go nuts over them as well) and they seem to be working. When I had the dogs on Canidae ALS dog food we had no fleas at all.

L

LoveMyDogs

I've used the montly flea drops that go down the back...Advantage or Advantix...can't remember right now. Goes by weight, that much I remember. :) That was working great until now. 3 years with no fleas and now, all of a sudden...boom! Not alot, no flea dirt in the coat. We've treated the yard as well.
So would garlic be better than brewers yeast tablets? Or both? How much would I give? What kind of stuff actually WORKS to get rid of fleas in the house or do I have to bomb it?

Members online

No members online now.