Raw Troubleshooting

~Tucker&Me~

Ok so we have been on raw now for over a month now, maybe even two months but can't remember. Spy has been eating mostly chicken, with occasional beef and a couple instances of turkey necks. I started him off with chicken and he has been eating it more than anything else by far because I heard it is easy for them to digest. For the past week he has been having the runs pretty badly, as in it is literally liquid and not just soft. Now he has always had chronic mushy stool but this is worse than the norm. Also, his stool wasn't worse when we first started and it is only lately I have noticed this. I tried increasing bone to the point where he is eating mostly chicken wings and thighs with bones so it's definitely not a lack of bone in his diet.

I was thinking about trying pumpkin feel like that's not supposed to be part of the norm diet and would only be a bandaid. Also he is so picky that he probs won't eat it.

Here is what he is usually eating: Mostly chicken (thighs, backs, wings), occasional beef, occasional turkey, chicken hearts, gizzards, eggs and livers. I also sometimes add veggies (after blendered) but not usually.

Thanks!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Is the chicken hormone/antibiotic free? Is it injected with a salt solution? (most in grocery stores are)

~Tucker&Me~

Hm, probably not. I just buy him standard grocery store chicken. Could that be causing this? I would have thought if it was that the diarrhea would have started as soon as we began feeding him?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Do you always buy the same brand chicken?
It could be that it was just building up in his system, though that's not super common.

I know there are a lot of dogs that don't do well with meat that isn't grass fed/antibiotic free, etc.
Frodo never handled the stuff with the salt solution well.

Are there any other symptoms of something being off, or just liquid poo all of a sudden?

I would look for a medical reason too if he had been doing fine.

Can you get any fresh (well frozen) green tripe? That always helps firm up my guys and also had a lot of probiotics that will help heal

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Honestly, if it's not too expensive for you, I'd switch him over to a pre-made raw... find a formula that he does really well on & stick to that protein source until he has perfect digestion. Then, start adding raw meaty bones of the same ONE pre-made protein source to his diet (that are boney and low in fat) and transition him to all prey model. Wait until his digestion of that one meat source is great, then try getting him accustomed to ONE other protein source. I wouldn't worry about feeding organs until you get his issues under control.

Gonzo has a really sensitive tummy, if I start feeding kibble for even a couple weeks I have to slowly transition him back to raw. Pre-made agrees with him the best and I like that I don't have to worry about it. I also feed him quite a bit less than the bag says he should get until his stomach is settled. Stella & Chewy's (if you have it in your area) is my favorite. The Duck & Goose formula ALWAYS cures any bouts of upset tummy. I also give him a meal of greek yogurt, pumpkin, blended organs and canned tripe every day for a week and that helps his tummy a lot. :)

Honestly, it sounds like feeding a bunch of different protein sources isn't agreeing with him. Eggs and veggies can be a culprit of loose stool, too. Chicken doesn't agree with ALL dogs the best, some dogs do a lot better on duck, and it's much leaner.

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Try removing the skin and fat on the chicken. Sometimes that can cause digestive upset.
You may even want to try some chicken backs for a couple of feedings, and be sure to remove any organ still on them.

Is the chicken enhanced? Most from grocery stores are. If so, you soak it for a couple hours in warm or even cool water. That is supposed to help draw out some of the sodium solution.

I wouldn't go with pre made raw. Even though it is "raw" it is still commercial and there is no way to really know just how much of what is actually in it. Quality of ingredients can also change without it being told on the packaging, just like kibble. You also don't get the dental benefits of raw with whole bone. The best thing about a true raw diet, is one protein/ingredient at a time. That way, you also know the source of any problems or intolerances you may come across.

SaraB

I second the idea of going back to one protein, making sure he ok on that and then add in a second protein 2 weeks or so later. Do this for each protein you intend to feed. Also agree on the holding off on organs for a bit.

~Tucker&Me~

Can I keep him on beef or should I go back to chicken?

I think what I will do is keep him on the one source for a while and stop with the organs as recommended, and I will remove the fat and skin. Also I can try soaking it for a bit if that will draw out the sodium, thanks for the suggestion :)

I will try feeding tripe and see if that helps too.

Thanks for all the help! I really want to keep him on raw if I can.

Members online