Having *really* good luck training Bella...

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I've started seroiusly training Bella's agility now that I feel better about my getting her DA under control. However, it's winter now, and all my clubs equipment has been taken to the training barn that we're only allowed to go to during ceratin hours, on certain days, and here at home I only have 2 jumps, a tunnel, and 8 weaves (don't ask why I have 8 and not 6 or 12, lol).

We've been working on sending out to tunnels, rear crosses, and front crosses on tunnels. Commiting to jumps (she went a long time where she wouldn't jump the jumps unless I was right there beside the jump), sending out over the jumps, front crosses (I was going to work some on rear crosses on the jumps today, but it was too cold, so we only did a little bit, and that wasn't part of it). Start line stays are good, really good (godbless Obedience!)... Um..

Weaves are coming along well. She goes really fast into the entry, then slows down because she's kinda unsure of what to do (She's far from 100% on the weaves yet!), but we're working those... Besides that I'm not sure...

So, the main reason for the post is to ask what I can do with 2 jumps, 8 weave poles, and a tunnel? Please, if you know a sequence that will help her out some, or have any ideas what I can do to work on whatever, and how to do it, let me know!

TIA
Shay

adojrts

I've started seroiusly training Bella's agility now that I feel better about my getting her DA under control. However, it's winter now, and all my clubs equipment has been taken to the training barn that we're only allowed to go to during ceratin hours, on certain days, and here at home I only have 2 jumps, a tunnel, and 8 weaves (don't ask why I have 8 and not 6 or 12, lol).

We've been working on sending out to tunnels, rear crosses, and front crosses on tunnels. Commiting to jumps (she went a long time where she wouldn't jump the jumps unless I was right there beside the jump), sending out over the jumps, front crosses (I was going to work some on rear crosses on the jumps today, but it was too cold, so we only did a little bit, and that wasn't part of it). Start line stays are good, really good (godbless Obedience!)... Um..

Weaves are coming along well. She goes really fast into the entry, then slows down because she's kinda unsure of what to do (She's far from 100% on the weaves yet!), but we're working those... Besides that I'm not sure...

So, the main reason for the post is to ask what I can do with 2 jumps, 8 weave poles, and a tunnel? Please, if you know a sequence that will help her out some, or have any ideas what I can do to work on whatever, and how to do it, let me know!

TIA
Shay

You can do TONS, of course working on all your crosses, you can teach obstacle discrimination, layering, and finding the tunnel entrance from anywhere. Tunnel entrance discriminations etc. Lateral startlines. For weaves, work the arch from a static position, then getting her over stimulated and sending her to the weaves, call throughs for the weaves, racing her to the weaves. Working the arch with first a jump to the weaves and then the tunnel and so on......................

Check out Bud Houstons and his blog on Agility Vision, he has posted some great exercises and sequences. http://www.agilityvision.com/ awesome site!!!!!

A good christmas gift is Clean Run's sequencing exercise book, they are awesome and I use mine ALL the time, for myself and students.

If you want any more suggestions, just shout.

p.s to speed her up in the poles, only work on 4 poles and reward heavily for speed, esp. if she will tug or throw a bait bag/tube. Restrain releases to the poles also works with many dogs.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Thanks for the advice, and the link - I'll be sure to check that out!

As for getting speed with the weaves - I assume I wait until she's weaving to start trying to get speed?

DaVinci

I have an A-frame and tire jump so far I can make makeshift jumps but in Northern Minnesota it is hard to work the dogs in the winter. I do as much as I can and hope daVinci doesn't loose all he learned this summer.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
They'll (Zoey and Bella) still get worked this winter, but only once a week.. And that wont start for a bit, so until then, I'd like to be able to train as much as I can at home. :)

adojrts

Thanks for the advice, and the link - I'll be sure to check that out!

As for getting speed with the weaves - I assume I wait until she's weaving to start trying to get speed?
She should speed up and understand faster if there are less poles, even 6 poles can be a bit overwhelming to a novice dog and it can be demotivating if they make a mistake.

If you work with 4 poles at first she really should start to speed up, once you can do all of the above with 4 poles completely succussful, then add another pole and so on..........

BostonBanker

I took a 6 week course last winter based on the DVD Success with One Jump. I'm guessing we didn't even begin to touch on the stuff covered in the video, but it was awesome for working on our startlines. I didn't think I would ever be able to leave Meg at the start (not because she wouldn't stay, but because she would worry and get slow if I put her in a stay and walked away), but she did awesome at trials this season. Never once broke a startline, and always took off with confidence.

adojrts

I took a 6 week course last winter based on the DVD Success with One Jump. I'm guessing we didn't even begin to touch on the stuff covered in the video, but it was awesome for working on our startlines. I didn't think I would ever be able to leave Meg at the start (not because she wouldn't stay, but because she would worry and get slow if I put her in a stay and walked away), but she did awesome at trials this season. Never once broke a startline, and always took off with confidence.

BB, I have that DVD and it is excellent, as must have for anyone with just a few pieces of equipment. Although anyone doing agility can benefit from it.

I also started the 2x2x method for weaves to fix Peties weaving problems and so far, it is working extremely well.
I plan on using that method for all my students as well.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I'll have to look into that DVD. I remember hearing about it at a trial, but thought "Nah, I wont need it for a while. Bella's not ready for agility yet". I didn't ever dream that we'd be training this winter.

Members online

No members online now.