How to find a mentor…

Aztec

How to find a mentor…

…For dog shows.

I am interested in finding a breeder that could mentor me and help me learn about the world of dog shows. I want to learn everything I can for several years before I make the commitment of acquiring a show dog. I want to know what I am doing, so that both the dog and I will have a better chance at success. I have the very basics of handling and dog shows in 4-H, but there is so much I need to discover and work at.

The thing is, I am unsure of how to approach a dog breeder on this. As I don’t know if breeders find this irritating or not…I really want to do this however, and I am willing to work for it.

Any advice?

mom2dogs

I would either get in touch with your local all breed club, or regional breed club.... go to meetings, get to know people, show your interest in showing, and chances are someone will take you under their wing.

What are you interested in showing?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Most breeders are more than willing to help and mentor new people.

You can go to AKC's website, http://www.akc.org and do a club search for clubs in your state. Find a couple close to you and contact them about when they hold meetings. Attend, volunteer, help at events. This way you will get to know some people that are actively showing and breeding, and you will surely find a good person to 2 to mentor you that way.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.