Are licks kisses?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Sometimes. My Border Collie will "smooch" where he just gives a quick, single lick. But, both he and my Papillon will try to lick when they have no intention of showing affection. Both adore the scent of my body lotion and try to lick me when I wear it. Both of the dogs lick me out of boredom. If I'm sitting down and don't have shoes on, they try to lick my feet. Strange little creatures.

so really.. sometimes it's a kiss, most of the time it's just to be annoying or taste the citrus-scented lotion.

mojozen

bullie lover
I see it as social grooming - sometimes Mojo does it simply to re-taste us, and sometimes, like last night, he's offering comfort (i had a bad anxiety attack last night and towards the end Mojo came up on the bed and started to lick my hands and arms which helped calm me down enough to sleep.)

Mojo is also very intent on cleaning any bleeding wounds my bf and I may incur. He won't leave us alone until he's allowed to take a look at them himself, and lick them. I have found that when I allow him to do this in conjunction with the usual washing and disinfecting - I heal a lot faster. He is pretty good at getting every thing "clean."

Mojo is a pretty nurturing creature... as a whole.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
LOL thats soo true about licking our wounds clean..

I've had to push Riot away from my mouth every single time I sit down now. I recently got my wisdom teeth out and he insists on trying to shiove his big nose in my mouth and lick where my teeth were lol Obviously.. hes NOT allowed to do that lmao Thats just gross and would more then likely cause infection lol

Riot always "gives kisses" when hes happy or when he actually needs comfort. Whenever he feels nervous, I put my face near his and talk to him and he gives nervous kisses.

Fran27

LOL Summerriot. I can just see the image lmao.

I saw Tips french kiss my husband once, it was a sight to see :D

bubbatd

There's a difference between a kiss and licking... a bearded man gets " washed " here !!!! MMMMMMMM lots of good tastes !!

LOL....I really enjoyed your responses. My dogs also do the same thing when I have a wound of any kind. Also, when I give Jackson Browne he always wants to lick me, that's why I was wondering about this subject. It's like "hey...your giving me kisses so I'm gonna kiss you back".

Caroleg

Denaluvscorgis said:
When a dogs licks us is that there way of kissing us....showing affection? I've always been curious about that.
I like to think so. I've heard that they are just displays of submission.

I actually had to "teach" my male to "kiss" me. So he only does it when he wants me to play with him.

Members online