Adding to the list of tail-related injuries...

So I came home for agility class today and noticed Cricket's tail looked...off. I felt along it and discovered a big kink about two inches from the end (bent probably 60 degrees or so). I couldn't feel any major swelling, but I was handling it pretty gingerly so I can't say that for sure.

It doesn't really seem to be bothering her - she didn't particularly like me touching it, but didn't yelp or pull away or anything. Seems to be moving and wagging it normally, and she ran agility fine tonight. I have absolutely no idea how she did it; it didn't get caught in a door as far as anything knows. The weird thing is that she is usually not very pain tolerant, and would have definitely carried on when it happened, but no one saw her hurt it.

So...has anyone dealt with this before? She does have a vet appointment for tomorrow but I thought I'd ask here too. I'm guessing it's broken, because it's a pretty large kink, but I don't know for sure. The vet will probably prescribe steroids to help with inflammation, but has anyone here successfully wrapped/splinted a tail? I don't have high hopes because the break is right at the end, so anything I put on there is likely to go flying off when she wags it.

crazedACD

Sorry to hear that :(.

Skye has had tail issues off and on her whole life, mostly happy tail. The last time she got happy tail I had to stop it from wagging and had to splint it. I used foam pipe insulation actually. Wrapped in vet wrap and a bit of medical tape, and had to use an ecollar to keep her from eating it. Yeah, it's a project.

Anyways, I'd check with the vet and see what they say. I don't think there is much they can do for it. She shouldn't really 'want' to wag it and should keep it relatively immobile herself.

Thanks! The vet couldn't feel an actual break, and said it was most likely a stretched tendon - still have no idea how she did that to herself, but that explains why she doesn't seem too fazed about it. He said it may or may not heal straight, so we'll see. She is sporting a little vet wrap splint now, which I'm amazed she hasn't tried to chew off.

Members online

No members online now.