This works well for me!

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
I usually produce one litter every 2-3 years. After a bad experience with a client, I came up with a system that worked extremely well for me, and the only complaints I had were from people who did not check out well enough to pass muster.

When negotiating a contract for a pup, I always do a vet check. At that time, I get a written estimate for the expenses of altering and vaccines up to 1 year from the clients vet of choice.
This amount is then added to the agreed upon price of the pup and is paid via debit directly to the vet to cover these expenses from an account I have set up specifically for this purpose. This fee is non refundable, only transferrable to another veterinary establishment.
I no longer have to worry about my puppies not getting the necessary basic care they need, and every vet I have contracted to perform these services willingly negotiated a discounted price for services paid in advance.
Every client that has used this method loved that they had no need to budget in these visits, only keep the appointments. The cost added to the purchase price also gives prospective dog owners a very good idea about how much an animal costs to maintain, and I have had a few change their mind about dog ownership because they "didn't realize how much a puppy cost" to care for.
This has worked well for me, and has given me a lot of peace of mind. I call it my "No Excuses Puppy Policy". It means a little extra work for me, but my dogs deserve no less. Just thought I would share a system that worked with those who might need a system that works!:)

showpug

MoparStar said:
I usually produce one litter every 2-3 years. After a bad experience with a client, I came up with a system that worked extremely well for me, and the only complaints I had were from people who did not check out well enough to pass muster.

When negotiating a contract for a pup, I always do a vet check. At that time, I get a written estimate for the expenses of altering and vaccines up to 1 year from the clients vet of choice.
This amount is then added to the agreed upon price of the pup and is paid via debit directly to the vet to cover these expenses from an account I have set up specifically for this purpose. This fee is non refundable, only transferrable to another veterinary establishment.
I no longer have to worry about my puppies not getting the necessary basic care they need, and every vet I have contracted to perform these services willingly negotiated a discounted price for services paid in advance.
Every client that has used this method loved that they had no need to budget in these visits, only keep the appointments. The cost added to the purchase price also gives prospective dog owners a very good idea about how much an animal costs to maintain, and I have had a few change their mind about dog ownership because they "didn't realize how much a puppy cost" to care for.
This has worked well for me, and has given me a lot of peace of mind. I call it my "No Excuses Puppy Policy". It means a little extra work for me, but my dogs deserve no less. Just thought I would share a system that worked with those who might need a system that works!:)
That is a very good idea!

bubbatd

Sounds good when you don't know the buyer. I was lucky as most of mine were repeat buyers, relative of theirs or references from the same. There was only one I questioned as a good home. After interviewing her, EliN ( daughter and was very young ) said "I don't like that lady, mommy, she's mean ---don't sell her a puppy " ....I didn't !!

Brattina88

bubbatd said:
Sounds good when you don't know the buyer. I was lucky as most of mine were repeat buyers, relative of theirs or references from the same. There was only one I questioned as a good home. After interviewing her, EliN ( daughter and was very young ) said "I don't like that lady, mommy, she's mean ---don't sell her a puppy " ....I didn't !!
Kids seem to have a better sense of people's overall temperments sometimes. While I was watching my cousin over an extended weekend I 'interviewed' a man who wanted to adopt the dog I was fostering at that time (Emma, an American Bulldog). I offered him a drink, and when he refused I got up to get myself one. My little cousin followed me into the kitchen and quickly whispered, in a very loud quick manner - "I don't like that man. He smells and he's mean." Up until that point I liked him, everything we went over seemed perfect. I paid very close attention to him after that, and decided eventually not to adopt out.
His vet reference said that he'd once had a pit bull that appeared to have "fighting scars." The man told me that he used to breed dogs. The vet said that his bitch had two 'accidental' litters and he took her to the vet only when the puppies (both times!) appeared to have worms. Never while she was pregnant. Now it isn't concrete evidence either way, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Members online