Good food for liver problems??

I just found out Weds that my 8 yr old Collie girl has something going on with her liver. Not totally sure the cause at this point, but she is on several different medications right now, and the vet has suggested I consider putting her on the Rx. L/D dog food for hepatic issues, which if I do, they would need to order for me on Tuesday.

I'm just wondering if anyone would have a suggestion for a good food for dogs with liver problems. I just hate the idea of feeding her the hills rx. food, as the ingredients look horrible, not to mention its almost $60 for 14lbs.

Suggestions would be wonderful!!

Thanks!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Have you looked at doing home prepared diets at all? That would be the route I would take if I were you, having a diet tailored specifically to your dog. I know Monica Segal makes a lot of liver diets, so if you are interested I would contact her (just Google her name).

As far as commerical diets, we see a lot of liver dogs who are on either Natural Balance Vegetarian (I'm not a fan of the company or the idea of vegetarian dog food unless absolutely necessary), and Solid Gold Holistique Blendz.

Thanks for the info. I'm just now starting to research this, and I would not be opposed to making an home cooked diet for her, I just need to know what I am looking for...

I'm guessing something lower in fat and protien???

I just picked her up from the vets this morning, after being hospitalized since Weds morning. They said she was doing great there, and eating well. She is also on about 6 different medications right now. Anyway, she barely ate half of what I fed her tonight, which is Merrick wilderness blend.

If she'll eat it, I'm up for trying anything. I'll google the name you suggested above and see what i can find as well. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.