Bacteria in urine

Pomp

A couple weeks ago, I started a thread about one of my beagles who had blood in her urine. She had a UTI and it's been treated, and it's fine now.

When I brought in her second urine sample, I brought in a urine sample from my other beagle just for the heck of it.

Vet called and said that "a bacteria" showed up in his sample, and he wanted to put him on antibiotics. I pressed him and asked him to explain more about bacteria. He never really gave a precise answer to what the bacteria was. He said he could culture the bacteria to get more specifics, but said he had prepared a medication for him. I told him I was hesitant to put him an antibiotics if there wasn't a pressing need. He said that he didn't have "a burning desire to put him on antibiotics" and the decision was up to me.

Any thoughts?

Pomp

Update: I'm leaning towards having the lab culture the bacteria to see exactly what it is.

Pomp

I'd probably do the same thing. I would be wary of medicating a dog for a bacteria that can't be named.
Yeah, it was weird. He was very vague. This is a new vet because we just moved to a new state. I think he expected me to just say 'ok'. However, he doesn't realize that I'm crazy protective dog owner.

I would hold off on the meds until the bacteria is NAMED. I mean what if the bacteria is one thing and the meds are for another thing? If I where you I would look for another vet.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
You cant really "name" any bacteria by just looking at it under a microscope. You have to culture it first and spend alot of money.

Personally, if it were my dog i would hold off on everything if he isnt showing signs and bring in another sample in a couple weeks. Some dogs normally have bacteria in their urine that doesnt do any harm, or the bacteria could of been a contaminate from the container or the stain used. Did your vet find any white blood cells with the bacteria? If not then there likely isnt an infection. I would not freak out at this point. :)

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
You do realize the culture is going to take a week at the soonest to get back, oft times 2 - 3? In which time the UTI is just going to get worse?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
You do realize the culture is going to take a week at the soonest to get back, oft times 2 - 3? In which time the UTI is just going to get worse?
It's her other dog who had the bacteria--not the one that had the UTI :)

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Right but if the dog has bacteria in its urine, that's a UTI.

Anyhow I'd just ask them if they did a Gram's stain to confirm if you're worried about them misdiagnosing and unnecessarily treating. That's the most expedient, informative test and should be one they can do right there in the clinic without you (and the dog) having to wait weeks for a reply.

Pomp

Supposed to get a call from the vet today. They're having the "head vet" look at it and make a recommendation. I'm not freaking out. I'd just like some actual explanation.

Pomp

Vet called. Said culture and sensitivity would be a good idea, and it would take about 5 days for the lab results to come in. Total cost is $65 (USD). I'm going that route.

Pomp

Bumpity bump.

Results from the culture returned. It's E-Coli. So I'm putting him on 2-week meds. Glad I had the culture done though.

What's really weird is that they both seemed to pick up E-Coli around the same time. And I'm thinking that they're maybe stepping in poop in the yard. I just moved from a big city and haven't dealt with yards before, so I'm thinking I should clean off their feet when they come in the house (and obviously make sure I get rid of the poop in the yard).

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Question. :) Did they send off the culture from a urine sample that was a free catch or by cystocentesis?

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Sorry! When i wrote that post i had every intention of explaining what i ment, but i guess i forgot! :p Free catch is like you did, catching it at home. Cystocentesis is where the vet takes a needle and gets the urine straight from the bladder. Cultures should only be run on cystocentesis samples as they are sterile. Free catch cultures can be contaminated from Everything (what you catch it in, the dogs fur, stool, the vets office, etc. Either way i hope your dog does better!!

Pomp

Cystocentesis...ouch!

I had brought in two urine samples, each about a week apart. Each one contained E coli. What were the odds of each sample being contaminated?

Pomp

I am trying to figure out what has caused E coli to show up in the both of them recently. I hope it isn't the food. I feed EVO Reduced Fat. The testing standards are supposed to be top notch for them. I also feed raw bones at night.

Could it be the yard? This is the first time they've had a yard, and it is fenced in. Wonder if they're stepping on poop and licking their paws. I do clean the yard once a week. No idea. A little freaked out though. I don't want them to keep getting it.

Members online

No members online now.