Tipping etiquette guide for dummies?

I have to just throw in, seen some of the worst tips working at a dog grooming salon. And on dogs that should have really been tipped more! I don't think any of us there expect tips, and when at least I got them, were very happy as I was making about $70 in tips for 6 days of work in two weeks at one time, but then there are situations like one groomer was in - where she had to preshave a Doodle for 2 1/2 hours, then the time it takes for bathing and the rest of the groom, and was tipped 3 cents. :rolleyes: Or one time where there was a B&B dog, and they gave "whatever was left" as the tip. Was 2 cents, so the bather got a cent and the finisher got a cent. :eek:

I had no idea about the tip for the maid. Where do you leave it?
I used to work as a hotel maid during college. If people left tips, they usually wrote a quick note that said "Thanks!" and left the note and a few dollars on the table or on the bed. The note was always helpful because I knew the money was meant for me. People often empty their pockets onto tables so I'd never take money that was just left on the table without a note unless they had already checked out.

Sometimes instead of tips I got notes with prayers or bible verses. That was always amusing. Tips for my soul I guess. :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Can you please explain to me about tipping. I have no concept of this what so ever, and it's the only thing I'm worried about (health issues aside!!!). Seriously, major stress I'm gonna offend people.

Do you tip EVERYONE? How much? If I ask them outright (hello, am I supposed to tip you, I'm British, help me!) will they be offended?

Like do you tip anyone who offers you any help?

Reception staff??!! Fast food places??!! People who carry something for you?? Do you tip every time you order a drink????!!!!!

Is there a dummies guide anywhere? Do I need to tip you for helping me now??!! Why do you tip so much???!!!! Arghhhhhh!!!

Does this mean I will always have to carry cash?????!!!! And change?!!!
I do always try to tip and I do take into consideration how busy the restaurant I'd etc ... but if 5 he server was crappy, no they ain't getting a tip, no how! I just don't give MY hard earned money away, they have to earn it just like I do.

BostonBanker

Also, a lot of "non-traditional" places where you may wonder about tipping will often have signs posted. "Employees are not allowed to accept tips" or "Tips will be pooled among employees" or things like that which give you an idea of what to do. They always make me happy, because I'm never really sure!

Places I always tip are restaurants where you are served (15% minimum for me, 20% if they were notably good, higher if they were amazing or something) and cleaning staff at the hotels (I leave money daily, as the same person isn't always cleaning the same room; generally between $4 and $10, depending on the kind of place I'm staying in - sometimes more when I have the dogs). Usually stick it under the "your room was prepared by ___" note. I'm not sure if it is still true, but I was told that at one point, hotel maid positions were actually considered a tipped position and thus were paid the way restaurant staff are.

Other places, I just sort of try and figure out what others are doing. I've hit google on my phone to check before!

Airn

Depends on the hotel. DoubleTree (Hilton) don't expect tips. SO works at the one here and laughed when I wanted to tip our hotel maid. Maybe tip if you're difficult? I try to clean the room before I leave. I also like to know where my money is going. I would prefer the person who did the work gets the money but that's not always the case. To me, tips are for excellent work. Not just money you throw at people because they work in a specific industry. That said I tip waiters.

BostonBanker

Hm, I do occasionally stay at DoubleTree. Usually I stay at 'lower class' places that probably expect it even less - but I would guess, by the same token, the people doing the work are probably making less money. I try to be super clean in hotel rooms, right down to carrying out my own trash and covering everything in the room with my own sheets (because let's be honest, the dogs are on the bed), but I still always leave something. If nothing else, hopefully it makes that person's day a little brighter. It's like when the person ahead of me pays my toll or for my coffee - not expected of course, but it always makes me chipper for the rest of the day!

Hm, I do occasionally stay at DoubleTree. Usually I stay at 'lower class' places that probably expect it even less - but I would guess, by the same token, the people doing the work are probably making less money. I try to be super clean in hotel rooms, right down to carrying out my own trash and covering everything in the room with my own sheets (because let's be honest, the dogs are on the bed), but I still always leave something. If nothing else, hopefully it makes that person's day a little brighter. It's like when the person ahead of me pays my toll or for my coffee - not expected of course, but it always makes me chipper for the rest of the day!
People like you are very much appreciated. Actually, it was usually the really clean people who left tips. We usually didn't get tips from the family that left 100 dirty towels thrown about the room, crushed cereal/potato chips all over the floor and sticky hand prints all over the furniture.

Or the people that flipped all the furniture upside down in the room and put plastic wrap over the toilet so there was urine all over the floor.

It's really nice to get a couple bucks in a room so you can buy yourself a bottle of pop after a really long and hot day cleaning rooms.

AliciaD

On second thought...
I always tip servers. I had a friend a while back whose server was over heard mumbling a homophobic slur to describe them~ so if I got service bad enough I felt it warranted a talk with the manager or ruined my day I obviously wouldn't tip, but I would tip mediocre, distracted, slow service with at least 15%.

If your meal is properly timed so that you get your appetizers and courses in the right order, your drinks are refilled, the staff is friendly and checks in without being overbearing, that's like 20%. I'm a vegetarian. If they check ingredients for me, go out of their way to make a meal vegetarian, ask the chef if they can make something special or particular that would warrant like 25% to 30%. I like tipping. It makes me feel good. If I'm having a special meal with friends or family, I think it's nice to end it by treating your server well.

I tip food delivery people too. Did the food arrive on time and in good condition? Is it packaged well? If it's snowing, raining, or they compliment my dogs I give a little extra.

Idk. I really like tipping, :p

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I've never tipped hotel maids, but I generally leave a hotel in the same condition it was found it, sometimes with slightly more dog hair, but I stay in places like motel6 and stuff lol, which also means no bellhop to tip.

I tip waitstaff always, and bartenders always. 18% is what I normally tip. 15% is the service sucked arse. If it was really really good and everything was great, I'll tip 20% and up. If the service was terrible and the food was bad and they did nothing to fix the problem I will NOT leave a tip. I expect service, I don't expect being waited on hand and foot, but if I haven't received at least mediocre service, or if the waitstaff was a total douche, I won't tip.

I tip taxi's usually like, five to ten bucks. But I hardly ever take a taxi anywhere anyway. It's literally been more than a decade.

I don't tip at coffee shops simply because I order a coke most of the time. They press a button and it's done. If they were really nice or chatty or something, I probably would leave a tip. Some dining places that are sort of serve yourself or order at a counter and get a number, I'll leave a small tip if I have cash.

At diners, like Waffle House or Huddle House or whatever is the equivalent, if the food is really really good, I'll tip the cook as well as the server.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
easy way to calculate tips with a sit down meal is to double the tax on the bill.

So if the tax is 5.25 , I will tip 10.00 .

I hope you get to come on this trip and enjoy every minute!

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I used to wait tables so I'm generally a "start at 20%" tipper for table service and generally at least throw the change in the counter cup. If I'm in the drive through at Dunkin or something and my bill is 6.50, I'll tell her to just give back 2 bucks and throw the rest in the jar.

Some places will automatically include a tip in the check if you ask them to (or automatically if you're in a large party). If you don't want to do maths, just ask if they can auto do that. Often it's 18% in my experience.

As for hotels, I generally leave 1 or 2 dollars a day when I stay (my company allows me to expense up to 2 dollars daily for hotel maid tips). I place it hanging over the alarm clock. If they don't take it, I'll leave a note saying, "this is for you" or something along those lines.

Cabs, I usually at least round it up if not give a 10% or more tip, especially if the ride was good. If I farted in his cab, I'll tip higher :rofl1:

Other things you may not experience here is when someone loads your car for you (like when I get stuff at the garden supply store, etc.) I will generally offer them a few bucks. They don't always take it, which is fine. I have done that job as well in my youth and always appreciated when people would throw me a buck or two. Paid for my lunch, usually.

So, a guideline to use, if someone is providing a service for you and there is a fee involved (table service at a restaurant, cab ride, hair cut) offer a tip based on a simple percentage of the fee you are paying. If someone is providing a service for you that doesn't generally have a fee attached (such as maid service at a hotel, carrying bags, loading your car), then a couple of bucks is fairly standard.

Everyone is on a budget, especially when travelling abroad, so don't kill yourself over it.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
easy way to calculate tips with a sit down meal is to double the tax on the bill.

So if the tax is 5.25 , I will tip 10.00 .

I hope you get to come on this trip and enjoy every minute!
What's the sales tax in LA? In PA, it's 6%, so that would only be a 12% tip.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I think know the only people I ever tip are waiters. Oops. LOL I've never tipped a hotel maid in my life. I don't go to bars, son I've never tipped a barman. I don't tip at fast food restaurants. Heck, I've never even tipped my hairdresser. o_O

Omg I tip my hairdresser 15-20% a visit!

I have been a maid, and worked in fast food and restaurant kitchen, I tip because I know.
This is essentially me. I've been a hotel maid, a groomer, a hairstylist, and a bartender. The only one that was strange to receive tips for was a hotel maid, but because I worked at a hotel where I made a really good wage and tips did not make up for my wages. I also tip my tattoo artist/piercer.

I don't tip my stylist because I live with him. :p

Members online