Raw food

RBark

Got Floof?
I was wondering how much those of you who feed raw, feed your dogs. It's been at least 5 years since I've fed raw, and I don't really remember what I did. I do remember that Ollie ate some ridiculous amount, so it's not really applicable here. Priscilla was larger and a puppy, so also not applicable.

I'm just trying to figure out a good starting number for a 45 pound, highly active dog (12+ months)

I'm not looking for an exact number, because i just add more if they lose weight, and cut back if they gain too much weight. I just need to make an order from a local raw fed co-op and don't want to end up buying a couple year's worth of food because I overestimated it :p

Carma weighs about 49 pounds and is highly, highly active. She gets fed twice a day when I can, or once a day if we are going to be spending all day training/traveling.

If its twice a day, she will usually get either one huge turkey neck, or maybe 4-5 duck necks, or 2-3 chicken backs in the morning. Then a large handful of beef/tripe/organ mix at night.

If it's once a day she will get a combo of the things above (a chicken back and a turkey neck, or a few duck necks and a chicken back or two) and a normal handful of the beef mix. If I think she needs to lose a few pounds, I will hold back a little on the food. If she needs to gain, then I will add some more. The only reason raw is working so well for us is because I'm not crazy over involved in portioning things out so exact and being crazy about it. I just judge by the condition of my dogs. They love it and its easy for us.

For being so psychotically active, I expected her to each much, much more. My boyfriend has a 75ish pound male who eats double that. My more laid back 80lbs male eats only slightly more than Carma.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno weighs 50lbs and gets fed 1lb a day on raw (split into 2 meals). I watch the poops, hers get soft when she's fed too much.

Dear God, what is wrong with my dogs? Gimmick is 24lbs and eats about a pound a day. He is young and intact, though not terrifically active.

Gambit is 35lbs, and eats about 2.5lbs a day. Though in his case, I think being neurotic burns a lot of calories.

SpringerLover

Buzz is a 50 pound geriatric dog who gets a pound of raw beef blend (meat, bone, organ), 1/2ish pound of beef tripe, and sweet potatoes (he needs the carbs) each day.

50ish pound Gabby is on a weight loss plan and eats around 3/4 pound total per day.

On raw days...

Missy (75lbs, 7yrs, spayed) eats about 1.5 lbs/day. Jack (25lbs, 6yrs, neutered) eats 1/2 lb per day. Heidi (25lbs, 9yrs, spayed) eats 1/2 lb per day. Always split into two meals.

I would say they range from day to day from low to moderate activity.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin is about teetering on 50 lbs and very active, he gets about a pound a day split into two meals (not for any real reason just because if he doesn't get "dinner", he will follow me around lol)

Mostly whole prey..rabbits, chicken, hen, duck, pheasant (just because it's easier) but sometimes I'll do chicken backs, venison, random anything...

RBark

Got Floof?
Sounds like I should expect to feed about 1LB a day when she's close to full grown. Thanks!

Toller_08

Journey is precisely 40lbs, gets a fair amount of activity based on my demanding work schedule, and eats about 1 pound of raw a day now (split into two meals). For a while she was eating upwards of 2lbs a day, before her first heat. Her metabolism seemed to slow down afterward though. She doesn't need nearly as much food now for some reason.

Dance is somewhere between 28-30lbs and eats a mere half pound of raw per day. I feel like I'm starving her. But if I feed her more, she packs on weight like crazy.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.