Dog Trainers, I'm Talking to You!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
And I can live in your basement? :D
Oh I'm sure Tim Tebow has a nice friend we can introduce you to and then you can get married and we can live next door to each other behind our dog training facility!

After you get going on that front, as others have said, I would also very strongly recommend finding a trainer in your area that follows your own personal methodology. Whether you use more "traditional" methods, or are looking for someone who is a clicker trainer, talk to them, attend their group classes if possible, and if you like how they do things, THEN find out if they offer any sort of apprenticeship program.
I want to ditto this. If you are working for somebody else, it can be an interesting situation when your methodology is different. When I teach my own classes, it is less of a big deal, but when I come in and sub for somebody and see students walking around jerking their dogs all over the place, I can't tell them not to do that, because their other instructor has told them to issue major collar corrections. It would be easier if I was teaching somewhere that everybody was positive based rather than corrections based, or if it was my own facility where everybody would be positive based - but that's not the case.

casey82

Update.YAY! So... I've been sitting and observing a trainer for about the last 6 weeks. This morning I get an e-mail out of the blue telling me she's impressed by my enthusiasm and willingness to learn, and asked me if I wanted to start assisting her and then teaching classes. OMG, to say I'm excited is an understatemet. She said when I start teaching for her she would either pay me hourly or develope a training program to continue my education and would prepare me for the CCPDT test. Honestly, I could really use the money but I'd rather continue my education. Thoughts on the CCPDT certification?

SpringerLover

Update.YAY! So... I've been sitting and observing a trainer for about the last 6 weeks. This morning I get an e-mail out of the blue telling me she's impressed by my enthusiasm and willingness to learn, and asked me if I wanted to start assisting her and then teaching classes. OMG, to say I'm excited is an understatemet. She said when I start teaching for her she would either pay me hourly or develope a training program to continue my education and would prepare me for the CCPDT test. Honestly, I could really use the money but I'd rather continue my education. Thoughts on the CCPDT certification?
Congrats!

The CCPDT is pretty highly regarded. One of my good friends just took her exam. It's definitely something I'd look for if I didn't already have the connections I do.

SaraB

Yay!!! Very cool!!

That, folks, is how it's done. :D

ETA: My opinion on the CPDT is that it's expensive. Your average client doesn't know what that means and they aren't looking for it, so it will most likely not gain you clients. It will however standardize your knowledge to the rest of the dog training community.

Members online

No members online now.