Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
^ Yup, beat me to it :) Sometimes if someone has one scent they'd like to always use, they'll instead make a perfume balm using beeswax and oil droplets, press the balm resin into the locket, and use the locket as both a scent compartment and for finger applications to the skin. But since I have a lot of oils I enjoy using, I would do the cloth trick, and wipe it out between uses.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Adding a few of my recent reviews... I don't think I've added any of these ones. C&P from my ScentBase profile - other scent nerds should join this site! More reviews soon, I'm still figuring out how I feel about a lot of my recent scents.

BON VIVANT
An effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry.

In the imp: It smells a bit too much like cough syrup for my tastes. Not quite what I expected from the descriptors.

Wet on skin: Still cough syrupy. Not much change, though the smell was less pungent.

Dry on skin: Actually, quite pleasant. The champagne notes finally come out. Something else sweet... not the strawberry as I expected... more of a grape. A very wine-like scent. I actually quite like it.

DREAM FORMULA V: SOMNUS
Named after the Roman God of Sleep. This blend helps bring on deep, restful, natural sleep.

Instead of using this one on my skin, I went with the BPAL forum recommendation of using it directly on my pillow before bed.

Imp: It smelled... acidic. Which is an odd descriptor, I know, but. Definitely lots of lavender and jasmine notes underneath it, and some other floral notes I think.

Wet on pillow: It smelled like... fresh cat urine. Uh oh. Was this a good idea? I sat up blogging on my laptop for a bit because the smell was so horrific. However...

Dry on pillow: ... it suddenly smelled like I had fresh lavender nearby and a hot soothing mug of chamomile-jasmine tea. Oh sweetness, this is so soothing and restful a-zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I've almost used up the imp at this point, and this is becoming a high-priority 5ml. I've adapted the application — to apply the oil before going to brush my teeth and wash up, that way it's had time to dry before I lay on the pillow. The scent may be placebo effect, but what do I care? I find it gives me a more restful sleep, and is a gorgeous scent... when dry.

RPG SERIES: ELF
Pale golden musk, honeycomb, amber, parma violet, hawthorne bark, aspen leaf, forest lily, life everlasting, white moss, and a hint of wild berry.

In Imp: Soap. Dish soap. Pine dish soap. Hrm.

Wet on skin: Suddenly, honey and a hint of berry. Still soapy undertones, but it already smells much better. Like I've used a fruity homemade soap.

Dry on skin: Took a long while to lose the dish soap scent, but lose it I did. I'm now finally getting notes more along the lines of what I expected from this oil... lilies, berries and light musk. Girly with a kick. I really like this once dry.

This is one I could see myself eventually getting a 5ml of. It's girly without being overwhelmingly so, but it takes awhile to lose the soapy scent.

RPG SERIES: HALFLING
Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs.

In imp: Fresh rice pudding with cinnamon and raisins.

Wet on skin: About the same, with some gingery and buttery notes rising.

Dry on skin: Cinnamon, butter. Warmth. Comfort foods.

Halfling is a deliciously cozy scent. It's a scent I want to wear when I'm spending a day at home in my pyjamas with my knitting, my dog and a movie or two. This is on my 5ml want list.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I got a new batch yesterday! Bumping my own thread yet again. Trying to get everyone back into the fun. :D

The stash:
5ml of Pele (Plumeria and lilies)
5ml of Somnus (helps me sleep, srsly!)

Six imps ordered:
Good
Chaotic
Thalia
Jailbait
Belle Epoque

And since I ordered three "items", I got six bonus frimps!
Vice (already had this one, bah)
Viola
The Black Rider
Al-Shairan
Athens
The Raven

Since I finally received Good, and was only missing a Class oil, I decided to test out the RPG series original concept, which was to "create a character" by blending the oils from race, class, and alignment to create a unique scent. I chose to try a Lawful Good Elf. I put a dot each of Lawful, Good and Elf on my wrist and pressed them together to blend. It's still wet so far, but it smells honeysweet and leafy-herby. So very cool, wow. Maybe I'll be a Chaotic Good Halfling tomorrow. XD Class oils are on my list for next order!

Anyone placing an order soooooon? C'mon, I feel so alone. XD

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I'm placing an order soon! I'm considering getting a bottle of Smut 2012, but I'm leery about ordering a bottle unsmelled. I haven't found any decants for sale yet.

For imps, I'm getting:

Lyonesse (I lost my original :()
Antikythera Mechanism
Blood Kiss

And I need to decide on three more from the following:

Bordello
Blood Countess
Hollywood Babylon
All in a Golden Afternoon
Bewitched
Swank
Wanda
Perversion

Taqroy

I've been wanting to order since this thread started but 1) there are waaaaay too many options for me, 2) I hardly ever wear smelly stuff and 3) I have a hard time justifying funds for something that I probably won't wear very much. :(

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I'm placing an order soon! I'm considering getting a bottle of Smut 2012, but I'm leery about ordering a bottle unsmelled. I haven't found any decants for sale yet.

For imps, I'm getting:

Lyonesse (I lost my original :()
Antikythera Mechanism
Blood Kiss

And I need to decide on three more from the following:

Bordello
Blood Countess
Hollywood Babylon
All in a Golden Afternoon
Bewitched
Swank
Wanda
Perversion
Awesome!

My opinion: I like the sounds of Bordello over Blood Countess (sounds lucious and fruity, similar notes to one another). Otherwise all of these scents sound interesting. Choose a wide variety of notes and jump in. :D

You must let me know how you like Antikythera Mechanism. It's my sister's absolute favourite scent thus far, and her signature scent.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I'm bumping this up :D

I was advised by BPAL not to use it during pregnancy, because they can not guarantee ingredients are safe, blah blah blah (I think they were being EXTREMELY careful). With so much going on since Carter was born, I've been a bit pre-occupied to get back in. But I'm back now! My sense of smell seems to have come back, which was gone for at least 3 months. It seems I might have experienced a bit of a body chemistry change in scents. Some of the ones I'd bought that I ADORE, seem to have a difference in. First example is Eat Me. After wearing it about 4 hours, it turns plastic-y :(

Also, I just missed out on Eos being discontinued, and I'm completely heartbroken. That might be my very #1 favourite that I would wear every single day. Now I have to treat it very carefully.

I'm itchy to do another order, but I have so many things to test and re-test that I might have to wait a little while before bringing more in. I'll see if I'm strong willed ;)

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
FRAGGLE ROCK!!!!!

I just got my newest order in the mail this week... I must be patient to read reviews when people start getting these! (repeating over and over and try not to just order Red NOW!)

M

MyHorseMyRules

Gah! Darn you. Now I'm putting together another order...

These, I think I'm getting for sure:
Envy
Glasgow
O
Wrath

And I'm considering these:
Siren
Serpent's Kiss
Good
Bon Vivant
Aureus
Calico Jack

On a side note, I had never read the description for Roadhouse before, and it's just awesome. lol I don't want it, but it's funny.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
FRAGGLE ROCK!!!!!

I just got my newest order in the mail this week... I must be patient to read reviews when people start getting these! (repeating over and over and try not to just order Red NOW!)
EEEE Nilly, so glad you can enjoy your scents again. I really need to get back to my reviewing. I have a ton of scents I haven't even tried yet. :yikes::yikes:

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
My smell is very general and not entirely accurate at this point but I've gotten to pick a few smells I love. The bpal oils I have are a mixed bag. Some are great but a couple gave me a horrid rash so I've found some Other cool places:

www.ohwto.com

One Hand Washes the Other, she also does custom scents and amazing soaps.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/darlingclandestine

Super fun owner that has wonderful scents that aren't all fruity/flowery.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
So I've joined a "Decant Circle" on BPAL.org because I want to try Fraggle Rock stuff SO BADLY but I can't buy 5mL bottles on something I've never tried. I'm excited for this!

I've had such a backlog from when I wasn't able to use/smell my scents that I hadn't even tried yet, I've been testing 3-4 every morning. There are a LOT that aren't going to work for me, it might be my body chemistry change, because some of my favourites before (Eat Me is my biggest example) just don't work on me now. Eat Me works for about 4 hours, then changes into something not delicious or yummy. Miskatonic University has the same problem. Really nice as it was for me before, but fades after 2 hours into just the dusty element and no hint of the yummy coffee :(

Members online