Is he really a Dog ?

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
OK ... it's Roy again .... :)

I would love to leave Roy [ 7-month old GSD ] in the backyard when I am at work but the problem is he eats grass ... I swear he does and seems to enjoy it. Does anyone have info. on such a thing ? What can I do about it ?

Thanks

Saje

Island dweller
It's normal. All dogs eat grass. I've heard it helps clean them out and I suppose that's true. If you leave your dog out all day you will have a lot more to worry about than just eating grass! I'm sure you'll provide a safe environment for them though. :)

Y

yuckaduck

Yes he is a dog, it is normal. THis may help

Eating grass seems to be a normal behavior for dogs even though we tend
to think that their diet should consist of other things. There have been a
number of studies done trying to link grass eating with illness, vitamin
or mineral deficiencies, lack of roughage in the diet and other things ---
all without producing a strong correlation to any particular problem.

It is interesting that your dogs are choosing particular spots. If the
grass is different in this spot it may just taste better. I know of
several dogs in my practice who eat grass that other dogs have urinated on. If
it is possible that this is happening it might explain the preference for
these spots, since many dogs urinate in the same spot frequently.

I wish that I did have an answer for this question, as it is a frequent
one in my practice.

What value is eating grass to dogs

Question: Is there nutritive or palliative value in certain grasses? If so, would
you know which grasses? And what is in those grasses that will make dogs
or cats eat them?

Answer:
I am sure that there are nutrients in grasses but I don't think that there are ones that are essential to dog or cat health that are not found in their usual diet. I do not know of any therapeutic value to grass ingestion. That doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't some value I'm not aware of, though.

I think that some dogs and cats like the taste or texture of grass. Wild dogs and cats probably ingest grass as part of their diet when they eat herbivores who have ingested grass so it may be a flavor they have a genetic predisposition to like, although that is just conjecture on my part.

most GSD's love to graze ha ha ha
he only chew on the tall sweet grass right?
mine do it too, I was told by other GSD breeders not to worry
they all do it

any body else think differently? I'd love to hear !

Bonnie

Y

yuckaduck

All three of mine do it and they have never up chucked because of it.

I always thought it was to clean their stomachs but the vet said no that is an old wives tale. It is simply a lack of certain vitamins and the grass acts as a supplement.

R

rottiegirl

Every dog and cat I have had, eats grass. It is completely normal and it is actually good for them. I wouldnt be worried.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Just think you wont need to mow your lawn :) Nalla and Izzy eat grass also, so your isnt being abnormal.

EliNHunter

All my dogs have eaten grass from time to time. But they always heave afterwards. I think it's when their tummy is upset and they know throwing up will help them to feel better afterward, but who knows? If your dog eats grass, PLEASE be careful about what you put on your grass (fertilizer, even). I use NO chemicals on my grass.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Right now I have to take Dante out on a leash in the morning (First trip out at 4:45am) because he wants to graze and then potty and I want him to potty and come in!!!

I would really think about leaving him outside while you're gone. GSDs are notorious for not doing well alone all day outside. Digging, barking, fence jumping/climbing.
Besides of course the safety factor of the dog being out for others to harm.

Members online

No members online now.