Puppy

Doggie07

Hey you guys, good news! I found a store that carries Blue Buffalo puppy food that's closer than petsmart!

Saintgirl

I'd be more than happy to share with you any information that you want about Saint Bernards....they are my passion.

First of all I want to set the record straight-----Their is no such thing as a dry mouth Saint Bernard. Some can have drier mouths than others, and no they do not drool all of the time. Infact some of them do not drool much at all, maybe only after a big drink of water. But physiologically the breed has loose jowels and this is the reason that they drool.

Another thing to consider is the number one reason that Saint Bernards are rehomed is because of their size. You have already indicated that you were worried about the size of the Saint/BC X. So you have to ask yourself what is the biggest you are comfortable with a dog getting. A Saint/BC will not be as big as a pure Saint but will still be a big dog, especially a male.

Saints may not be the brightest breed, but they are easily trainable. They are very eager to please their owners. The reason that their is such an emphasis on training a Saint is because an unruly 100lb puppy can cause a tremendous amount of damage and problems. Some Saint owners and breeders will say that Saints are very intellegent dogs. But I always joke that the only thing that isn't giant about them is their brains!

Also, keep in mind that a Saint is very prone to joint issues. The health history of any Saint or SaintX is important when considering the future health of your pup. The last thing you want is a 100lb dog that can barely walk when it is 4 years old. it is heartbreaking and can cost you into the thousands.

Either way, whatever you do get I can't wait to see pictures!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Have you ever been around a Border Collie? You need to meet one. At least. Same for Aussies.

Aussies are just as smart as Border Collies. They are similiar in personality, but do have some differences like Zoom pointed out.

They are high drive. They reqiure lots of exercise. They require lots of mental stimulation. They require lots of training - they may be very smart, but they'll use it for there own good if left up to them. They like to have a "job" or purpose.

I hope you will think long and hard about getting a Border Collie and not just because it's a cute puppy now.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The st bernard/border collie could end up just as crazy active as a bc or just as low key as the saint. You may get the least desirable qualities of both breeds and you won't know until they're an adult. BCs and saints are at two different ends of the spectrum. You could get anything in between.

Border collies are very smart dogs but I think the label of them as 'THE Smartest dog breed' is a) subjective and b) gives people the wrong expectations of the breed. Intelligence in dogs is not something we can truly measure and all dogs are individuals. I had shelties, also known as one of the 'smartest breeds'. One of my shelties was honestly a moron, lol. Not all border collies or herders are going to be the smartest. It just doesn't work that way. Herders (aussies and border collies included) tend to have extremely high working intelligence compared to other breeds. They work for people and tend to want to please.

Also, assuming a smart dog is an easy dog is about the worst thing you can do. I have a very very very smart dog right now and let me tell you she is constantly thinking and problem solving and manipulating. Dogs like this often take MORE work, not less. Just because border collies are 'smart', dont' expect the dog to be easier to train or deal with. You have to remember to be smarter than your dog, which is a challenge. People get smart dogs and expect them to train themselves... doesn't work.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Also about this:

Both breeds have good enough temperment to get along with children and elderly people.
I love herders but it is not uncommon for them to be rather aloof and even reactive.

A stable tempered, well socialized herder will be a great dog but they're not golden retrievers and a lot don't really care all that much for people that aren't theirs.

Members online

No members online now.