Dumped Dogs

mctraill

Hi
I just came back from walking my dog in the park and found a little black cocker spaniel dog curled up on my front door step. It is all wet and matted with god knows what as it smells really bad. The poor thing looks as if it has been dumped, it has no collar on and it is wimpering just wanting someone to be nice to it.

I called the Animal control people who are coming to collect it, I know it may be put to sleep if a new home cant be found for it, but I did the right thing didnt I, its better than a life on the street for the poor little mite. I wish I could keep it as it is a sweet thing but I cant.

We live near a main road and it seems to be a popular place for dumping dogs in the last 4 weeks I have seen 6 dogs just roaming around with no collars and looking very much the worse for wear, why do people do it, there are a number of places you can turn your dogs into if you dont want them anymore, it breaks my heart and makes me so angry.:mad:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
That is so sad that people do that. You did the right thing for the poor little dog.

My dog Zeus was a dumped dog. He was found wandering next to a highway, completely bewildered.

Why do people do these things? Is it THAT hard to take a dog to the humane society or animal shelter?

mctraill

I wonder what kind of people they are to get up in the morning and think today I am going to dump the dog. Do they feed it first, do they pet it and play with it first and then how can they drive away, do they look in the mirror as they go, these are the questions I continually ask my husband,lol poor guy, he says I make his ears bleed when I get on my soap box.
I am from the UK and have only lived in the US for 8 months but I am so shocked as to the amount of dogs I see dumped, roaming around lose and being sold by the road side, arent there laws to regulate this?

Debi

we've had 4 dogs in the past couple years, and I've posted my rant about this subject before. it is the most heartbreaking thing to see the dogs looking so lost and sad. we live on a rural back road, so I guess they think we're just perfect....afterall, we have dogs..we must want more. the last little beagle must have been dumped awhile ago, he was in really bad shape. I also can't imagine what people think.....how they sleep at night after just dumping a member of their family. there are laws, but since you never see the car that dumps them it's hopeless. they never wear collars. I try to rationalize it sometimes, thinking maybe taking the dog to a shelter is just too expensive for a family living hard times. it still just breaks my heart so deeply. one little dog .......if only you could have looked into those brokenhearted eyes..........

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Ugh! I hate people who dump their dogs!! WHY do they do it???? You'd think with the screwed up world of today, they'd try to sell it for money or something, but NO! They drop it off thinking, oh he/she'll find a home. NOT! We've had NOT 1 NOT 2 but THREE dogs dropped on us in the last 2 weeks!!!! GAH! 1st it was a Pit Bull, and a Beagle, and today, my dad says "look, there's a dog outside" I go out there, and it's a Beagle(not the same one). She's extremely dehydrated (her skin stands up when you pull on it) she's skin and bones (her ribs, and haunches are protruding) and she's got a LARGE mammery tumor on one of her breasts....To bring it all together, I'd say she's about 8-12yrs of age, and she's in HEAT! *slaps self* The poor thing. I'm assuming she has some sort of mammery cancer from being bred a million times. If you're not going to RESPONSIBLY breed your dog, SPAY/NEUTER it! PLEASE! I'm really upset about this....Everytime the dog moves she whines. That tumor is causing her immence pain, and there's nothing I can do about it....She smells HORRIBLE, and I'm sure she's never been inside in her life. She's either been dropped here, or she's escaped a horrible home. Either way, the dog is in a bad situation. We're going to call SPCA if she's still here when my parents get back. I gave her water, but she was to exhausted to drink. :( I had to get some water on my finger, and rub it on her gums, and she realised it was good, and lapped up TWO bowls of water. :yikes: I feel so bad for this dog....If we hadn' already put a hold on the Shih Tzu we're getting, I'd keep her. She's such a sweet dog, and she needs a home who's actually going to care for her....I know that with that tumor removed, and a good bath, she'll be a happy little dog. Poor baby...

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
we've had 4 dogs in the past couple years, and I've posted my rant about this subject before. it is the most heartbreaking thing to see the dogs looking so lost and sad. we live on a rural back road, so I guess they think we're just perfect....afterall, we have dogs..we must want more. the last little beagle must have been dumped awhile ago, he was in really bad shape. I also can't imagine what people think.....how they sleep at night after just dumping a member of their family. there are laws, but since you never see the car that dumps them it's hopeless. they never wear collars. I try to rationalize it sometimes, thinking maybe taking the dog to a shelter is just too expensive for a family living hard times. it still just breaks my heart so deeply. one little dog .......if only you could have looked into those brokenhearted eyes..........

We live on a rural backroad also...they think "oh these farm people won't even notice a new addtion." :mad:

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Some of my favorite pets have been ones that people dropped off on our farm. Bella, my little black and white kitten, is the newest drop off. People just don't have the guts to take the animal to the shelter themselves - spineless @$^*&#*s that they are.

You did the right thing by calling the shelter. Not much else you can do if you can't keep the dog yourself. The shelter will (hopefully) get the poor little thing all cleaned up. Even if she ends up being euthanized, it's better than starving to death on the streets or getting hit by a car.

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
I hear ya, guys. :p

I posted another thread about a woman who fell victim to dumpings...... to the tune of over 100 dogs!!!

I think that shelters and animal control around here are very aggressive when you go to drop something off - they make you feel *real* bad -- when my Niko kitty, a cat I owned then had to rehome and then found in the shelter this summer (ugh) got dropped off by his scum of the earth new home, she told them he was a stray that had been hanging around for several months! *rolls eyes*

Personally, I would rather do away with a dog before I dropped it off on a road where it could get hit and killed, or worse hit and maimed and wander off onto someone's property to die a painful death - or in the woods where it could be seriously injured by wildlife.

Members online

No members online now.