Love The New Lens (+ Finally Feels Like Fall)

Equinox

Warning: Very picture heavy!

I finally caved and picked up an 85mm f/1.8 a few weeks ago, although I wasn't completely sure how I felt about my decision. It's the most I've ever spent on a lens, and I already did have the 50mm f/1.8. Plus, 85mm on a DX camera just isn't the easiest focal length to work with... But having admired Alexis' photos for the longest time, and then hearing another photographer (on another dog forum) rave about the lens, I eventually decided to go for it.

Anyway, I didn't get to really test it out with Trent until this past weekend. And holy crap, I absolutely LOVE this lens. LOVE. The focal length is a little inconvenient, but it makes up for it in every single way. I love the quality, the speed, the creamy smoothness of the backgrounds, and how clean the images look. I'm just so thrilled with it.

On to the pictures!

Just as I was complaining about how unseasonal my neighborhood looked, the leaves all began to fall.

Hey Trent, you have something stuck... all over your head

Oh well

Frolicking

Equinox

And posing, of course

Flying leap!

Gorgeous boy

And a stacked picture to end the day. The bad graffiti annoys me, but it was the best background I could find.

Equinox

On the next day, we went for an afternoon walk to one of the nearby fields. Unfortunately it's also under construction, so we're enjoying it while it lasts.

More Fall-y pictures

Cute dog is cute

Annnnd, he's bored

...so he ran off the bridge and decided to go swimming in the mud.

"Crap, Mom doesn't look happy. Well, Mom likes it when I climb high places, right?"

Yes. Yes, I do <3

Equinox

Later that evening, we headed out for pictures during my favorite time of the day. Hope everyone isn't feeling bored of these golden hour pictures!! I really wanted to test out the lens and wow - I love how it photographs light!

These first few are straight out of camera.

Frolicking again

All smiles!

Spotted a groundhog

Sometimes I wonder if he's part pointer or hound

Ready to head home!

Thanks for looking!

JacksonsMom

Wow... love that dog. And love these pictures. I have really been wanting a new lens, I still just have my kit. Now you've got me wanting that lens! Though I may go for the 50mm first simply because of price. Trent is gorgeous.

Kootenay

Amazing photos!!

I desperately need at least one new lens, I hadn't ever considered this one before but I will definitely keep it in mind now!

Equinox

Cool lighting. I especially love the last two!
The lighting was just perfect! Really glad I was able to catch it in my pictures.

Wow... love that dog. And love these pictures. I have really been wanting a new lens, I still just have my kit. Now you've got me wanting that lens! Though I may go for the 50mm first simply because of price. Trent is gorgeous.
Thank you so much!! And yes, new camera gear for everyone :D The 50mm is a fantastic lens, especially for the price. Even though I have the 85mm now, I'll definitely still be holding on to my 50mm. You should definitely go for it, and post a million pictures!

Love Trent and your lens and your Trent.
I'm pretty crazy about him, too <3 And the lens, the lens is awesome too LOL

Beautiful photos. Trent is so pretty! Er...handsome? Whatever, I want him. :p
Thanks! Pretty and handsome are both equally awesome and appreciated!

Also, he would actually fit in well with your signature LOL Honorary short legged pup?

Amazing photos!!

I desperately need at least one new lens, I hadn't ever considered this one before but I will definitely keep it in mind now!
Thanks! Of all my dream lenses, this one is the most affordable, and I'm so glad I got it! Maybe one day I'll be able to get a fixed aperture zoom, too :cool:

Very nice photos!
Thanks so much!!

Beautiful pictures :)

Fall colors and Trent go well together :D
Thank you! I usually remove Trent's collar for pictures, but the red looked really great with him and the background, so I kept it on. I love Fall colors!

Red.Apricot

I love these photos!

Trent is such a handsome dog--he really reminds me of the GSDs I grew up with. I'm without a GSD in my life for the first time ever and it's not a happy place to be.

He's so gorgeous.

Equinox

I love these photos!

Trent is such a handsome dog--he really reminds me of the GSDs I grew up with. I'm without a GSD in my life for the first time ever and it's not a happy place to be.

He's so gorgeous.
Thank you! Makes my heart happy that he reminds you of your childhood GSDs (and then sad that you don't have one now :c ) <3 I know Elsie's just the bestest dog ever, but I can also imagine how you feel. I hope to always have a German Shepherd with me - especially a dog like Trent.

Zoo

135mm is a pretty classic focal length, which is not far off from what your 85mm gives you... I am more a fan of that than I am the 50mm on crop sensors... I have a 75mm/1.4 that is manual focus that I love for portraits.

Your pictures look fantastic!

Equinox

looks like someone is having fun with a new lens :) Great pictures!
Thanks!! Definitely having a lot of fun - I also remember your neat photos with the 85mm, which also convinced me to just go for it.

135mm is a pretty classic focal length, which is not far off from what your 85mm gives you... I am more a fan of that than I am the 50mm on crop sensors... I have a 75mm/1.4 that is manual focus that I love for portraits.

Your pictures look fantastic!
Thanks! And yep, I think the 85mm is around 136mm on my DX camera, so almost 135mm on the dot. I definitely like the outcome and compression more than the 50mm on my crop sensor (making it about 80mm) in actuality.

The 75mm f/1.4 sounds really neat! I'd love to play with an f/1.4 lens some day.

Members online

No members online now.