Solid stools

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fred has never really had solid stools. More like whippy ice cream than sausages (sorry lol).

They haven't changed. He's not got diarrhea, or anything. We changed his food, and they've stayed the same. He's fully wormed.

Should we be worried?

As long as he's growing, gaining weight appropriately, and thriving otherwise, I would maybe just have your vet check a few serial stool samples even though he's been dewormed... sometimes it takes more than one to find parasites because they aren't laying eggs 24/7, so not all random samples have eggs in them.

Otherwise I personally wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Squash was the same way, he had softish stools for a long time and I've seen a lot of other puppies that just have this sort of chronically a little bit soft stool despite good diet, food changes, deworming, negative fecals, etc. Most of them eventually grow out of it. As you probably already know, there's a lot of immune tissue and various populations of organisms in the gut, and I think for whatever reason it takes some of these puppies a while for their system to get the balance of things quite right as they're maturing.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Thanks. I've not worried, because they've been the same all the time, but thought it was worth checking.

Tailcreek

Would you be worried if you yourself had this type of a stool consistently? Would you think this was an indication that something was not quite right? Just because this is a very common thing to see in our dog population today does not mean it's nothing to worry about and that everything is ok. This type of a stool indicates that the dogs digestive system is not working properly!

Jennifer
www.thenaturalcarnivore.com
www.tailcreekmastiffs.com

CaliTerp07

Lucy's had that her whole life. We've never been able to fix it. We tried a half dozen different proteins before settling on fish which makes it bearable (though still not good, by any means)

I'm sure it's not good, but there's nothing we can do about it. Numerous vet visits, dozens of talks with pet nutritionists, and no one can make it stop. She seems no worse for the wear, so we go with it and just clean her behind once in a while.

Members online

No members online now.