Dogs 101 on YouTube

Hey everyone,

I was looking on YouTube at different stuff, and then I saw Dogs 101, so I searched that and was looking through the different breeds. When I clicked on the Rottweiler one, I started watching it, and then they said something that I don't really think is true...from what I've heard, it's not really Pit Bulls (I know that Pit Bulls aren't really all the same breed, or a breed at all, but a grouping of different breeds) that are the top cause for dog-related deaths. According to this video, Pit Bulls are the number one cause for dog-related deaths, and Rottweilers are second. Now, I believe that if a dog attacks someone, it's their owners irresponsibility that caused it, but I think that the Dogs 101 video may be giving the wrong information-is this true, or no? Sorry if this post is kind of confusing, I tend to ramble a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1KuNfSCcW8

Doberluv

I don't know about the truth or falseness of the statistics but I don't think that's the most important part of this. I think the video was very good, pointed out the importance of training and didn't "pretty" up the breed to make it look like it was a good choice for just anyone. And it didn't make the breed look like an indiscriminate "killer." It was a sensible and informative little clip to let people know that there's nothing wrong with the breed itself, that it's a fine breed in the right hands. And that is true with just about any breed but especially ones bred strongly for guarding and protecting.

I don't know about the truth or falseness of the statistics but I don't think that's the most important part of this. I think the video was very good, pointed out the importance of training and didn't "pretty" up the breed to make it look like it was a good choice for just anyone. And it didn't make the breed look like an indiscriminate "killer." It was a sensible and informative little clip to let people know that there's nothing wrong with the breed itself, that it's a fine breed in the right hands. And that is true with just about any breed but especially ones bred strongly for guarding and protecting.
Yeah, that's true-but if they aren't getting all of the information right, why is it there? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, and I'm sorry if I do...It just kind of makes me wonder that if they DID get this wrong, maybe they got information wrong on other breeds, and they're giving out the wrong information.

When you're talking statistics you always need to remember what Benjamin Disraeli pointed out, "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Anyone can bend, twist, and skew numerical statistics to bolster any argument.

That's true as well. I probably shouldn't have bothered posting about the vid, it just kind of annoyed me I guess. lol, I was looking at other vids from the Dogs 101, and a lot of them gave good information. And like you said, Renee7 50il, anyone can twist statistics to their likings-they probably heard those from somewhere else...Anyways, thanks for the replies. :)

Doberluv

I think you did well to post the video. It's a good one IMO. I don't think getting bogged down with what the actual truth is as far as which breed does what the most is productive though. There are so many variables that go into statistics that it would be very difficult to be sure you're getting the solid scoop no matter what the source is that gives you the statistics. I don't think it really matters which type of dog "out performs" the other in dog bites. What matters is that people learn about the breed they're planning on getting, what they might be getting themselves into and understand that not every breed is a good choice for every person. That is what is really the crux of the video and the point is and should be education because without it, irresponsible people will continue to get these breeds that are being singeled out and banned because of irresponsible owners. I think the video zeroed in on that and that is a good thing. Try not to get hung up on things that don't really make a difference in dog-owning responsibility. (unless that bite statistic was the point of your thread.) If so, sorry for hijacking.

I think you did well to post the video. It's a good one IMO. I don't think getting bogged down with what the actual truth is as far as which breed does what the most is productive though. There are so many variables that go into statistics that it would be very difficult to be sure you're getting the solid scoop no matter what the source is that gives you the statistics. I don't think it really matters which type of dog "out performs" the other in dog bites. What matters is that people learn about the breed they're planning on getting, what they might be getting themselves into and understand that not every breed is a good choice for every person. That is what is really the crux of the video and the point is and should be education because without it, irresponsible people will continue to get these breeds that are being singeled out and banned because of irresponsible owners. I think the video zeroed in on that and that is a good thing. Try not to get hung up on things that don't really make a difference in dog-owning responsibility. (unless that bite statistic was the point of your thread.) If so, sorry for hijacking.
No, it's totally fine-you have great points, and you're right-the fact that they're showing the dog breeds, and how they aren't right for everyone is important. :)

I *hate* those breed segments. They're AWFUL, and they're badly researched.

They claimed chihuahuas were a breed with no major health problems (Um, gee, what about luxating patellas, which has been super-common in all but one of the rescues I've seen.)

I *hate* those breed segments. They're AWFUL, and they're badly researched.

They claimed chihuahuas were a breed with no major health problems (Um, gee, what about luxating patellas, which has been super-common in all but one of the rescues I've seen.)
lol, it's actually funny that you mentioned that, because I saw that one today and I was like, "Wow, and I thought they were unhealthy..." :p

Well, not necessarily always unhealthy, but not as hardy as they were saying.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.