What would YOU say?

I love to watch Sal and his best friend (Elwood the APBT) play and wrestle in the backyard. They play rough but never growl or bite. They have been buddies for 4 years so please no one tell me they are going to kill each other soon. They are never left a lone either.
Amstaffer, I just hope you're right. That you don't leave the dogs unsupervised is a plus. I kept a pack of three girls together for a year. Then one day, the utopian scenario was just... over. Getting thrust into a situation where you have to seperate when you haven't been preparing for that possibility is heartbreaking.

You'd be amazed at how many people come on one of the Pit Bull forums I moderate, and the first question they ask is "Help! My dogs are fighting! They got along great for [insert time span here] and one just 'snapped!' I need someone to adopt one of my dogs." Its as frustrating as someone looking to place a St. Bernard that got too big and drooly, or a Golden that all of the sudden 'snapped' and started retrieving one day. That's why we try to make sure that people understand what they're getting into.

Anyway, best of luck to you and yours, and I hope things stay peachy for you. :)

Amstaffer

The last time I had a Betta, I put it in a really large aquarium so that it could have lots of room to swim around....

but it died - I dunno why :(
When I was a kid I had two fish tanks....one with small fish and one with big fish. One day a betta I had attacked and ripped up a smaller fish I liked a lot (stupid me for putting him in there) I then put the offending Betta in the tank and introduced him to my Oscars................. I felt guilty later but it seemed like justice to my young mind :(

Amstaffer

Amstaffer, I just hope you're right. That you don't leave the dogs unsupervised is a plus. I kept a pack of three girls together for a year. Then one day, the utopian scenario was just... over. Getting thrust into a situation where you have to seperate when you haven't been preparing for that possibility is heartbreaking.

You'd be amazed at how many people come on one of the Pit Bull forums I moderate, and the first question they ask is "Help! My dogs are fighting! They got along great for [insert time span here] and one just 'snapped!' I need someone to adopt one of my dogs." Its as frustrating as someone looking to place a St. Bernard that got too big and drooly, or a Golden that all of the sudden 'snapped' and started retrieving one day. That's why we try to make sure that people understand what they're getting into.

Anyway, best of luck to you and yours, and I hope things stay peachy for you. :)
I don't want to HJ the thread but Sal and Elwood are both unique (if two examples can be) for Pit Bulls. I've seen a small spaniel mix attack and draw blood on Elwood and poor Elwood didn't respond with aggression but rather confusion.

Even when they play neither play bites, someday soon I'll post some pics and maybe a short video. They have played like that for years while me and Elwoods owner (and Athena) watch.

Sometimes I feel guilty for not breeding Sal (now neutered) because he has the perfect personality for a dog. Nothing rattles him and he loves everything that talks, walks or crawls.

Boemy

To be honest, I think a lot of "contact" sports do play to our baser nature. People fighting, getting hurt, risking injury, it gets our adrenaline pumping in a way that a chess match does not, despite the fact that a chess match takes just as much skill. More skill, IMO. In a roundabout way, I can understand why dog fighters get excited by seeing two dogs going at it. NOT that I approve. But I understand how that sort of thing gets started.

A boxer does choose his fate and choose to train. He hasn't been selectively bred to be aggressive towards men wearing boxing gloves. And he understands the risk of injury. A dog can't make those decisions.

I was watching a YouTube video the other day of soldiers putting a spider--a HUGE spider, you wouldn't believe the size of it--in a box with a scorpion. They were taking bets on which would win, laughing as the animals attacked each other it a blur of motion. I'm sure in their minds it was "all right" because they were lower animals. But even so . . . They set something up to die for their amusements and, all right, it wasn't something cute or cuddly, but it died and they laughed. It upsets me. We should be better than that. We aren't, but we should be.

I do feel uncomfortable with a lot of the television programming these days which indirectly condone cruelty. The American Idol judge bashes the contestants and everyone says, "Oh, he's so mean", but . . . they kind of laugh about it too, you know? About what he says. Gleefully repeating his comments. It's as if it's okay to be amused by cruelty as long as we aren't the ones making the remarks. :/

Members online

No members online now.