Leather vs Nylon. Thoughts?

FG167

Leather!

I also use Blue Water nylon (the climbing line stuff) for my long lines for protection because it's thicker.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I like leather collars, but that's as much leather as I can handle.

Rope leashes are the way to go... don't like nylon or leather. I would MAYBE use a thin, broken in leather leash, but hate how they feel brand new.

Nylon for harnesses.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I go in spurts for the collars. I do like my variety, so I have some of each. I love love love my leather leashes!!! I do not however like how the puppy likes to tug his leash and is leaving scratch marks in my leather! Were working on it though. I do have some nylon leashes that serve their purpose. Harnesses, I have both. Riley had a leather tracking harness that was/is awesome! Draco has nylon while growing, and will hopefully fit into Rileys leather one someday (high hopes, Riley was huge, Draco is tiny).

JacksonsMom

I guess I like both for different reasons. I've definitely turned into a leather collar fan though. I think they look sharper and ours has held up really good thus far. The only reason it sucks in the summer is because I don't let him swim in the chlorinated pool with it, don't want to ruin it. So it has to be taken off for swimming but it's not a huge deal.

I just got an OnLead thin leather leash and I'm not sure how much I like leather for the leash. It hasn't grown on me yet. Might end up selling it here... LOL. I had ordered two but they put brass on one instead of silver that I ordered so I had to send it back. I'm just not sure if I'm a leather lead fan yet.

Harnesses... I have his leather Buddy Belt but it's not a very good harness to get dirty, etc, but I like it for basic walks and traveling and such, plus it looks really nice. But it doesn't seem like it'd be very comfy for long periods of time like his Puppia is for example.

smeagle

IMO there is no comparison to a good quality leather leash, my oldest one would be 7-8 years old and has been in beach water, left in the sun, used on many dogs etc and hasn't shown any wear or tear.

My dogs also wear leather collars and they are softer than any nylon or cotton collar I've ever come across.

It needs to be good quality hand made leather though not the crap you find in pet stores :)

monkeys23

Leather all the way.

I just got two really nice rolled leather collars from Master's Pride. They still look brand new after a full week of hard wear, including playing in the ditch, etc. I'm impressed so far! I love how they look too, so simple and obviously easier on their fur.

Also just got an EL braided leather lead. Its not my first leather lead, but its my first made from that delicious black latigo I also have collars made from. Words cannot express how I'm loving this leash! Well worth the price.

I've had other leather, mostly EL except for an overpriced police lead I was given. I freaking loved that lead, but no way in hell was I going to pay to replace a $90 lead. Not when I can eventually get an EL one for $50 and get it customized to boot if I need.

For harness I have a Stillwater leather walking harness. Use it for agitation. Its perfect. I've tried other agitation harnesses and none fit the girls as well as this one. THe leather is very nice, but the 1st time I cleaned/conditioned it, it did bleed a bit. Its my second one... Scout ate the first one that was burgundy and so I got black this time. Can't beat the price either!

I bought a 1.5" leather Stillwater collar at one point... I ended up giving it to my friend who has a big ass dog because it was way too much collar for Lily. She pops it off and on his head without undoing it, lol.

I like biothane too. I just have leashes in it though.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I absolutely love leather. Perhaps because I've always been a horse person so I can really appreciate a good quality leather product, how long they last, and I love caring for leather. There are definitely benefits to nylon (less expensive, more adjustable, cute patterns) and Quinn either swims in her little braided tag collar or a nylon collar because I like the color my leather collars are and don't want them darkening too much.

Leather,all the way,unless they are swimming!.
I make my own leather leashes and leather choke collars but I love my
Paco Collars and the tag collar,I got from Ella's Lead.
For every day use,I like my rolled,leather collars from Amylton.
I was also impressed by how fast,it got to my place,in Fr and the thickness of the black latigo.

Miakoda

I use horse lead lines as leashes. I much prefer the overall strength and the stronger hardware. A friend loops the other end for me (he has the hardware/materials to make collars, halters, and lead lines).

For everyday wear, I prefer a quality 1 1/2 inch wide collar with a double keep. I also like collars made of seatbelt material, as it helps with collar rub for dogs who work their chains/tie-outs.

I love a good leather collar for "just because". My main issue with leather is that it stretches some, and not enough people pay attention to the ever-changing fit of their dogs' collars. I've seen many dogs slip a leather collar because it was worn everyday and the owner failed to notice the slight stretching.

Members online

No members online now.