Anyone familiar with rashes?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno's got this rash:

It's been there maybe a couple weeks. I didn't think anything of it at first, figured it would just go away. She doesn't really seem irritated by it, occasionally she'll lick/chew at it, but not really any more frequently than she normally grooms herself. If I didn't know the rash was there, I wouldn't think she was behaving unusually. Although I'm sure it would help if she would just leave it alone completely.

Also if I touch it, it must make her itch or something because then she'll start wiggling around and then go to lick it.

Vet visit?

Saeleofu

If it's been there a couple weeks and hasn't improved, I'd take her to the vet. It kind of looks just like discoloring from licking, but there's no hair, so obviously it's irritated skin. I guess you could try Benadryl, but I never have much luck with it, really.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Benedry might help, but the vet might want to give you something stronger to use to help clear it up.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I might try some cortisone cream/spray to clear it up. I might even break out the cone if she won't leave it alone. If that fails or it continues to spread... to the vet we go.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Just looks like a skin infection to me. Antibiotics are probably in order. It could of started out from some small irritation, but she made it worse with licking. Try and keep her mouth off of it if possible.

Prior to using any type of topical cortosteroid or other medications intended for humans, I'd highly suggest that you take her in to see the vet. The medicated ointments and creams that were mentioned are pH balanced for us, but not for dogs so please do be careful when considering use of any of those items. There are itch-relief products specifically formulated for dogs. Some that I have used are Petco Hydrocortisone Spray, Earthbath Itch Relief Spray and Sentry Pet Relief Spray. My poor Dre has extremely sensitive skin and is prone to dandruff, so I'm extremely cautious as to what I use on his skin. I hope this helps and that your poop pup gets better!!!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yep, we did end up going to the vet and getting an anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and Gentaved spray. It's completely gone now and hopefully it's not a recurring thing.

Members online

No members online now.