Good Teething Toys

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
What are some good chew toys out there? What is a good variety to have around?

Morgan has been getting more and more into chewing things. He's doing very well with sticking to his own toys, but he doesn't have all that many at the moment. I want to go out and get him a few more (I love buying toys!), but as always I am looking for recommendations.

Toys he currently has:
2 puppy kongs (different sizes)
1 hard bone
1 heavy rope ring attached to a tennis ball
1 tennis ball with a fleece "tail"
2 regular tennis balls
1 loofa dog w/ squeakers
1 homemade "rope" (braided fabric)
... I think I am forgetting one or two...

I plan to get another heavy-duty rope toy, since he likes to chew on the one he has. He's about to outgrow the smaller of his two kongs so I am going to upgrade that, too. And I REALLY want to buy him a Cuz (so awesome!).

So what else could I look for? Or even make myself?

bubbatd

Sort of .... but from grocery . The baked ones I've had shattered .....but that was with a big dog .

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Sort of .... but from grocery . The baked ones I've had shattered .....but that was with a big dog .
We've been keeping an eye on it as he chews, as the instructions/warnings recommend. :) Any splinters or damage, though, and the bone goes bye-bye.

lizzybeth727

I plan to get another heavy-duty rope toy, since he likes to chew on the one he has. He's about to outgrow the smaller of his two kongs so I am going to upgrade that, too. And I REALLY want to buy him a Cuz (so awesome!).
Ugh, I hate the Cuz's, they're SO loud! LOL, but dogs love them!

Sounds like you're doing a great job, you have a good variety of different toys. As your dog gets older and you learn his personality and likes/dislikes, you'll be able to figure out exactly what toys he'll really love, and which toys he won't care about.

One of my favorite toys is called, I think, the "I-Cube." It's a plush cube with slits in the sides, and plush squeaky balls that the dog can rip out of the cube. You can even put in your own tennis balls, treats, small kongs or whatever you have. My dog loves it.

I also like treat balls - hard plastic balls you can put food in and your dog has to roll it around to get all the food out. I use those for my dog's meals every day, it keeps her busy while she eats her dinner! Plastic bottles also work well, as long as your dog doesn't chew them up after he eats.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
The Tricky Treat balls are great! Hard rubber not plastic so they aren't obnoxiously noisy and the dogs can pick them up and play with them too. And, they hold up to my mals! Well worth the money and appealing to most dogs.

Romy

Taxiderpy
If you like feeding raw to your dog, what we gave ours was raw frozen turkey and chicken necks. He would gnaw them for hours, get a glazed look in his eyes, it seems like it felt pretty nice on his gums and kept him out of trouble.

Hillside

Original Twin
They are not toys per se, but have you ever given him a bully stick? Django loves them and they last for a decent while.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Ugh, I hate the Cuz's, they're SO loud! LOL, but dogs love them!

Sounds like you're doing a great job, you have a good variety of different toys. As your dog gets older and you learn his personality and likes/dislikes, you'll be able to figure out exactly what toys he'll really love, and which toys he won't care about.

One of my favorite toys is called, I think, the "I-Cube." It's a plush cube with slits in the sides, and plush squeaky balls that the dog can rip out of the cube. You can even put in your own tennis balls, treats, small kongs or whatever you have. My dog loves it.

I also like treat balls - hard plastic balls you can put food in and your dog has to roll it around to get all the food out. I use those for my dog's meals every day, it keeps her busy while she eats her dinner! Plastic bottles also work well, as long as your dog doesn't chew them up after he eats.
Are the Cuz's loud? I'm sure my husband will LOVE that! Lol! Oh well, I think they are fun, and as long as there is only one loud toy, I think life will go on.

Where can I find the I-Cube toy? I have never seen such a thing!

And I forgot all about treat balls. I was meaning to look into those as well. In the meantime, though, I do have a plastic bottle to try!

The Tricky Treat balls are great! Hard rubber not plastic so they aren't obnoxiously noisy and the dogs can pick them up and play with them too. And, they hold up to my mals! Well worth the money and appealing to most dogs.
I'll look for that. I've gotten a lot of feedback about treat balls lately so I am definitely going to get one of those!

If you like feeding raw to your dog, what we gave ours was raw frozen turkey and chicken necks. He would gnaw them for hours, get a glazed look in his eyes, it seems like it felt pretty nice on his gums and kept him out of trouble.
I haven't ever fed raw before... and my husband is really squeamish about such things, so I doubt that idea will go over well. Maybe if we have one around and it was an outside-only chew...

Although finding a frozen something seems like it would be a good thing for the teething process. Thanks for the suggestion.

They are not toys per se, but have you ever given him a bully stick? Django loves them and they last for a decent while.
I've never heard of those! What exactly are they?

Thanks!!

lizzybeth727

Oh yeah, the cuz's are loud - especially the really big ones. Maybe give them a few good squeaks at the store before deciding to buy one! :)

I found my I-Cube at Petsmart (I think it's on the bottom shelf in a box, kind of hard to see), but I think you can find them cheaper online, they're pretty common once you start looking. And I use the Talk to Me Treatball, it's really slippery and hard for dogs to hold on to.

Members online

No members online now.