Good-bye Apollo :(

Apollonaro

After many unsuccessful attempts at taming the wild seperation anxiety, the final straw has been drawn. We can't keep him in his cage, because he knows how to open it, and the only thing that DID work was keeping him tied up outside for the alloted time left alone, and now he's started to whine and bark as well, we've been warned with a 1500 dollar fine. I'm selling him for the 120 dollars that we paid for him, yet we are keeping all of his accesories and hopefully in the future when we get our OWN place without the parental unit controlling my every waking move i'll get another dog from the humane society that hopefully lacks this same problem. Breaks my heart to let him go but i can't do it im too unexperienced of a trainer and it's too expensive to spend all this money on things that only work for a few days. We're seling him to someone in the country so that he can bark and whine nad do whatever he wants and there are no noise bi-laws. I will still be returning to the forum, as i appreciate the advice and support you all offer. can't wait to talk to you int he future

I'm so sorry things didn't work. Stay with us, though. The next time you might want to consider adopting an adult dog. I'm glad you've found him a good home; I know it's hard, but you have tried valiantly.

Apollonaro

I actually found a pitbull at the local humane society, her names Ginger, she's a real sweetheart, and if i could save her life it would mean the world. Allow me to post a picture

Apollonaro

The girl said she's been there for a while becuase everyone is too afraid to adopt her. And im willing to do my research, and learn more about the breed and talk to owners of Pit's on here to find more and save her life.

She's a beautiful dog. You need to find out everything you can about her first. Please, please, bear in mind that Pits get enough bad press, though, when things happen because their owners can't or won't handle them properly.

A Pit, or any other large, dominant dog for that matter, is a completely different experience. I'll be honest; I was ready to jump in and tell you that this was probably way more than you can handle after all the problems with Apollo, but Ginger's photo is a heartbreaker, so I completely understand why you are so drawn to her.

Please, please, please, though, do not make this decision lightly. How does your Mom feel about it? If she's against it and will not accept the dog, you've got huge problems. Pits want to be loved - by everyone in the family. And the stakes are much higher with a large dog. Pits are also dogs that want to spend lots of time with you.

Why is everyone afraid to adopt Ginger? Does she have a history, or is it just because she's a Pit? Does she get along with smaller dogs? You've got to consider Athena's welfare, too.

RD

Are you dead yet?
:( I'm so sorry it came to this.. At least Apollo has a good home.

Ginger is beautiful, let us know what you find out about her.

Debi

Sorry to hear about Apollo, but happy he has a new home. Ginger is sure a beauty!!! I'm loving that sweet face. Let us know what you find out regarding the history. :)

darkchild16

We are Home.
pits are the best family dog you can have i have grown up with them and never have they turned or anything they are accuseed of doing and one of mine got taken and put in the pit by the person who stole him and when we got him back he was still the biggest baby ion the world. GORGEUS DOG by the way and if you have livejournal there is a community called petbulls and we can give you our stories.

breeze

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear about Apollo. Know in you heart that you will find him a good, loving family to be with who can take care of him. Take your time finding the right dog for you home.

Apollonaro

Renee750il said:
She's a beautiful dog. You need to find out everything you can about her first. Please, please, bear in mind that Pits get enough bad press, though, when things happen because their owners can't or won't handle them properly.

A Pit, or any other large, dominant dog for that matter, is a completely different experience. I'll be honest; I was ready to jump in and tell you that this was probably way more than you can handle after all the problems with Apollo, but Ginger's photo is a heartbreaker, so I completely understand why you are so drawn to her.

Please, please, please, though, do not make this decision lightly. How does your Mom feel about it? If she's against it and will not accept the dog, you've got huge problems. Pits want to be loved - by everyone in the family. And the stakes are much higher with a large dog. Pits are also dogs that want to spend lots of time with you.

Why is everyone afraid to adopt Ginger? Does she have a history, or is it just because she's a Pit? Does she get along with smaller dogs? You've got to consider Athena's welfare, too.
They said it was because she was a pit... yes, and dooooo trust me, i will not take herinto a home where she is not welcome. She would be loved just as apollo is. A miracle happened though i happened to come acrossed a hidden link on a local humane society that offers an obedience and schooling system for problem dogs. Not saying apollo is a problem pooch but he could definatley use some poochy education. I guess it is an 80 dollar program but if your dog is adopted from the humane society, it is 40 dollars off. I figure 40 dollars for a 8 week program is quite the deal. I've contacted the person in charge of the course already and we are currently discussing the issue at hand (seperation anxiety) and wether or not there is anything she can do to help us. As for the pitbul, she is gorgeous, no doubt and friendly. Wagged her tail te whole time we were outside of her kennel and when i put my hand up to her cage she started whining and licking and it was absolutely adorable. The employee at the humane society told me she'd seen alot of pits that were used in fighting rings come in and they were absolutely terrifying and were put down immediately. I would not want to see a little girl like her be put down just becuase everyone is too afraid to give her the chance. she said she'd had more labs and retrievers come to the huamne society that were so difficult to handle, and never found homes. and the pitbuls tat come in are so sweet but nobody cares becuase they are too afraid to adopt one. I wouldn't take on a responsibility as large as that unless i knew i could, i would do highly extensive research and even look into education programs provided by the humane society or other animal associations around kingston that offer that kind of education to the general public. and i would do that and complete the program before going through and signing the adoption papers. I would also look into lisencing if it is avaliable in the city. I guess ginger is rather new at the humane society, she might be there for a while. if this course doesn't seem to work out for us, then i will consider beginning extensive training for myself to become a responsible pitbull owner. I can see very well where you are coming from, and i would hate to be one of those shmucks that risks everything becuase they were too careless to look into things deeper than the surface. i would also want to introduce her to family first before i considered adopting her, that way i wouldn't make the mistake of bringing her home and have her and my brother not get along. I know they are good familiy dogs from the pictures i've seen but not all dogs are lenient lol. If i don't have to get rid of my baby boy i won't. But if it comes down to it, then he should be in a country home where he can whine and bark all he wants to and hte nearest neighbours are 3 km's away.

Members online

No members online now.