If humans were dogs....

Romy

Taxiderpy
My family is extraordinarily healthy by comparison. My only known genetic issue is celiac, but then I don't consider it a disease. Celiacs tend to have stronger immune responses than the general population (that why they think the genes survived through 2K years of bread eating in Europe... the black plague).

My sister is a ginger. But I didn't get any little ginger kids. :( lol, oh well. We breed for temperament and working ability in this family. It's a Maniote thing. ;)

Kimbers

I have to say, I was thinking about human breeding (that sounds soooo weird...) a bit ago when I was talking to a friend with severe ADHD. She said that it's fairly genetic and every member of her immediate family has it. I couldn't help but wonder (and I felt bad about it) why her parents, two people with severe ADHD, decided to have three kids.
Then again, this girl was pretty similar to a high-drive herding dog. lol

Would I pass a health/temperament test, though? Probably not. My bones are a bit messed up. (Part of my skull under my eye just didn't grow in. Thankfully, you can't tell by looking.) More than that, though, every. single. person. I've met on my dad's side has had or does have depression. All twenty-and-some of them.

SarahHound

Ginger is a common colour here in the UK, and would actually probably be frowned upon as an undesirable colour lol. Gingers tend to be mocked!
I tease my sister for being ginger (jokingly, she knows I mean nothing by it), but outside of the home, she has never been mocked, or bullied because of her hair. Everyone asks if its out of a bottle as they think it can't be real. Everyone seems to love it!

But most people do get bullied for being ginger.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't know... I have pretty good genes. We all needed braces but that was purely cosmetic and not because there was a problem.

My grandfather just passed away last year at 94 years of age and never had to live in any sort of assisted living facility. My grandmother is still living on her own at 90 years of age and she recently had to have a hip replacement but that's not bad considering her age. My father has NOT ever taken care of himself. used to drink like a fish... still does "socially", smoked for 50 years, eats like crap.... 65 years old and he is healthy as a horse. nothing wrong with him other than being a pain in the arse.

My moms side doesn't always live as long but no genetic disorders that I know of. My great grandmother lived into her late 80's on her own.. never in a nursing home or anything.

We don't have any mental illness issues in the family on either side either.

Not too bad :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I would be some awful designer breed :rofl1:

It's hilarious because my family and I were just having this conversation because this guy approached me and was like "man.. you would have some pretty mixed babies"

There is something about the caramel skin and dark curly hair some people like.
My health sucks.
My temperament is ok.

lol I would be a designer breed dog for sure :rofl1:

Lyzelle

Jin and I would definitely have "designer" breed children too! Jamacian, Italian, I'm a river rat mutt...he's got the dark hair, skin and eyes, I'm blue eyed, red haired and pale as all get out. Temperament and health issues definitely run in my family, though! And health issues in his.

We're not breeding, though. We decided that years before we even got married. ;) We just don't have a desire to make more unhealthy people.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I'd probably be a performance dog, but not some super competitive one, just for fun.

I'm pretty athletic, crazy healthy, and my parent's are pretty healthy as well. My dad's side of the family has heart problems, but my mom's side is great. I have super straight teeth. I do have poor eyesight so I wear contacts, but its not that big of a deal.

CaliTerp07

They'd probably breed me for rare color (blonde) and working abilities (I've been told I'm a smarty pants), but ugh, they'd have to cross their fingers on the health defects. My husband and I both have mild scoliosis, are both blind as bats and needed braces, and we're allergic to just about every lotion/face wash/etc. On my side there'd be risks of alzheimers and Lou Gherig's disease, and on his there's heart issues and bipolar disorder when you go back a generation. Plus, I was born with a sunken chest, so I'd be marked as deformed in the show world!

If we have kids, we'll adopt. My genes are not so superior that I need to reproduce, and there are plenty of kids out there who would thrive in a good home.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I wonder how many of these chronic health problems in families are due more to diet/habits/environment than genetics though.

If you think about it, a couple has children and the children are going to pick up on their parents eating habits. If not for life, then for the first 18 years of critical growth. If the parents are smokers (putting them at risk for a variety of diseases) their kids may be exposed to secondhand smoke and are more likely to become smokers themselves. Kids are raised with and tend to adopt the activity levels their parents model for them as well. All of these things have a huge impact on whether or not people develop major diseases.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Maybe they'll pick up on eating habits for the first 7 years or so, when their parents feed them, but after that? Nah. My sister and brother are both picky as all get out, my parents really aren't. I've been vegetarian for 7+ years, and I'm not 25+ (going by first 18 years) whilst the rest of the family are huge meat eaters. I always was super careful of what I ate (not so much now), my parents definitely werent.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I wouldn't be bred, I'd be a pet. I don't have any unique colors, and I am choosy about the people I like. I don't get along with children (actually I like children as long as they don't live with me, lol). I do like other animals as long as they aren't annoying bustards :p and I am housebroken, tidy and low-energy. I did have some reactivity issues I had to work through, but those are much better now. I have some anxiety problems and congestive heart failure runs on my mom's side of the family. I have a bad bite (needed lots of orthodontic work) and orthopedic issues so I would never win in the show ring. My grandmother on my dad's side seems to have decent genetics. She smoked all her life, although she quit a few years ago, and she's still healthy as a horse save for that wet cough.

My temperament isn't quite sound, I have been known to snap when touched, but if you are one of the people who I am comfortable with, I can be very affectionate.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Maybe they'll pick up on eating habits for the first 7 years or so, when their parents feed them, but after that? Nah. My sister and brother are both picky as all get out, my parents really aren't. I've been vegetarian for 7+ years, and I'm not 25+ (going by first 18 years) whilst the rest of the family are huge meat eaters. I always was super careful of what I ate (not so much now), my parents definitely werent.
What kind of parents only feed and buy food for their children until they're 7 years old? :confused: For that matter, what 7 year old has the ability to buy groceries and prepare food beyond PB sandwiches, cold cereal, and toast?

Lyzelle

I think diabetes, heart disease, and other similar health issues are more due to the US government shoving sugary, no good grains and carbs on us as a "healthy diet lifestyle choice". Utter carp, but most people don't bother to do their research, just like dog food. And between your parents, school, tv, and grocery stores telling you it's "healthy"...well, it's going to be carried through the generations.

Mental issues I definitely believe can be genetic, especially when they happen often enough in one family. Other problems can just be genetically related...for example, small feet run in my family, therefore we have a lot of lower back and leg/foot issues. Conformation of the human variety. ;)

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Diabetes, cancers of various sorts, alzheimers and dementia, heart disease, depression, addiction and alcoholism as well as violent behaviours and chronic lying from a certain family member... Yeah, not of breeding stock here.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
funny this came up , My step bro and I was discussing his 6 month old and her being born with extremely clubbed feet.

He is healthy as is his family , Her family every female has been born with club feel that is getting worse every generation.

I begged him to not have anymore babies with her faulty genes.

he thought i was joking , but that little babby has had 3 diffrent casts and surgery already and her feet still arent straight.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
If my parents were not already spuetered I would insist on it. Horrible health issues.

My sister has one dodgy temperament and I have reactivity issues.

Members online

No members online now.