New improved puppy owner - another question

thoffland

Inquiring minds might be happy to know I returned the e-collar and traded it for a clicker. Now I'm reading my butt off on basic clicker training.

One thing I wanted to know, and I can't find it quickly without doing some more intensive backreading... Sandy is still biting at my heels, grabbing my pantlegs and shoes. I know it's normal, and I know it's playful. I've been working on my "yipe" with her and she responds to it very well. (she's so smart!)

Tonight she did it and what I did was say "no" then asked her to sit, she sat, I clicked and treated.

Is this a good method for curbing the heel biting? It's mostly for my children that I need this to stop.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
If you can divert her attention to the sit then it's effective. Another method is getting the pup to stop then completely ignoring it like a bitten sibling would. Bite inhibition is hard to work on. If you know any people with older dogs you could try getting some play time with them and the older dogs will correct your pup's bitey behaviors.

There are plenty of better trainers here who will give you advice as well :)

Dekka

Just try me..
One thing to watch for is creating a behaviour chain.

Ie she learns she can get a reward by triggering you to cue her to sit. So she learns to nip heels for the opportunity to earn a reward by sitting (I hope that makes sense)

Many dogs don't figure these sorts of things out.. but watch for it just in case.

The best thing to be would to cue a sit BEFORE she touches your pant leg with a tooth.

thoffland

Thanks guys! I think I can find an older dog for her to play with, my neighbor has a Jack Russel that I've been wanting to introduce to her, but I'm making sure her kennel cough is gone first, I think she will be fine by Wednesday and might introduce the two of them.

Dekka: that does make sense. I'll try to watch her before she nips and see if I can catch her with a "sit".

I'd also like to work on the "leave it" article I read, but I don't want to overwhelm her. I think we're at the point of reinforcing "sit" and she's getting really good at "come" but I'm also working on getting her to go into her crate happily. Out of necessity I've been guiding her in there... she doesn't mind being in, just crossing the threshold seems to be an issue. Today we c/t'd a bunch on that... I think she's getting the hang of it. She seems to be a quick learner but I hope I'm not throwing too much at her at once.

Members online

No members online now.