She won't poo outside!!!

Roxy is a four month old lab mix. She learned to use papers but trying to make the transition to the yard has been horrible. She just poops all over the house. I stop her mid-poop and we run outside but she just won't go. She'll pee out there but no #2. I keep her in her little puppy room and she doesn't go in there so that's good but the pooping thing is driving me crazy. I even put lots of it outside in her spot so she could smell it. Not working!!!!! AHHHH. Help me please! I love my little girl and i want play time not poo time!

yoko

i may be wrong but i heard teaching them to go on papers inside is a bad idea and can make it hard to get them to go to the bathroom outside

Adrienne

Yep, it is a hard transition on a pup to learn that all of a sudden going inside is not acceptable. My recommendations would be to tie her to you or put her in her room when you can't completley supervise her. The less chances she has to make mistakes the quicker the training will go. Always have some treats on hand when you take her out and make it the biggest deal in the world when she goes outside like she should. Keep putting her outside like you have been when you catch her in the act inside. Eventually she will get the idea that all potty must go outside. It may take a bit longer because you already trained her one way.

should i leave paper inside too so she won't make messes on the carpet? I'm trying to minimize the mess. Unfortunately my pup shows few warning signs before she squats. No circles and she's always sniffing!!! My boy pup was a lot easier in his puppy days. I'll keep working on it, but when I'm away at school mom lets her out of her puppy room and doesn't watch her with full attention. Maybe if i kept paper near the door to outside it could help? She tries to do what i tell her but she's confused and I want to help her so she doesn't get in trouble! Thanks for your help

Saje

Island dweller
Take the paper outside when you want her to poop and have her poop on the papers. Eventually you should be able to take them away.

bubbatd

Most good breeders will have their puppy paper trained by the time they go to their homes, but it's up to the new owners to within a week or so to have them trained to go outside. This is done by slowly eliminating the indoor paper available, and maybe some outside. I've never had to do the outside part, but I think every breed is different. Usually the problems are with small breeds.... I'm surprised than your lab is still having the problem.

Doberluv

If she's been refusing to go poo outside, but you think she has to go (has bowel contents) eh-hem....put a little cardboard/paper type match stick 1/2 way up her anus. This will stimulate her to go. Then make a big fuss over her when she does.

I'd lose the papers so she isn't thinking it's OK to go inside anymore. Take her out often. Adrienne's advice to tie her to you is good. That way you can really keep an eye on her. If you can't and can't watch her, put her in her crate, if you've been using one. This is why I like crates. They really help in potty training. But if she's not use to one, you'd have to train her to get OK with it. Or use a very small room, but that's probably not going to be small enough and she'll end up going in there. Then she thinks it's OK to go inside. So, you'll just have to watch her like crazy. She's still young and has time to learn. Don't worry and don't be nervous or she'll feed off that and it might slow her learning down.

showpug

Keep a log of when she eats and when she poops. Do that for a couple of days. Feed her the same time everyday and the same amount of food each time. Pretty soon you will see a correlation between feedings and when she has her accidents. Then you will know when to take her out. AND DON'T bring her in until she does the deed!!!LOL

Members online

No members online now.