The dog musing/vent thread

Paviche

Duuuuude.
They're painting my townhouse/all the units around me this week. Today is my house. They sealed up EVERY ENTRANCE. Every door, every window, and the garage door. I can't let my dogs outside to potty at all. Why the **** would you seal EVERY entrance instead of only sealing the ones on the side you're working on at a time? The flyer we got says that work hours are 8 AM - 6:30 PM, which they could usually wait through, but I didn't wake up until after 8 AM so they haven't been out since 1-2 AM when we went to bed. Normally they wake me up to go out around 6 AM, but they didn't today. Ugh!

They sealed up EVERY ENTRANCE. Every door, every window, and the garage door. I can't let my dogs outside to potty at all.
Wow. Is that even legal? Sounds like a very serious fire/safety risk to me. It's definitely within your rights to complain about that.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
It's not tightly sealed, it's something kind of like wax paper put up with tape, but I also don't want to just tear it down because I feel like that would make me an asshole. But as far as fires go I certainly could get out, although I don't know how stringent the law is there - like, are even loosely covered doorways prohibited if there's none left open?

Anyway, I had a stroke of luck and my brother came home to get something, didn't realize the garage door was covered, and opened it up. Ran the dogs out immediately. Phew.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I would probably have been that asshole - dogs' physical needs trump painters in my world. LOL

What about people who don't work a normal 9-5p schedule?

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I would probably have been that asshole - dogs' physical needs trump painters in my world. LOL

What about people who don't work a normal 9-5p schedule?
If they started acting like they needed to go out, I would have, for sure. My dogs are the only ones that will push me out of my meek comfort zone, lol.

Good question! The whole thing is so annoying.

DJEtzel

Patton is being a loudmouth, but otherwise good sport with Meagan, who's watching him while I'm on vacation. He befriended a golden at daycare, of all breeds.

Recon is doing AWESOME with my boyfriend in Indy- playing a bunch with Jinks finally, and doing a lot of tug with Willy and different toys.

I'm pleased. And I miss the hell out of them already, and I'm not even to my vacation destination yet. :(

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I am discovering tonight that Cajun doesn't have an issue with thunderstorms. Yay!

It's something that none of my dogs have ever had a problem with, so it's not something that's normally on my radar to even think of, until New Dog experiences their first storm with me and then I go "oh crap! What if they're storm phobic!"

We've got some loud, house-shaking thunder going on right now and everyone is curled up in bed oblivious. <3
Haha I totally did the same thing the other day with Nimbus. She picked her head up and woofed a bit and that was it.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Got Roxie a new XL crate (it's a Petmate Pet Porter 2). It is HUGE, and Roxie seems to really like it. Just been throwing food in there and I plan on feeding her bowl meals (since I use food toys for lunch and dinner) in there also. It's cute, cuz any time I get near the crate, she hops on in because FOOD!

Really hoping she takes being crated in this one well. She seems to do a lot better in plastic than metal, and I'm hoping she does really excellently in a larger crate. I think she'll be alright because she does like a lot of room.

It's been a long time since she's been crated (after breaking out of a metal crate, I just kept her in the mudroom... and since breaking out of that, she's been loose in the house, which she's done really so well with, but that's not an option in the new house), so I'm holding onto positive thoughts with this. I think she'll do really well, but there's that little voice in my head that says, what if she breaks out?? that scares me.

I think she'll be okay, and I plan on doing a lot of desensitization with this before putting her into it for a normal split shift. Wish us luck!! :)

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Kinda nice that I can leave my 8 month old puppy loose in the bedroom for hours while I'm out, and know she won't get into any trouble-she's so trustworthy in that way. It makes me happy that she can move around and play with her toys instead of being crated while I'm gone.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Kinda nice that I can leave my 8 month old puppy loose in the bedroom for hours while I'm out, and know she won't get into any trouble-she's so trustworthy in that way. It makes me happy that she can move around and play with her toys instead of being crated while I'm gone.
Jealous. Roxie's good if EVERYTHING is put away and there's absolutely no way she can get to anything, so she's been great in the open area of the house with all doors shut.

Tried having her in my bedroom once though. She tore up the carpet... So yeah. I'm jealous of all y'all with dogs that are easier to leave.

Paige

Let it be
I forgot to crate Arya the other night and she obviously just snoozed all night on the couch because the house was untouched and she was sleeping with her feet right up in the air.

She had never tried climbing on the furniture before and now she thinks she is queen of the castle.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I stupidly gave the dogs a nice raw bone yesterday totally forgetting that I had to switch their kibble brand suddenly without a transition period.
Usually they're fine with a good bone every few days, but I guess with the food change it threw them off.

Cleaned up 2 Rigby explosions last night. And managed to catch her vomit with a dish so I didn't have to clean it up off the floor.
Bathed 2 crap covered dog butts.

I feel horrible for doing this to them. :(

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Mudi is also on my list :D I have been in contact with several breeders and one in particular is interested in me taking a pup from them. HOWEVER, this won't be until I'm done with Limit so we're talking quite a long while.
How long are you looking at?

Lucky! Mudi is definitely on my list of wants. But,I haven't even considered the breed I want yet.I have some breeds in mind, which mainly consists of herders, but Papillon is in there too.

Still a long way from getting a dog.At least three years from now, probably longer, it just depends on a multitude of things.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mudi is also on my list :D I have been in contact with several breeders and one in particular is interested in me taking a pup from them. HOWEVER, this won't be until I'm done with Limit so we're talking quite a long while.
Oh nice! Is the breeder in NA? I haven't been able to find any breeders on this side of the Atlantic producing my preferred kind of dog so am curious...all my favorites have been imports.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
DH stained in the garage today and it still smells bad, so Abrams is having a go at sleeping loose in the house tonight. I'm not worried he'll mess on the floor or anything, but here's hoping we don't get woken up by him barking at something!

Also, I've started to leave him loose home alone for short periods of time and he's done fabulous so far. Really hoping that continues and we can phase out the crate.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno didn't want to come down to bed with me last night. So I said fine, go ahead and stay upstairs on your bed. Well apparently at 4:30am she got sick of that so I got woken up to the sound of her standing outside my bedroom door barking :rolleyes:

My mom keeps asking me when we can get Cajun in to get spayed and I'm like... I want no part of keeping this dog quiet for 2 weeks so an incision can heal. Is it bad that that's really my only reason for wanting to put the surgery off as long as possible lol. She goes running at the park every day and is still a crazy lady so I don't want to know what she'd be like without! Pretty sure it'd be easier to keep a 6 month old quiet. So basically, we're gonna be waiting her whole life for her to mellow out before she can be spayed :p I don't know why my mom's in such a rush, I see no reason to hurry!

FG167

How long are you looking at?
Ok, well assuming everything goes ok (aka Limit is healthy/capable of/and enjoys competing) then not for 8ish years LOL Unless my home situation changes, like we move somewhere with acreage, or I have a bunch of time, or whatever...

Oh nice! Is the breeder in NA? I haven't been able to find any breeders on this side of the Atlantic producing my preferred kind of dog so am curious...all my favorites have been imports.
Hilarow Mudis is the one that I've been watching. I have no idea about what they produce. Just adding some random groups/breeders to watch. I'd love to know what breeders you like. I am also watching MANY Kelpie breeders, a few here in the US, but mostly overseas so importing my next sportdog will not be out of the question by any means.

Members online

No members online now.