Weirdest Breed Guesses?

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I was at Woofstock last weekend and was told by the lady at the local dog training club booth "There aren't just purebreds in the club, there are a lot of mixes, so you would feel at home with your dog." Um, WAT? Sorry, Logan IS purebred. And being head of a dog-related club, you really ought to know that - or at least not ASSUME my pure-bred, well-bred, AKC and UKC pointed collie is a mix.

I was surprised how many show people in our KC seemed to have never heard of a Malinois. I mean, have they never watched Westminster from beginning to end?

I have a purebred FOX.

Yeah, most of the time I get fox or GSD, which she is a Shepherd mix, but fox? Seriously? I'm sorry but how often do you see someone walking a fox?

Casper normally gets pit bull, American Bulldog, Boxer and Great Dane, but once, I was walking him and other dogs and this guy pulled over and ask me if I wanted to breed my Weimaraner to his? I ask what Weimaraner and he pointed to Casper!

Ronon has been called a Great Dane a lot, Doberman, Whippet, Pit bull, German Shepherd and the most common is- he is called a Tiger Dog!

Jack gets called a Pug all the time!

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Yeah, most of the time I get fox or GSD, which she is a Shepherd mix, but fox? Seriously? I'm sorry but how often do you see someone walking a fox?

When Stan was smaller, I took him to a flea market and got that comment every few feet. It was a total WTF experience.

JacksonsMom

I'm actually shocked that nearly everyone asks me "Is that a Silky Terrier?" considering I had never even HEARD of the breed until after getting Jackson and learning the differences between Silky's, Yorkies and Australian Terriers.

But pretty much everyone says Yorkie or Silky. I think I had one really off-the-wall breed guess a while back once at Petsmart but I honestly cannot remember what they guessed.

Gambit gets hyena some times. Once I heard African Wild Dog. For some odd reason, truckers usualy peg him as a coy. I also hear Aussie, Catahoula and Koolie on occastion.

God, I need some new pictures of Gambit.

SarahHound

Mine all get called Whippets. I can understand Katy, as she's a Whippet cross, but the other two are much larger in height and general build that her, but they are still Whippets :rofl1:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
With Rose, it was always, "Lab and...?" LOL Which is understandable. When I would say, "Shepherd" or "Cattle Dog", they'd be like, "Oh, okay, that makes sense."

Chloe has been pegged as a Collie, an Australian Shepherd, and a Border Collie. I typically say collie mix.

Cynder...never a breed, just, "What a good little dog." LOL

People don't seem to believe me when I say Gracie is a Dachshund, possibly because she isn't fat. My Grandma asked me if she was the same breed as Bailey (my cousin's Dachshund), because Bailey is super overweight and she couldn't see them as they same type of dog.

Cooper was pegged as a Schnauzer once, but I do cut him in a Schnauzer cut, so...lol

Pretty well everyone I run into on our walks tells me 'Nice Scottie!' I just think it is weird as I have seen ONE scottie in my life and there are four westies within one block of my house alone, they seem to be much more popular.

Desoto gets ACD, which I kind of get (despite the fact that he a merle with a ton of white trim) but one guy was absolutely convinced that I was wrong about him being an Aussie. He gets the odd husky mix but it is mostly just what breed is that?

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it was too funny, I had to share. I was walking Lugia in my neighbourhood, and as you can see in the pic below, she is a tiny little Silken Windhound. An older gentleman stopped me and said, "Wow, what a beautiful dog! Is she a... GREAT DANE??" :rofl1: I get tons of creative guesses as to Lugia's breed, but I think that was my favourite. She's 19" at the shoulder and 21 lbs... lol. :D

More typical guesses: Saluki, border collie x whippet, smooth collie

I had a child ask if Holly was a reindeer once. Granted, she's the right colour and we were in a Christmas Parade at the time (yes, dressed the poor dears as reindeer, LOL). Hector (RIP) was in a Santa suit and nobody mistook HIM for the real deal.

Somebody asked if Hector was a Pit Bull, probably because he was a dark brindle. But he was also 85+ lbs at the time and not really overweight, so on the large side for a greyhound.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it was too funny, I had to share. I was walking Lugia in my neighbourhood, and as you can see in the pic below, she is a tiny little Silken Windhound. An older gentleman stopped me and said, "Wow, what a beautiful dog! Is she a... GREAT DANE??" :rofl1: I get tons of creative guesses as to Lugia's breed, but I think that was my favourite. She's 19" at the shoulder and 21 lbs... lol. :D

More typical guesses: Saluki, border collie x whippet, smooth collie

I'd totally guess border whippet.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Chloe has been called a husky puppy, and a JRT. I think that's about it.

DSC_9098.jpg by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Tucker's been called a yorkie, a papillon, and a pomeranian:

DSC_9056.jpg by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Emma's been called a pomeranian:

Do I have cream cheese on my face? by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Rylie has only been called a chihuahua.

Rory is frequently called a brittany. We've had to argue that he's a border collie. He's also been called a borzoi (wtf???), golden retriever (another wtf???), aussie (which I can understand), and I think that's about it.

DSC_8652.jpg by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Sparrow

Zoe gets Greyhound a lot. I've been told she looks like an African Wild Dog and an "exotic cat." Mostly we just get asked "what is she???" Always. Everywhere. I was told by someone that it's the brindle coloring that makes people do that.

Near as I can tell by her mom that was at the pound with her and what she grew into, she's Pit/Dane/Lab? That's in order of how sure I am of each.

Last edited:

Members online