my two dogs the two extremes do not get along help

gilles

hi
i guess i have extremes an 8 years old bicho frise and a 5 months old central asian shepherd . i was wondering if someday they will get along coz my bichon (bono) hates Volka the cao although volka wants to play with him. did anybody go through such an experience?

krissy

Well, my dogs are opposites only in age since they are the same breed. Summit was almost 8 when we got Kili as an 8 week old puppy. Summit moped for about a month and was not happy about the pup although he would sometimes play with her. But now they get along pretty well. Summit enjoys beating her up, though she does irritate him sometimes too. On the flip side, Kili LOVES Summit. Love love love.

gilles

Well, my dogs are opposites only in age since they are the same breed. Summit was almost 8 when we got Kili as an 8 week old puppy. Summit moped for about a month and was not happy about the pup although he would sometimes play with her. But now they get along pretty well. Summit enjoys beating her up, though she does irritate him sometimes too. On the flip side, Kili LOVES Summit. Love love love.
hehe volka loves bono and wants t play with him , but he is too big and too heavy and uses his weight and his huge paws to play and this irritates bono .
bono is 15 lbs and volka 75 lbs at 4 1/2 months .

Romy

Taxiderpy
I don't blame Bono for being upset. It probably really hurts when he's playing like that!

When you say they don't get along, what exactly is he doing? If you could even video tape them interacting and put it on youtube that would help a lot in figuring out what's going on.

Bono may just be correcting Volka, as Volka is still a puppy and doesn't have very good dog manners right now. If that's the case, it's actually a good thing because that's how dogs learn to interact with other dogs. They usually learn from their moms and siblings when they're a lot younger, but he would have learned that it's okay to be more physical with them because they're his size.

What kind of training and socialization is Volka getting? Does he get to play with dogs other than Bono?

I wouldn't let them together unsupervised at this point. Without seeing their interaction in person, my recommendation is to put Volka on a leash and have him drag it around the house (supervised) so that you can rescue Bono if Volka is in his face too much. Let him approach Bono, and reward him when he's gentle/not physical. Teach him to lay down when Bono is near him. When he is laying down it will be harder for him to be so physical and Bono might not feel as threatened.

My hunch is that once Volka learns to play more gently Bono will become more tolerant of him. After that they may even become friends.

gilles

I don't blame Bono for being upset. It probably really hurts when he's playing like that!

When you say they don't get along, what exactly is he doing? If you could even video tape them interacting and put it on youtube that would help a lot in figuring out what's going on.

Bono may just be correcting Volka, as Volka is still a puppy and doesn't have very good dog manners right now. If that's the case, it's actually a good thing because that's how dogs learn to interact with other dogs. They usually learn from their moms and siblings when they're a lot younger, but he would have learned that it's okay to be more physical with them because they're his size.

What kind of training and socialization is Volka getting? Does he get to play with dogs other than Bono?

I wouldn't let them together unsupervised at this point. Without seeing their interaction in person, my recommendation is to put Volka on a leash and have him drag it around the house (supervised) so that you can rescue Bono if Volka is in his face too much. Let him approach Bono, and reward him when he's gentle/not physical. Teach him to lay down when Bono is near him. When he is laying down it will be harder for him to be so physical and Bono might not feel as threatened.

My hunch is that once Volka learns to play more gently Bono will become more tolerant of him. After that they may even become friends.
thanx romy you seem to pin point the problem! actually volka was taken too early from his brothers and sisters at around 6 weeks so he did not learn proper manners. he does lay down whe playing with bono which makes bono more comfortable , but as bono gets closer he just stands up and paws him as if he lays down just to lure him. but bono gets irritated and starts biting . the good thing is that volka does not bite even when bono gets irritated but he gets more playful and thus more rough. Volka seems very good around other dogs, some aggressive dogs actually are calmer when they meet him too. yesterday he played with billy a 2 years old lab and he was really enjoying it but then billy got also irritated after a while sincevolka uses his size and weight when playing. right now a trainer visits me once a week working on basic obedience and volka is very smart and learns extremely quickly however he also gets bored quickly and starts acting rough after being scolded few times.
the trainer by the way suggested to let bono and volka play in an open area keeping volka on a leash and rewarding him when he is gentle. i really feel bad for volka coz he is eager to play and have a friend and he may feel rejected. i also feel bad for bono coz he is getting jealous. they both are indoors at the moment and volka has his own restricted area. yesterday they started licking each other's nose through the bars of the gate that separates them.

gilles

Ha Ha Ha. I haven't experienced with my dogs.
it is getting slightly better! the problem is that Volka will be 5 months in february 2 and he is now almost 79-80 lbs and almost 25 inches high ! so even if he is very friendly and wants to play, he can be too much to handle for bono

Members online

No members online now.