Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Well, I am not going to keep debating it lol

but my point was the law is irrelevant. I dont care what the law says...
I don't get where you think there is a debate. I wasn't debating with you. I am not trying to change anyone's minds on anything. I was just stating that it doesn't hurt to look up the location you(general you) reside in laws to ensure that you are meeting them. If I hadn't looked it up I would have thought that Nico could go into one as soon as he turned 1 because he is only a few ounces shy now of 20lbs. So I am glad I looked it up. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with you. Just stating requirements can and do change so looking them up is never a bad thing.

Taqroy

^This. My best friend is a carseat tech and she says the AAP now is recommending kids rearface until AT LEAST 2yo.
Everyone has to pick what they think is best. I will admit I turned both of mine before two....around 16-18 months I think...but wish I hadnt. I did it because they both HATED the car and screamed pretty much the entire car ride. But I did not research as fully as I should've and well, honestly remained ignorant on the issue.

For those who haven't looked into the issue and would like some more information...here is a good place to start

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

I hadn't really looked into this yet (cause my kid is 5 months I've got time lol) but wow. After looking through those links we're going to do rear facing for as long as possible. I've heard good things about the Diono Radian as a convertible car seat that doesn't take up a ton of room width wise.

Honestly, I don't really care what the law recommends. I'm going to put way more weight on research and studies than what my state says.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
*sad thing/possible trigger warning please head caution before reading below*
I'm sorry, Fran :( My friend's baby was murdered at 6 months old, so I get the whole going to a baby's funeral thing. I agree with the others, though... if there is already food set up, there's not much you can do or say, other than letting her know you're there if she needs to talk or a shoulder to cry on.

I hadn't really looked into this yet (cause my kid is 5 months I've got time lol) but wow. After looking through those links we're going to do rear facing for as long as possible. I've heard good things about the Diono Radian as a convertible car seat that doesn't take up a ton of room width wise.

Honestly, I don't really care what the law recommends. I'm going to put way more weight on research and studies than what my state says.
There's a car seat tech in my moms group and that's her all time favorite seat.

We have the peg perego piazzo convertible for Everleigh. She can rear face to 45lbs and so far I like it.

milos_mommy

I'm assuming the cons of forward facing are maybe it's easier to interact with your child or something? Idk.

Their are actually no laws in NYS about when a child can sit up front, either. I'm pretty sure it's legal to put a car seat in the passenger seat. But I'll still make my daughter sit in the back until she's 100 lbs and 5 ft.

Airn

...what possibly could be cons to rear-facing? Maybe I'm missing something.
I was also confused by this.

I had no idea that front facing was such a dangerous situation. I remember, we used to have a commercial about child safety and it recommended using some kind of car seat until the child was 40lbs or 4'9. It was a cute Cinderella themed commercial. Keep your pumpkins safe!

Anyway, those videos were disturbing and I am curious to know the pros of forward facing as well. I thought of it more of a decision based on ignorance for most people, I didn't realize they researched and out-weighed pros and cons of front facing and rear facing.

The videos also make me want to buy a tank when I have a child....

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Just because someone chooses a different choice them someone else in how they raise their child does not make them ignorant. So please do not get insulting just because I choose differently then what you plan to. There are many reason that go into our decisions. For example those videos show impact of a car slamming into a wall or obstacle from the front and how the child in the seat would react. So what happens when the same happens from the rear with the car in the rear facing posisiton? We have had 3 rear end hits to our vehicle in the past 4yrs. Yet have had nothing that we have hit head on. In my whole life I have never been in a head on collision. Yet I have been in vehicles hit from the side but mainly from the back from people following too close.

So yes for me that is a HUGE pro to turning them around since they are better protected for rear end collisions when facing forward. Another reason is Nico, and all my kids, hate not being able to see what is going on. Another reason is it is easier to interact during our many trips to get his sister, take him to the childrens hospital and so on. There are other reasons as well but the first one for us is the main one. So no it is not from ignorance that we make that decision. It is from experience, research and weighing the pros and cons.

It is a personal choice when a parent makes the decision to switch and there are many things that usually go into that choice. But just because that choice differs from yours does not in any way make it ignorant.

I'm not arguing with your decision (it's totally yours to make) but as for the difference between front end and rear collisions, I suspect that when you're rear ended, your car just gets pushed forward, faster. You're already traveling in the direction of which you're being hit, whereas with a front end collision, the impact is much more severe because of your forward momentum. Does that make sense?

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I'm not arguing with your decision (it's totally yours to make) but as for the difference between front end and rear collisions, I suspect that when you're rear ended, your car just gets pushed forward, faster. You're already traveling in the direction of which you're being hit, whereas with a front end collision, the impact is much more severe because of your forward momentum. Does that make sense?
For one of our rear end hits I would agree with you. For the other two no. One we were fully stopped and the person was texting and hit us at the speed they were traveling. So it was not just a push. It was a hard slam that spun our vehicle partial to one side and forward. The other one we had to come to a sudden stop because of another person trying to avoid something. The person traveling behind us was too close and again it was a hard slam. Rear end collisions can cause a lot of damage. Yes at a high rate of speed a head on collision can cause a lot more damage BUT for us neither of us has ever been in one. Where as both of us have dealt with rear end collisions which seems to be way more common. So we see that as more important to protect him from. Hence the biggest pro in our mind for turning him around when he is legally and physically ready for it.

People need to choose for themselves what they feel is best for them and their children. Each person will come to their own conclusion based on the information they have and their experiences. We choose this way. And ignorance had nothing to do with that choice.

Taqroy

Just because someone chooses a different choice them someone else in how they raise their child does not make them ignorant. So please do not get insulting just because I choose differently then what you plan to. There are many reason that go into our decisions. For example those videos show impact of a car slamming into a wall or obstacle from the front and how the child in the seat would react. So what happens when the same happens from the rear with the car in the rear facing posisiton? We have had 3 rear end hits to our vehicle in the past 4yrs. Yet have had nothing that we have hit head on. In my whole life I have never been in a head on collision. Yet I have been in vehicles hit from the side but mainly from the back from people following too close.
I'm having a hard time believing that you did a lot of research because in the link that GreenMagick posted it goes into that.

What if I am hit from behind? Won't my child be safer facing forward?

Frontal and side impacts are the most common type of crashes. They account for 96% of all crashes. They are also the most deadly type of crashes (especially side impacts) and rear-facing children have MUCH more protection in both types of crashes than forward-facing. In the 4% of rear impact crashes that a rear-facing child would be in, they have at least the same amount of protection that a FF child would have in a frontal impact, with the added benefit of less crash energy being transferred to them, and the fact that the rear impact is usually not as severe.

The forces in a rear impact crash are much different from the forces in a frontal impact crash. In a frontal impact, the forces are much greater because the vehicles are usually traveling in opposite directions. Experts suggest that a frontal crash is the same as hitting a concrete barrier � the vehicle and all occupants come to a dead stop within less than 1 second.

When you are struck in a rear impact, the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction, and the vehicle that is hit in the back has room to move forward. The crash force on the occupants is much less than in a frontal impact. The movement of the impacted vehicle, in addition to the crush zone, absorbs a lot of the crash energy, so it is not transferred to the child. Additionally, the majority of rear impacts are at low speeds.

In short, if your child is rear-facing, he has optimal protection in the types of crashes you are most likely to be in. If he is forward-facing, he may have optimal protection in a rear-end crash, but statistically, that is the least likely to happen and he is 60% more likely to be injured or killed in the types of crashes (frontal, side impact) you are most likely to be in.

You can learn more about the physics of rear-facing at http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
No one's insulting you. But I definitely don't agree with your decision and I'm not going to hide that. It's still your decision and obviously you're going to do what you want but if you're getting this much disagreement maybe you should spend less time being offended and more time doing research. /shrug

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Like Allison, I'm not really arguing, but want to make sure you have all the info out there as a lot has changed in recent years.

More info on rear impact collisions from one of the links posted above:

What if I am hit from behind? Won't my child be safer facing forward?

Frontal and side impacts are the most common type of crashes. They account for 96% of all crashes. They are also the most deadly type of crashes (especially side impacts) and rear-facing children have MUCH more protection in both types of crashes than forward-facing. In the 4% of rear impact crashes that a rear-facing child would be in, they have at least the same amount of protection that a FF child would have in a frontal impact, with the added benefit of less crash energy being transferred to them, and the fact that the rear impact is usually not as severe.

The forces in a rear impact crash are much different from the forces in a frontal impact crash. In a frontal impact, the forces are much greater because the vehicles are usually traveling in opposite directions. Experts suggest that a frontal crash is the same as hitting a concrete barrier � the vehicle and all occupants come to a dead stop within less than 1 second.

When you are struck in a rear impact, the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction, and the vehicle that is hit in the back has room to move forward. The crash force on the occupants is much less than in a frontal impact. The movement of the impacted vehicle, in addition to the crush zone, absorbs a lot of the crash energy, so it is not transferred to the child. Additionally, the majority of rear impacts are at low speeds.

In short, if your child is rear-facing, he has optimal protection in the types of crashes you are most likely to be in. If he is forward-facing, he may have optimal protection in a rear-end crash, but statistically, that is the least likely to happen and he is 60% more likely to be injured or killed in the types of crashes (frontal, side impact) you are most likely to be in.

You can learn more about the physics of rear-facing at http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

The thing is, frontal and side crashes make up the VAST majority of accidents and are statistically the most dangerous. They are the ones you need the most protection from which for a baby means a rear facing seat. (rear end accidents are around 11 %)

A rear facing seat is still very safe for a rear end collision as well but the impact of being rear ended is not the same as if you have a frontal or side impact at the same speed.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I'm having a hard time believing that you did a lot of research because in the link that GreenMagick posted it goes into that.

No one's insulting you. But I definitely don't agree with your decision and I'm not going to hide that. It's still your decision and obviously you're going to do what you want but if you're getting this much disagreement maybe you should spend less time being offended and more time doing research. /shrug
I have had 4 children and have done the research each time when each child is ready to be turned around. So just because my decisions for MY children is different then yours does not make it wrong. I am not offended that people disagree with my decision. I am offended that people are alluding to me being ignorant because my decision is different from theirs. I am not going to change my mind for my child because people disagree with me. I know what is best for them. I know a ton of people who disagree with me raising my son as an atheist. Doesn't mean I should change my mind because there are so many that do. I know several people who disagree with me giving my son breast milk till he is 6yrs old. Doesn't mean I should change my mind their either. Does that make them or me ignorant? No. It just makes us different.

Airn

I have had 4 children and have done the research each time when each child is ready to be turned around. So just because my decisions for MY children is different then yours does not make it wrong. I am not offended that people disagree with my decision. I am offended that people are alluding to me being ignorant because my decision is different from theirs. I am not going to change my mind for my child because people disagree with me. I know what is best for them. I know a ton of people who disagree with me raising my son as an atheist. Doesn't mean I should change my mind because there are so many that do. I know several people who disagree with me giving my son breast milk till he is 6yrs old. Doesn't mean I should change my mind their either. Does that make them or me ignorant? No. It just makes us different.
I didn't mean to offend you. I thought you were a first time mom, like most of the moms on here. And I thought you all were swapping information.

I still find it hard to believe you would continue to choose a front facing seat after all of the studies shown here. But, that is your choice.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I didn't mean to offend you. I thought you were a first time mom, like most of the moms on here. And I thought you all were swapping information.

I still find it hard to believe you would continue to choose a front facing seat after all of the studies shown here. But, that is your choice.
That is what makes us individuals. We all come to our own conclusions based on our experiences and what we learn. No offence but maybe instead of alluding that you think some one is ignorant because they are making a choice you would not, instead just state that you would choose differently and why that works for you.

I have been a parent for almost 15yrs now and I have seen a lot of things change over the years. For example when I choose to breast feed my daughter(first child) I got a lot of flack for it and even got asked to leave a restraint even though I was fully covered. Now more people are all for breast feeding but I am getting a lot of flack because I plan to do extended breast feeding with Nico and once he weans himself still pump and give him breast milk till age 6. The way I approach things now is that I educate myself on the topics, weight the pros and cons and then make my choices from there. I am choosing for my family. Not to please others. And what works might not/or won't work for someone else. But that does not make either person wrong. Just different.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I know you say your mind is made up Nicole, but PLEASE read the following blog posts. They are both about SERIOUS rear end accidents with children rear facing and how their seats still protected them.

Fully stopped car, rear ended by a vehicle going 65MPH: http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html

Slowing or stopped car, hit by a jackknifing semi at 50 MPH: http://carseatnanny.blogspot.com/2012/01/is-rear-facing-safer-when-youre-rear.html?m=1
THanks Stardogs but I have made up my mind. I have read the studies, seen the videos, even saw the statistics(though I disagree with them about the rear end hits being less common since that is mainly what I have experience with). I didn't post on here about him switching to get insulted and alluded to being ignorant. I posted it because I was just thinking about how fast he was growing up and how I wish he would slow down. This posts will help someone else though in coming up with their pro's and cons list I am sure.

Airn

That is what makes us individuals. We all come to our own conclusions based on our experiences and what we learn. No offence but maybe instead of alluding that you think some one is ignorant because they are making a choice you would not, instead just state that you would choose differently and why that works for you.

I have been a parent for almost 15yrs now and I have seen a lot of things change over the years. For example when I choose to breast feed my daughter(first child) I got a lot of flack for it and even got asked to leave a restraint even though I was fully covered. Now more people are all for breast feeding but I am getting a lot of flack because I plan to do extended breast feeding with Nico and once he weans himself still pump and give him breast milk till age 6. The way I approach things now is that I educate myself on the topics, weight the pros and cons and then make my choices from there. I am choosing for my family. Not to please others. And what works might not/or won't work for someone else. But that does not make either person wrong. Just different.
Ok, I get that you're getting all pissed off because you're making your own choices but it really doesn't matter how long you've been a parent. And I did not call you ignorant. I said I thought most people's decision to front face was ignorance. Again, I find it hard to see why anyone would front face after the studies and research done on it.

But, this is a circular conversation. I'm sorry you got offended by what I said, but that's all. Obviously the moms on here can't convince you that there are better options and you won't convince them that you're making the best decision. Seems to be an impasse.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Ok, I get that you're getting all pissed off because you're making your own choices but it really doesn't matter how long you've been a parent. And I did not call you ignorant. I said I thought most people's decision to front face was ignorance. Again, I find it hard to see why anyone would front face after the studies and research done on it.

But, this is a circular conversation. I'm sorry you got offended by what I said, but that's all. Obviously the moms on here can't convince you that there are better options and you won't convince them that you're making the best decision. Seems to be an impasse.
I am not pissed off. Your the one that alluded to people making that choice(which includes me since I am making that choice) as being ignorant and then said it was because you thought I was a new parent. Hence why I stated how long I have been parenting. As to convincing any one of any thing. I didn't post about switching him to convince anyone to change their minds. Not once have I ever alluded to anyone that they should. I just stated it was a personal decision. Then everyone else just kept trying to change my mind. Which I kept saying I was not looking for or interested in but the info posted is always good(including looking at a persons locations laws on it) in helping others who have not made up their minds. I am not trying to change anyones mind and mine is a decision that was made that works for MY family. What works for someone elses may be the same or may be different. My issue was the alluding to people choosing differently as being ignorant. That was my issue. I know I am making the best decision for my family and I am glad to see others feel the same way for the decisions for their families as well.

Members online

No members online now.