12yo needs an Ipad for school?

Saeleofu

I think that's a bit over the top, most math still needs to be written in long hand. We likely will continue print.
What math NEEDS to be written out long hand? To learn the process behind it, sure. But there are programs and devices that allow you to write by hand into a computer. I had a very old Clio several years ago that could do that, and that was old (VERY OLD) technology then.

Most math I do anymore is done either on a calculator for the sake of speed, or types into an equation in Excel. And some of those are very long, complicated things to do without using Excel. My last 3 statistics classes have been 100% on the computer using Excel and SPSS/PASW. For these things there simply is no reason to learn to do it by hand because when you're doing research, you are not going to sit there for hours on end doing calculations by hand when you could do it on the computer in 2 minutes and get more reliable results (less chance for human error, though still not completely eliminated).

I have never taken a calculus class (and never intend to) but I imagine even for that there are programs to do the calculations. And if there isn't, we get back to handwriting on a tablet/touch screen. I do think pens and paper will be obsolete, but I don't think handwriting (print) itself will be.

Also, FWIW, I was taught to use "home keys" and all that other crap when I leanred to type in elementary school. I don't use that at ALL anymore, and I type in excess of 75 wpm. I type as I feel comfortable typing, and sometimes it looks awful, but it gets the job done and gets it done quickly.

CaliTerp07

Sure, you could use a tablet and stylus to write out the equations by hand...but that's still handwriting, it's just using electronic paper instead of a spiral notebook.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
What if the school provides it, and your child breaks it?I have a girl that has broken more dishes in the last year then all her years put together. She said "my elbow did it, I didn't!" I was truly amazed her laptop made it two years before she cracked the screen. THere is no replacing it, I can't. I would be petrified if the school sent something like that home for her at this age. I have had to put away the best of my good dishes that I made until she outgrows this stage. I am truly hoping that is going to happen.

crazedACD

Also, FWIW, I was taught to use "home keys" and all that other crap when I leanred to type in elementary school. I don't use that at ALL anymore, and I type in excess of 75 wpm. I type as I feel comfortable typing, and sometimes it looks awful, but it gets the job done and gets it done quickly.
I just took a WPM test, got 78.3..and I'm on a laptop with the D and the G missing. Haha..I don't use 'home keys' either...I'm just really familiar with the keyboard.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yeah and I wouldn't be sending a kid to school with a tablet. It is likely to get stolen if it doesn't get broken first

Xandra

For first year math here we do most homework online (something called Webwork) which makes you answer it eg (sqrt(5^(-3)*3)+84)/20 blah blah blah. That's just entering the answer though.

For anything that requires showing your work... which you can do with a computer, but is way easier by hand.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I just had to fish Hyia's cell phone that she now has to have on her at all times from the storm drain. IT required the fireplace shovel, a long arm, and a lot of luck. I would have a heart attack if she had to take something like an ipad back and forth.

Saeleofu

I just took a WPM test, got 78.3..and I'm on a laptop with the D and the G missing. Haha..I don't use 'home keys' either...I'm just really familiar with the keyboard.
My "i" is missing. It still works just fine, the cap's just missing. And every few months my spacebar goes wonky and likes to put 347654532 spaces between and within words lol.

Also I had to take a typing test now and it was 79 wpm lol.

JacksonsMom

I just had to fish Hyia's cell phone that she now has to have on her at all times from the storm drain. IT required the fireplace shovel, a long arm, and a lot of luck. I would have a heart attack if she had to take something like an ipad back and forth.
I guess it would just depend on the kid too. I mean, my 8 almost 9 year old brother has an iPhone (I know, ridiculous, my dads company gets them for free) and he's always been extremely responsible with it. I think the most he did once was leave it in my dads truck (on the inside) and it was missing for like 5 hours before we realized where it was. If he was allowed to take it to school, I have no doubt he would be fine with it, and most likely keep it in a certain spot in his book bag.

Xandra

I guess it would just depend on the kid too. I mean, my 8 almost 9 year old brother has an iPhone (I know, ridiculous, my dads company gets them for free) and he's always been extremely responsible with it. I think the most he did once was leave it in my dads truck (on the inside) and it was missing for like 5 hours before we realized where it was. If he was allowed to take it to school, I have no doubt he would be fine with it, and most likely keep it in a certain spot in his book bag.
haha that's better than me, in the past 3 months I've put mine through the dryer and left it on a city bus...

and I don't think it's silly for a kid to have an iphone... I mean it's a simple camera, has lots of games, good for emergency contact... eh if you can afford it (or they're free, lucky bum!) then why not?

BTW your Oregon Trail is incredibly old school, the one we played looked like this:

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Hannah is getting a kindle fire for Christmas lol. My MIL is getting it for her. She is 5. However, this is not at all surprising because she is very careful with her things. When Brians job gives him his new business phone Hannah will get his Iphone but without phone calling capabilities, just for games and the like. Basically an IpOd lol

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Learning math, imo, needs to be written out long hand. I have a math degree and you definitely can't do all of our classwork on the kind of electronic sites like they do for many college classes. I took some basic math classes, stats, and that kind of thing. Whole whole different world from things like advanced calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, Euclidean geometry, etc. No way to plug in answers in the higher level maths.

A tablet? Sure but that's still writing things out. Still think you're gonna burn through tons of paper before taking the time to write out a 'final' answer.

I would not trust my 14 year old sister with a tablet she had to carry between school and here. She breaks things so easily.

I don't think pencil and paper will become obsolete either. At work even, where 99% of our stuff and calculations are done via computer, we are always jotting down notes on paper.

Last edited:

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It was a Math 100 class, and honestly I don't remember that much and I also dropped it about a week or two in. I don't recall doing any work on paper, but it is possible later in the course that was necessary. We did need to "show work" online, but I think it was more of a click-through, step-by-step kind of thing? More interactive.
No offensive intended but I don't think you have enough experience at that level in math to wager we won't need long hand.

A child(or adult) being able to understand what the calculator is doing is far more important than a child(or adult) knowing how to use a calculator. Even addition and subtraction needs long hand for the place holders and so forth.

As math progresses your need only grows.

It's hand and hand with the adages of "teach a man to fish..." and "until you can explain something clearly you don't understand it." (

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I also tutor 4th graders and they're doing long multiplication by hand right now. They have some neat tools and calculators that the kids can play with too. But they're learning it long-hand. I think it's very important that they understand the concepts and how to do things without a calculator. Math skills are essential to function in the world. So much is based off of math and being able to visualize/understand mathematical concepts.

A child(or adult) being able to understand what the calculator is doing is far more important than a child(or adult) knowing how to use a calculator. Even addition and subtraction needs long hand for the place holders and so forth.

As math progresses your need only grows.
So true!

I use excel 99% of the time now. But I couldn't set up the equations if I didn't understand the theory and the steps behind it.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
That's why school taxes are so high, something I hate paying, because I don't have kids, I for use the schools why should I have to pay for them?
wanting to support the future generation? the future leaders, thinkers, teachers, great minds, giving hearts etc.. by giving them an education they deserve in order to blossom. One with up to date books, great teachers, a healthy environment etc..
Putting money and support into schools is not about having children. It's about caring about the future.

There are plenty of things my tax money goes to that I disapprove of. But schools and education really is not one of them nor should it be.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That's why school taxes are so high, something I hate paying, because I don't have kids, I for use the schools why should I have to pay for them?
So the next generation is literate and are producing members of society? So young people will be educated and have the opportunity to get jobs and support themselves?

I volunteer at a low income/at risk school. That school is often the only constant in the kids' lives.

Education is about the bet thing we could fund with our tax dollars.

CaliTerp07

I shudder to think about what the future would look like if we didn't offer free public education. For many of my kids, school is the safest place they have. It's the only place where you always get a meal, have someone to have a real conversation with, and know there will be electricity. Thank goodness for school taxes.

And in most cases these netbooks/laptops/ipads are funded by independent grants, not your local tax dollars.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
My mom teaches 4th grade and this year the teachers were all given ipads because soon the students are going to be using them for school stuff. I don't know if the parents are going to buy them or if the school is going to have a set.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Do you go to the doctor? Do your animals use veterinary services? Do you prefer that the person fixing your car be able to read the work order? It's very likely most people you encounter and need the services of were taught in public schools.

Members online