Do you know if its OK to freeze

Cidney

dry dog food? The reason I am asking, we seem to have a problem with moth's getting into the dog food even though its in a sealed container. I have had to toss 2 bags of food and this is getting expensive. I divided up some of the food in zip lock freezer bags and put them in the freezer, do you think the food will be OK when ready to use?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
yup..that is what you have to do..i hate those moths with a passion. they get into everything in your pantry as well..animals don't like the food after it has been chewed on by the larva as well...fortunately after you freeze everything and kill all you can find they are not like roaches...u usually get rid of them for good. I would question if they didn't come from your dog food in the first place and would demand a refund..

Cidney

Thats interesting, never thought those darn moths may have come from the dog food in the first place. I have a regular pest control guy and he is the one who discovered the pantry was the souce so hubby and I tossed a lot of food, got ride of the moths for awhile and now they are back! Thanks for the tip!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
they love grain and finding them in petfood..well next time your there where u purchased your dogfood..see what the other food looks like..especially the bird seed. That is almost always where they start..then they spread like wildfire.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I once found dead mice in a bag of food that i had bought so that is quite a possibility that they may have been there before you bought the bag.

aurorab

We had a similar problem when I was at college. But it was the past tenants and they had been out of the apt for the summer and they took over all our cereal and dry foods. It was so annoying we had to get rid of everything, then they sprayed and then we had to clean, clean, clean. then we could go get more food. The guy said that it usually happens w/ products already at the store, especially at discount stores b/c they have been there for a while. We were in college so we all bought things cheap. But the guy also said that just b/c it happens more at discount store don't think that just b/c it cost more that it won't happen at other stores. GREAT. we can't ever win. The freezer is good idea but you might want to try another store. If one bag has it it could be possible that others do too.

Members online