Loki keeps coughing! :o(

Loki is my 3.5 month old husky mix. When i got him from the shelter about a month and a half ago, he was very sick with some sort of respiratory infection...coughing productivly (he would make little huffing noises and then go GAKK!! and cough up a little phlem that he'd swallow) and very lethargic, wouldn't eat, had a fever.
Sooo, the vet put him on antibiotics, and he improved enormously in about a week. He has now been about the same for the rest of the time i've had him...very happy, puppyish, playful. but--he keeps coughing in the morning mostly. The vet then put him on vitamins (pet-tabs) to help his immune system. He was also recently de-wormed (he had roundworms). Now, 1 week after the first de-worming dose, his appitite isn't quite as big as it used to be. He still eats, but sometimes leaves a little food in the bottom of his bowl. He is getting 3 cups of food a day (half pedigree/half canidae) per what the vet told me ( a cup per 5 lbs of body weight...he's 15 lbs)

My question is, is this normal after a dog is de-wormed (since worms are internal parasites that use the dog's nurtition?)? and should i be worried about the continued coughing?
Thanks!!! LOL i'm such a worrier about my baby dog haha;)

shepluvr

I would ask the vet to recheck him. It is possible for the pup to develop pneumonia after having kennel cough. An xray may be in order. He is still very young and definately vulnerable to relapsing. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Worms inhibit a lot of the absorption process so your dog was having to eat mroe to get some energy/use out of his food. Now that he's been dewormed he's able to use all the food he's eating so he needs less. Actually, you really need to get rid of the Pedigree you're feeding him and go strictly to Canidae. He'll eat even less then, but that's because it's a very good food that is designed to be more efficient than Pedigree, which is chock-full of nasty fillers and other useles materials.

Yeah, acutally I am feeding him the Pedigree only cuz that's what he was used to from the shelter, and i wanted to get him gradually used to canidae, cuz he didn't really like it at first, since it tastes different (i'm guessing, LOL). He seems better today, and hasn't coughed as much, and ate all his food right away! He has a vet appt. on march 6th...:)

Members online