What breeds would you never own?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think that's the beauty in the variety of breeds we have now. I personally like small-medium lightly built, athletic, handler oriented, longhaired dogs best. Luckily there's quite a few of those around. I think it's me being honest saying I don't want to deal with DA because I'd really rather not. It's quite possibly the least desirable trait in any dog for me. I want to avoid it my own dogs as much as possible so it'd be silly to go out and get an APBT or a JRT. It wouldn't be fair to the dog to have an owner that is not comfortable dealing with that. The same goes for other traits in other breeds.

Really there are very few breeds I think I'd seek out, but there are many that I'd not be opposed to owning if they came along. I'm sure my breed preference will change, it already has a lot. I still love sight hounds but realize I'm not the best sight hound owner and thus will probably not ever own one.

I think it's natural to have aesthetic preferences too. Most of the breeds I like have a very similar look- longer hair, erect/semi erect ears, longer snout, variations in markings... I just think they're pretty. May be shallow, but it's true.

I do think we need to be careful to not say '___ breed is ugly' or '___ breed is useless/mean/etc.' That could hurt people's feelings.

I do think we need to be careful to not say '___ breed is ugly' or '___ breed is useless/mean/etc.' That could hurt people's feelings.
:hail:

I couldnt list dogs I would never have, there are far too many.

It would be easier to list dogs I could have.:lol-sign:

Some dogs I wouldnt own simply because I dont like their appearance, or the upkeep involved, training involved etc.

Others I love to see others have but just wouldnt fit my lifestyle.

The best dogs for me fit the following criteria:
small to medium
friendly (not everyone is my new best friend, but not overly DA or HA)
playful with an off button
easily trained (fairly easily)
people dogs (goes with friendly I guess)
can be independent
prefer non shedding

There is a pomorkiepoo (figure that one out;)) in a rescue close by that I want right now but the timing isnt good.
So breed is not an issue at all... just has to fit the criteria.

For som' reason I always end up with brown/red dogs with pointy ears....

even the new dog is brown...

what the heck is wrong with me? LOL

Dogs are wonderful pets and domesticated, too.....let us not forget people who have been mauled by persons keeping wild animals in their homes - the latest by a chimpanzee and the poor, defenseless lady in Connecticut.....who is still in a coma and has dreadful injuries. I say a little prayer for her almost everyday.

We love our wonderful muttsters, no matter what they are! Raised properly, most, if not all would make a decent pet for somebody out there. Let's save the vitriol for idiots who keep undomesticated animals in the house that don't belong in any home.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i love pretty much all breeds...
but theres a long list of breeds that just arnt for me...
i think it would be best to say
i WOULD own:
cresties,
chihuahua
great dane
english or irish line staffy bull
dobie
standard poodle

theres many breeds i like, and many breeds i woudlnt own like or not, so i think its just easier to say these are the dogs id definatly be interested in owning.

Paige

Let it be
Anything that cannot handle the cold is out unless it is comfortable being in the cold wearing a jacket.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
ooh i forgot to mention, i love love huskies and aussies.
i cant get a husky because of Miamis constant hot weather.. the dog would be miserable
As for aussies.. I just dont have the time to give to exercise

as for breeds i would not have. Greyhounds, borzois, and the like.. just too skinny, they dont really appeal to me. i like dogs with some meat on em lol

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I don't think I "ragged" on Chow's. My mom had one, I LOVED Max, but he chomped a few people (the meter man, etc) thankfully never drawing blood.

I personally do not trust them, especially around my children.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone admitting that they would not actively seek out Breed A because they don't trust it or whatever reason. It's their choice to pick their pet, and if they are not comfortable around Breed A then it's probably best they don't get it.
I wouldn't be upset if someone said "I don't trust pitbulls so I wouldn't own one" that's their prerogative. As long as they aren't the ones up lobbying to have the breed banned, then whatever, who cares.
I'm not out lobbying to have Chows banned, even if I don't feel I can trust them, so how is it offensive, I'm just curious about that!

Picklepaige

Since when is saying "I don't want to own ____ breed" hypocritical?
I didn't say that. I said it's hypocritical for one person to defend the pit bull breed as being misundertood, but turning around and saying they don't trust chows. I believe one person said they would go so far as to not even rescue one in need.

Paige

Let it be
I've met two chows owned by the same person. Only experience with the breed. One attacked my dog. The other was the raddest piece of K-9 I have ever met. So I don't know how I feel about them. Kind of indifferent. Would I take one in if one needed a home, fell into my lap and I was in the position to? Certainly. Would I keep it? Probably not. I said I wasn't going to keep Miley too though. So you never know.

F

FluffyZooCrew

I didn't say that. I said it's hypocritical for one person to defend the pit bull breed as being misundertood, but turning around and saying they don't trust chows. I believe one person said they would go so far as to not even rescue one in need.
Yep, that'd be me.

I was mauled as a child by a chow. Because of that, I have a fear of chows. So yes, I will not rescue one.

So I don't like chows... big deal. I'm not ragging them, and it's not against the law to have a fear of a certain breed because you were mauled by one. :rolleyes:

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
just an observation....not really an opinion

general public perception is that labs are the perfect family dog....

gereral public perception of "dangerous" breeds are just that...they will take your face off..

There in lies the difference...and I think is the reason people feel the need to point out the *bad* labs.

It sounds redundant here...among us...but in the *real* world there are a majority of people that believe some breeds (esp labs) are saints and som'how above their animal instincts..

maka sensa?
But does that really help the cause?

I can see how pointing out that *all* dogs can bite can be useful, but to launch into a lab or small dog bashing fest only divides dog owners, and fails to address the larger issue.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I'm not out lobbying to have Chows banned, even if I don't feel I can trust them, so how is it offensive, I'm just curious about that!
Because while there are a lot of manic Chows out there- does not mean that "you can't trust THEM". There are a lot of manic Pit Bulls out there, yet we run our mouths all day long about the bad apple in the batch.

I don't care much for Chows myself, because I seem to have more or less only run into the crazy ones... just as I have yet to meet a husky that's not a hyper, snappy dog..... but I would never go as far as stating that "I don't trust them". More than that, I am looking forward to meet a dog of the above mentioned breeds that is not like that. I think statements as "I don't trust them" has already done so much damage to certain breeds we really need to be careful what we say and type.

Why do you think you can't live on base? Because people "don't trust" your breed. And that is what riles me up when I see "Pit people" make blatant statements like you about Chows.

Dekka

Just try me..

I can see how pointing out that *all* dogs can bite can be useful, but to launch into a lab or small dog bashing fest only divides dog owners, and fails to address the larger issue.
I do see the point. The only breed of dog that has ever went to bite me unprovoked are labs. Does that make labs bad? No. But the owners all thought labs were majical dogs who needed no socialization and would love all humans. This does as much damage to a breed as those who believe a type of dog is a ticking time bomb.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Would i rescue an adult chow? probably not.. especially considering that i have other dogs in my home
but if i had the chance to rescue this?

HELL YES I WOULD!! lol look at that lil chicken nugget!

what cause are you talking about? Dog bite education? Rescue? If thats the case then we all need to turn our computers OFF and go out into the public now.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
I love all dogs, I would take in any dog needing a home.. But I wouldnt go looking for a Shih tzu ..

Actually, I Am obsessed with Any large breed dogs. So i probably wont own another smallbreed dog inmy lifetime. Unless There is one that desperatly needs my help.

On second thought, I probably will own another small breed, But put it this way, I wont be looking for one.. Im sure i will go to a shelter some day and A small breed dog will Pick me.

Lauren17

I would take in just about any breed that needed a home but I wouldnt go looking for a golden retriever, chihuahua, schipperke, or most small breeds really.

Members online

No members online now.