Parents never listen, do they?

bcmoffatt

totally normal
I really feel for anyone that lives at home and has their own dog. Really. I've been out for a long time, and my folks still drive me nuts when it comes to the dogs!

My Dad loves Cricket. He's always asking me to bring him over, he plays with him, buys him special treats, Cricket follows him around the house, yard and garage as he does chores, he brags about him to everyone, it's really cute...

BUT, he thinks Cricket is some sort of perfect superdog (because he's a BC) and won't listen to anything I try and tell him. Yeah, sure, he can sit, stay, lay down, heel, and come when called, but he's a BABY and he's nowhere near reliably trained!!

Like, my dad took Cricket into his garage to keep him company and Cricket peed in the corner. He was 12 weeks old. A baby! NOT housebroken, and I had explained that countless times. My dad got mad and said, "Well, he's not going back in there until he learns. ARGH! That's what I said! I told my Dad he has to watch him, and if he starts to sniff, he has to go!

And my Dad loves playing fetch with Cricket, but Cricket has extreme ball drive, and not only will he slam into whatever is in his way to get the ball, he will most likely play until he drops dead, not to mention he's still a baby and he shouldn't be putting that kind of stress on his lil' bod... My Dad thinks that just because he keeps bringing the ball back, and that because he wants to play, that's it's okay. My Gawd, the way he goes for that ball... :yikes: I worry the little guy isn't gonna make it to adulthood!!!

And he keeps taking Cricket out of the backyard into the driveway and front yard even though I have told him over and over again that there is a likelihood that Cricket will chase cars. He hasn't shown an interest yet, but he may, and it terrifies me.

Don't even get me started on the huskies!! He constantly lets them out of the house (mostly cottage) w/o their leashes or tie-outs. "Naw, they won't run off.."

I love that my Dad loves the dogs, but he worries me. He's always asking me if he can walk them, and I'm afraid he'll take them off lead, or put too much trust in them.

Once, he started a tiff between Mochi and Kena. They were watching him prepare veggies in the kitchen, and he told them to 'git' and shoved one of them--right into the other. They were on edge b/c of the food, and they started snarking at each other. My dad put his hand in the middle to break it up :)yikes::confused:) and he got nipped. He was really embarrassed about that though. he had a bit of a bruise and he hid it from everyone. My Mom said he got what he deserved. :p

I can't imagine living at home with the dogs! I have enough trouble with visits and cottage stay-overs!!

I guess I can't complain too much, because my family does love the dogs, and they talk about them all the time. My Mom calls them her grandkids!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Jazz managed to gain 8 pounds in 5 days at my parents place. And of course it was right before a show!! 6 meals a day of pancakes, jam, bread, pasta, ect..

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Yeah, mine stays with my mom during the days when I am at work. She has put on sooooo much weight. I have now put my foot down!

mrose_s

BusterLove
It gets a bit liek that sometimes

"no mum, I will NOT take Buster to the crowded dog park or the dog shelter fundraiser or the flyball championships. I'm pretty sure flooding him with dogs won't get him over his DA"... But she's learnign :) lol

PAWZ

Agility Junkie
Very easy to solve the problem since you are not living w/ your parents....dont leave the dogs with dad. He obviously feels he knows better and until you do, if ever get through to him, I would not bring the dogs over for a visit unless you can keep them under your supervision.

noludoru

Bored Now.
LMAO! Welcome to my world!

"Awwwww.... he wont chase Chili.. he likes her. And it's not fair for him to be on a tether while we're inside, it's so MEAN of you to have him on a lead when she's out. He should just run loose... I'm sure he wont bother her, he was really good today in keeping his attention on you while he walked by her."

Of course he likes the kitty. He loves the kitty. We play find the kitty and sniff the kitty and don't bop the kitty with your face ALL THE TIME. He especially love Chili because she's mysterious, elusive, makes funny sounds and sometimes scares him, which make her more interesting. THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE WILL NOT CHASE THE KITTY. Just because we have had good training sessions with his attention on me and ignoring the kitty doesn't mean he's perfect, or even "okay" yet, and certainly not safe enough to be loose around her. I don't know how to beat it into his head, and sometimes I really feel like it. Um, I mean, I feel like explaining things to my dad for the hundredth time, not beating him, of course. Yeah. Right.

RD

Are you dead yet?
My dad is the opposite. He micro-manages the dogs and is paranoid about trouble that they might get into. I admit I'm sort of cavalier with Eve around the house and our property, the dog is fricking glued to my side but he still pitches a fit when I go out of the yard and she has no leash. :lol-sign:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
And my Dad loves playing fetch with Cricket, but Cricket has extreme ball drive, and not only will he slam into whatever is in his way to get the ball, he will most likely play until he drops dead, not to mention he's still a baby and he shouldn't be putting that kind of stress on his lil' bod... My Dad thinks that just because he keeps bringing the ball back, and that because he wants to play, that's it's okay. My Gawd, the way he goes for that ball... :yikes: I worry the little guy isn't gonna make it to adulthood!!!

I hear ya! Blaze has an a huge ball drive....and he, too, slams into anything thats in his way of the ball, or if the ball hits the wall, so does he. :p And he can't go down stairs. Period. You should have seem the last time he did....Just bounced right down :eek: Got up, walked away unfazed!

I too have doubts sometimes that Blaze will make it to a healthy adulthood. ROFL!

Sorry about your dad....I can agree with you on some things. *sigh*

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I was very happy with how my parents reacted to Sarama when I went to visit last week . . . they were very respectful of my rules and decisions about her, though they weren't happy that she doesn't know not to get on the beds (she's allowed on ours at home)!

But then, they are very used to dogs and have a lot of dogs of their own . . . they KNOW that dogs are individuals, and that the person who lives with a dog every day is probably the best person to decide what is and is not appropriate for that dog.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
We take Morgan over to my in-laws all the time. They don't really understand the "rules" Morgan has, but at least they ask before they try to feed him things and whatnot. (They pretty much let their dog have/eat/do whatever she wants. They are lucky that she's a sweet, laid back dog that doesn't take too much advantage of how spoiled she is. LOL!)

My favorite is when we crate him at their house. If he gets too wild or too tired, we'll put him in the crate to calm down/take a nap... which is the same as when we are home. And every time, my father-in-law makes some comment about us "putting the little guy in jail", as if the crate is some kind of torture chamber. :rolleyes:

Really, Morgan likes his crate. It's his happy place. It will be okay. :p

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I have issues with my mom sometimes. If it was up to her all the animals could get away with murder. And the pretty much do when im not here. Which is really bad for them because the get confused. Its very obvious im the authority figure that everyone listens to. Mom is the push over who will practically lay them stick their face in her food when she's eating. Where if im in the room Tucker and Maggie are left on a sit stay on the other side of the room.

She had so many issues with Tucker when I moved out before. Because he won't listen to her like he will me. And then when she tries to take charge of him she's very inconsistant. I know she loves him (actually beleive she loves him more than me most of the time ;)) and would never dream of finding him a new home. But when I move out (hopefully soon) I know he is going to revert to horrible behavior and she's just gonna have to live with it or suck it up and stop being a doormat. Its pretty sad when a Jerky cocker spaniel is dominating you.

Members online

No members online now.