Shap Pei plus?

Maxy24

I did a thread like this a while back, when Max was still alive and well but I figured I'd do it again for some fresh opinions.

So we know Max is half Shar-Pei but the other half is unknown.
We'll start with what he looked like: Black hair although in the sun you could see brown in there too, each hair was about an inch long but shorter in some places and could actually give you a splinter (I had to extract many from deep within my mom's foot). His ears could go up and down, they had a bend in them so he could move them how he pleased. In most pictures they are up because I called his name or something to get his attention, but they can go flat back against his head too. His tail curls but not to the extent of being on his back or anything near that, more of a cycle shape. His legs were thin. His neck was strong and he was a VERY strong dog, especially when he pulled the leash, he had a choke chain that did nothing (thank God, I didn't know they were bad back then). His lips flopped down a little. eyes were brown. He was 65 pounds.

Personality: Had some dog aggression (never attacked but did growl and snap at a few, he learned to tolerate them unless they got in his face, on walks he would go hackles up and on tip toes, stiff, slowly wagging tail, he's start to calm down and then the dog would move out of his sight and he would slip around really quick etc.), but he was poorly socialized as a puppy. I don't think he would ever bite a large dog but he really disliked small dogs. A lab came running into our yard very hyper all in his face (but very submissive) and he stood perfectly straight and tense as the dog rolled around, licked his chin etc. but he never snapped or anything. Yet we ran into a small dog on our walk who he seemed to come close to biting, he snapped at it and the dog literally ran up his owners body, from that day on I had to tell people (with dogs he did not already know) that he was not dog friendly.
Anyway, he LOVED people, all people and greeted them very enthusiastically. He almost NEVER barked. He eventually learned to in order to get our attention that he wanted t come inside but even that was not a bark, it was a yelp. He barked a few times at some sketchy people in our yard at night though.
He hated water, for bathes and recreation. Even when he wanted a dog (one of the few dogs he was friends with), and keep in mind Max would drag an army across the street if he could get to another dog, it made walking him difficult, he would not go into the water. We had him at a friend's house with their lab (Sam RIP) and I was throwing balls for Sam, Max ran after Sam at full speed to he edge of the dock and then halted right at the edge and began crying crazily. We tried coaxing him in and he would not have it, he hated water.
We thought he would kill a cat but low and behold he LOVED them. He also was fine with gerbils lol. That said he acted like any animal outside was fair game, he broke my dad's finger when he saw a rabbit he wanted and dad was holding the leash.
He was medium energy I think. He was "hyper" so I'd say that was because he was not exercised...ever. He was so strong on the leash and not trained so nobody walked him until I was old enough to control him. At that point he got one walk a day which sufficed along with some play.

I think that's all you need to know LOL.

here are pics (sorry, they are very bad. My cameras flash did horrible things and without the flash you could not see him, taking pics of black dogs inside is hard without a lot of light) :

MORE

Kayota

To me he almost looks like he could be part pit bull, lab, or Great Dane. His face looks pretty Dane-y to me. I can see the Shar Pei, too, though. He also looks kind of like he could be part Thai Ridgeback, but that's pretty improbable.

Maxy24

Yeah someone once asked before touching him is there was Pit Bull in him, when I said no they pet him :rolleyes: Some people say Great Dane and my family all say lab, but that's because he's black and didn't you know all black dogs are labs. They think he look just like a lab, they think he had a lab coat, lab face, lab ears everything. They think he looks more lab than Shar Pei. I think he looks more Pei I mean his body does not look shar pei (the legs have always baffled me, he has thin legs, very un-pei like) but his face has that Pei quality to it, he has the extra skin too (it's just not in the form of wrinkles).

I just forgot to mention something that I heard was lab characteristic. He has a bone on the back of his head, like some people do, that bone poking from the back of their skull instead of a smooth back of the head. Someone at the rescue I volunteer for mentioned that it's common in labs. Does anyone know anything about that?

Maxy24

hey for all we know he could have a ton of breeds in there. All we KNOW is that is mother was 100% Shar-Pei. Daddy could be a Dane with Pittie too, I personally would be happy is those were the breeds, it feels exciting for some reason LOL, labs are just so common they are kinda boring (still love them though).

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
He seems to big to be a pitty pei he ws really all and pei's are not that tall and pitties arn't eitherbut its possible he was mixed w/ pitt and something else

I thin the father could be a dane or a dane mix.

As for the pricked ears I had seen pics of badly breed dane with pricked ears.

Members online

No members online now.