Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Neutered - for birth control

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • chocolate orange!

Votes: 11 12.2%

• Total voters

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Art was neutered at 6 months because that was what you were "supposed" to do. I wish we hadn't gotten him done so early, he definitely has much more of a skinny boy look than his brothers.

Talon is almost 18months and still intact. We don't currently plan on getting him neutered unless something comes up we think will benefit from a neutering. We are going to see how he is at 2 yrs and go from there.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
PS - IMO, cats don't need reproductive organs..... unless they belong to a breeder of show cats, I suppose. Yuck yuck yuck. Intact cats are.... yuck.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Oz was neutered according to my mother beagles have "balls comparable to a hamster's" (For anyone who hasn't had a male hamster...she means grotesquely huge). And she had no desire to keep them.

And that beagles tend to have enough issues with running away and marking without the hormones, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Cobain was neutered due to breeder contract. Out of all of my dogs, he's the one I would have considered keeping intact. I just think some extra hormones would have done him good haha.

Rigby and Ruby came spayed. Woulda spayed them anyways. No reason to keep them intact and they're both bitchy enough as it is.

Dagwall

I put neuter required by rescue as it's the best fit. Jubel was actually neutered by his previous owner before he was surrendered to the pound. So sometime under about 1 year of age but no clue when. If he had been intact when the rescue pulled him from the pound they would have altered him before adopting him out.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
PS - IMO, cats don't need reproductive organs..... unless they belong to a breeder of show cats, I suppose. Yuck yuck yuck. Intact cats are.... yuck.
This may also rustle some feathers for me to say but the cat overpopulation problem is a lot bigger than the dog problem.
Yes, there are homeless dogs but I've seen shelter workers get to the point of giving cats away and basically describing them as pests there are so **** many.

they are breeding machines, many roam at large, they pee on things, there are too many kittens, too many cats, and not enough homes for them.

I can easily argue the "Oh responsible dog owners can choose to keep dogs intact" and even "Pet owners breeding a litter of puppies is unfortunate but isn't the end of the world"

but for cats I'm just like NO. NO. DONT DO IT.
Unless you are a show breeder or breeding some rare specimen there is no reason for you to be breeding cats they do a fine job on their own go check a shelter

and frankly I don't think there is ask much of a risk (temperament/genetics/health wise) of getting a kitten from a shelter vs. getting a puppy.
but maybe that's because I'm not a cat person so a cat is a cat is a cat lol

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR CATS Y'ALL

Xandra

I don't like the idea of altering animals in general, but with cats I'm a big fan.

They aren't like dogs, there's no "ok, this is one of 2 times this year that she'll come into heat, better be extra careful."

Cats are in heat, like, every third week for 3/4 of the year.

I wouldn't want to be a cat breeder lol.

Doberluv

I almost always have neutered and spayed my dogs because it was what you're "suppose" to do for health and behavior and preventing unwanted litters.

With my last GSD, he was becoming very dog aggressive and picking fights, but I was thinking of keeping him intact way back then for possible breeding. So he was neutered at about a year old.

My female Lab went through one heat and I couldn't stand it so she got done.

My Doberman, I wish I wouldn't have neutered so young. He was gangly and since then I've read so many reasons why not to neuter, at least not before fully developed.

So, these two Poodle puppies are intact. I only plan to breed one of them but unless there is a reason to neuter, I won't. So far, they only have occasional squabbles over a toy like pretty much most dogs living together. (and human siblings. lol) They don't mark in the house, so far, knock on wood. And they are going to fill out nicely with lots of good, dense bone. I see it, especially with my larger one, Matisse. Other behavior, I am not concerned with. And accidental breeding....not likely. They're under lock and key. Studies show that neutered dogs can be every bit as dog reactive or aggressive and in fact, possibly more so than intact dogs. There just really doesn't seem to be any reason at this point to neuter them. And too many reasons to keep them the way nature intended...with all their organs.

I find it funny that people are so opposed to ear cropping and tail docking but don't find anything invasive or wrong about neutering. Spaying to me, is a little different....health wise. And neutering if one's dog is going to be in contact with other dogs where they might breed by accident...yes. Very important reason.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I voted "other," because it was not my decision. Morgan came from rescue already neutered (pediatric neuter).

Even if he hadn't already been fixed, he probably still would have been neutered young due to shelter contract and "that's what you do."

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
I went Chocolate orange because both of my dogs are intact. ;)

I did neuter our cats back way when we had them (they both are at the bridge now)...no spraying cats wanted thank you. :mad: And...I will never own another cat after those two.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I totally get your point of view, Fran, though I have thought about breeding Siamese. To most people a cat is a cat is a cat. For me, though, Siamese are special and just like with dogs, I don't see any problem with trying to maintain lines.
Overall, though, I agree. At my AC they were so desperate to adopt out cats they introduced a "adopt one, get one free" kind of deal. REALLY sad. :(

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Oh, yes. ALL of our cats are spayed/neutered, and any of my future cats will be done as well, probably at 6 months or so. NEVER keeping an intact cat. Ever.

Paige

Let it be
Birth control AND to see if it made him less of a target for other male dogs. It worked.

iriskai

I haven't.. I have an intact dog of each gender. Should be fun considering Mimi came in season today.

Why aren't they altered? Both are shown. Mimi actively, Ezra is spot shown while he matures. He may not be shown down the road, but he's given me no reasons to have him altered. Heck, he doesn't even lift his leg when he pees outside.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Spayed for several reasons.
1. Breeder required it by 12 months of age.
2. Birth control. I've had intact dogs. I didn't (and don't) wish to repeat it.
3. Health. Dachshunds aren't prone to too many cancers, but breast cancer is the biggest risk.

Elrohwen

All of our dogs growing up were spayed/neutered around 6 months old because it was "the right thing to do" as a responsible pet owner. I don't think we ever considered health or behavior issues.

My current dog is intact. I had planned to neuter him, but then I agreed to show him. Now that I've read more and have lived with an intact dog, I don't see any reason to neuter future males. I'm still on the fence about a future female.

Gambit was a pediatric neuter by the shelter before I adopted him. If there was ever a dog who would have benefited from some extra testosterone, he's it. But I understand why it had to be done.

Gimmick is not neutered, and probably will not be. From all the horror stories I've always heard about intact males, I expected him to be a raving hump machine by now, but nope. If he stays this perfect, those suckers aren't going anywhere.

Lady Chesh the cat was spayed at five months because I was not dealing with a hussy in heat. There's only room for one PMSing creature in this apartment, and I can't get spayed (sadly). This had not prevented her from having a false pregnancy in which she adopted a kitchen sponge, nor has it stopped her from flirting with the most disgusting tomcat I've ever seen through the window. Girl was born to be skanky, I guess.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Lady Chesh the cat was spayed at five months because I was not dealing with a hussy in heat. There's only room for one PMSing creature in this apartment, and I can't get spayed (sadly).
I just. . . this is so awesome. . . I think I have my next signature quote. :hail::rofl1:

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
My intact male tried marking in the arena at work once. Once followed by holy hell fires of a raving furious mommy. That's as annoying male as he gets. Angry mommy goes a long way for an R+ puppy... lol

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Chloe was spayed for health reasons. When she would go into heat, she would often have false pregnancies that led to her almost always producing milk. We were afraid she would get mastitis and/or cancer and wanted to get her spayed to stop her from having the false pregnancies. It's funny because she's from a shelter and was supposed to be spayed before we got her, but it didn't work out and we were tired of waiting to get her, so we told them we'd do it on our own at our vet. It took 2 or 3 years but it happened eventually lol!

Violet is unaltered but we will probably spay her eventually for birth control.

Members online

No members online now.