How many people here have anxiety?

yoko

I don't have anything diagnosed. :/ I need to but doctors freak me out so much I haven't been to one for about 7 years *minus the one visit last year I HAD to go to when it turns out that I have food allergies and needed an epi pen.

At work I have almost daily anxiety attacks just because people stress me out. It's not over big thing it's just constantly having to be interacting with someone. But I can go to the bathroom have my attack and am just miserable until I leave.

It took me over a year to really make friends at my job. The people are super nice but I have trouble making eye contact with people and just don't know how to have conversations. Work stuff I'm fine but the second it turns to anything not work stuff I don't know how to have a conversation.

I really want to do a meet up be it chaz or any of my other interests but I'm so nervous to have to deal with new people that I haven't done it yet. It's hard to meet and make new friends when for the first six months I don't want to make eye contact and struggle through conversations.

My friends have tried to get me to go talk to someone but having to talk to someone about personal 'people stress me out' stuff isn't really high on my list of things to do and every time I've had a doctors appointment I don't really learn anything because I have issues reading conversations and I don't really know when I i'm suppose to ask my questions and by the time I've gone over it in my mind it's over and it's time to leave.

I feel dumb being 25 and asking someone to go with me so I just haven't gone. :/

So yeah I can admit I have anxiety issues. And I know technically it's self diagnosed and that's looked down on a lot but just thinking of the steps to get a full diagnoses stresses me out to the point of an anxiety attack sometimes.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We've discussed it in my therapy sessions, and my doc says it's one of the most common times, since it's often the quietest time of the day when you're alone with your thoughts.
That's interesting. I've often wondered if it was because it was night time and dark or if it was because I don't have control so to speak. Like the day is over and now there's no way I can 'fix' the problem today so it sends me into a panic attack.

I'm not sure I have social anxiety. I am a bit of a recluse sometimes and somewhat socially awkward. But I enjoy meeting people and talking to people if I have something to say. A lot of social settings though are hard for me because the entire time I'm thinking of what to say that doesn't make me sound like a complete loser. But the actual act of going and talking to a stranger or to someone I'm not close friends with isn't stressful at all. I do think I'm getting better at talking to people.

My sister has a much harder time with anxiety than I do. It really affects her ability to function and she panics a lot about little things.

Saeleofu

I have anxiety as part of my ASD, however it's not NEARLY as bad as it was just a few years ago. Mostly it manifests as an inability to speak.

My friends have tried to get me to go talk to someone but having to talk to someone about personal 'people stress me out' stuff isn't really high on my list of things to do and every time I've had a doctors appointment I don't really learn anything because I have issues reading conversations and I don't really know when I i'm suppose to ask my questions and by the time I've gone over it in my mind it's over and it's time to leave.
I've found that if I can write out everything I want to talk about before the appointment and email it to the doctor ahead of time, it helps A LOT. It's the only way I was able to get through getting both my ASD and PCOS diagnosed. It was REALLY hard trying to find a doctor that would do that, but I finally found one. I want to change doctors this year because I found someone local that is a GP and does a lot of work with ASDs, but I don't know if she'll take emails like that. We'll find out, I suppose.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I've found that if I can write out everything I want to talk about before the appointment and email it to the doctor ahead of time, it helps A LOT. It's the only way I was able to get through getting both my ASD and PCOS diagnosed. It was REALLY hard trying to find a doctor that would do that, but I finally found one. I want to change doctors this year because I found someone local that is a GP and does a lot of work with ASDs, but I don't know if she'll take emails like that. We'll find out, I suppose.
^ Excellent advice. I had written a lot of the things I wanted to mention, things I knew about (when attacks happened, potential triggers, etc) and situations in my life which might lend to the feelings of anxiety. Then I just handed it over. :)

yoko

I have written out questions I knew I would have before. But I just don't really know when to jump in with them. And when they are like 'well that's it' I can't even get my self to say 'hey wait I have a few questions'.

I usually have to kind of pump myself up before I talk or ask something. And just trying to listen to what they are saying and going over it in my mind I just never get to the ask them the questions thing.

I also have issues with people I don't know and some times people I know touching me. So something as small as giving blood pressure *which btw shoots up when someone touches me because I automatically stress out* can throw me off for a little bit. And it just feels like everything happens before I can do what I need to do.

Saeleofu

I have written out questions I knew I would have before. But I just don't really know when to jump in with them. And when they are like 'well that's it' I can't even get my self to say 'hey wait I have a few questions'.
But what I do eliminates that problem, and that's why it works ;) The doctor knows ahead of time your concerns, and can address them whenever he fits them in. You don't just write your questions, you write down EVERYTHING you want to say, and give it to him before the appointment ever starts.

Doberluv

I only had what I think was a panic attack one time. And that was when the kids were little and we were in this church for a Halloween thing for the kids. There were so many people in the basement where this was held that you couldn't move. Literally shoulder to shoulder with not more than a few inches between everyone. It was a major fire hazard and I'm sure it violated the code for occupancy. Everyone was moving like sheep to the slaughter, as we made our way along to see the things the kids had made etc. I wanted to get outta there so badly and I started panicking and collapsed, spiraling down to the floor. It was so embarrassing. Some man got the people to move enough to make a path and got me outside in the fresh air. It totally surprised me that I reacted that way.:eek:

I don't mind crowds within reason, but when I feel like I can't make a quick escape if need be, that makes me very nervous, but I can seem to be able to control myself now enough that I don't let it get the better of me.

As far as social situations. I seek them out. I am very sociable. I'm the weirdo in the grocery store that strikes up a conversation with anyone...no problem whatsoever with that. And I don't give a rip if I don't know something, can't find something or look like a fool. For some reason, stuff like that doesn't even enter my head. I sing karaoke, right up in front of all kinds of people and love going out to nice bars. (we'll call them lounges). People compliment me on my singing and then we wind up chatting. I love meeting new people. I've even been known to dance on the bar and on a table once. That was a long time ago though. lol. I'm just super friendly to people and like to have a good time. If they don't like me, I never even notice.:rofl1:

I wonder if there's a name for that. (?)

Actually, there are some situations where I am a little shy feeling or uncomfortable. It's not all one way or another. But that was just a general, most-of-the-time kind of description.

Last edited:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I also tend to pick at my skin a lot (dermatillomania)
Wow so I just Googled that, and I do that too. I didn't know there was a name for it. My family just thinks I'm a freak. For me, it's the skin around my fingernails I pick at, sometimes it's not so bad but most of the time I'm pretty embarrassed about the state of my fingers. It's definitely worse when I'm stressed or anxious about something. I know I was doing it as early as when I was in elementary school, so I really can't remember ever NOT doing it....

As much as I don't like social situations and typically avoid them and avoid talking to people, I've never had a problem working in customer service. I don't really mind talking to customers. In fact, my favorite part about my current job is when I get to talk to and help customers. UNLESS - if a coworker is nearby and can hear the conversation, I get nervous and self conscious because, again, I feel like they are judging everything I say, and that I'm not doing a good enough job or whatever. It just makes me overanalyze everything, and instead of saying what I want to/should say, I end up stumbling over my thoughts and sounding ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Saeleofu

I pick and chew at my skin too. I also chew the hair off my forearms and occasionally pull hair out of my eyebrows or eyelashes. Logan has helped me control it, but I still do it when I'm no around him - however where I used to just start biting holes in myself regardless of any injury, I now tend to just pick/chew at places where I have a cut/scratch/etc. Makes them take forever to heal.

Anxiety makes it worse, but it's something I do pretty much whenever, out of habit I guess.

K

Kristen1980

I do sometimes. It gets to where I can't sleep and stay up all night worrying. Haven't had it lately but had it a lot before Park was born. I was so worried about having 2 babies!

I pick and chew at my skin too. I also chew the hair off my forearms and occasionally pull hair out of my eyebrows or eyelashes. Logan has helped me control it, but I still do it when I'm no around him - however where I used to just start biting holes in myself regardless of any injury, I now tend to just pick/chew at places where I have a cut/scratch/etc. Makes them take forever to heal.

Anxiety makes it worse, but it's something I do pretty much whenever, out of habit I guess.
Yh I do that too.

Members online

No members online now.