Sieb Husky owners.....help!

phyl

Corgan is the worst eater!! Will only eat boiled chicken and rice. I spoiled him......yes.....I know, but he was a sickly puppy and the vet told me to feed it to him. That was it, I never stopped. He eats one day......does not the next. Looks at me like I'm crazy when I give him his food. I thought all dogs loved to eat......Help!! Phyl

Sounds like Corgan's been hanging around with some cats! I wouldn't worry too, too much if he's not underweight. To encourage him to eat his dog food, though, you might try pouring a little chicken broth over it. You can make it easily and economically from chicken soup base that you get in the grocery store. It comes in plastic jars and is much easier to use than the old bouillion cubes. You can usually find it near the canned chicken broth. Just run some water in a bowl and spoon out a little of the stock, microwave it for a minute or so to get the water hot enough to dissolve it, maybe drop an ice cube into it so Corgan won't burn his tongue, pour it over his dog food, and see if he'll go for it. You could even keep a container of rice cooked up in the fridge and mix a spoonful in to make it even more familiar to his palate.

It makes really good soup, too! I used to make homemade chicken stock, simmering several pounds of skinned chicken thighs for hours and hours and hours, straining, finding room in the fridge, freezer, etc., etc., etc. . . regular Martha Stewart. (She'd have a coronary if she saw MY kitchen.) NO MORE. I pull out my trusty jar of Jamison's Chicken Stock and start cookin'! I use the ham stock instead of fatty ham hocks, and the beef stock is excellent, too. And, it's nice to be able to give my doggies a warm treat when they've been out playing in the cold. I'm just careful not to make it too concentrated, although it's not anywhere near as salty as the old bouillion or canned stock.

I probably should add that some dogs are smarter than others about not eating when they don't need the fuel. Think about what Huskies DO. I doubt Corgan's burning near the energy his arctic brothers and sisters do, and they were bred to be very efficient, not needing giant amounts of food to work much harder than most breeds ever had to. The Huskies who needed lots of fuel didn't survive.

Bimmer and Shiva are the same way. On days they don't do much, they barely eat. Charlie's commented that his Dobermans ate four times as much as the Filas, even though the Filas are 70 to 100 pounds larger. Like your Corgan's forebears, the Fila ancestors had to be hardy, as they were often members of very impoverished communities and shared whatever their owners had or whatever they caught. I think the wolf part of Bimmer makes him a more efficient eater than my other German Shepherds were, too.

Let us know how things go with Corgan.

Wish my dogs had that problem :)
They eat everything in site. It makes sense that the dog may only be eating what he wants. If the food is there, he isn't going to go hungry.

Chazhound

phyl

chazhound said:
Wish my dogs had that problem :)
They eat everything in site. It makes sense that the dog may only be eating what he wants. If the food is there, he isn't going to go hungry.

Chazhound
Thanks......you are sooo right. Corgan should have been a cat!! He is so finiky, but he will never go hungry....Phyl

phyl

Renee750il said:
I probably should add that some dogs are smarter than others about not eating when they don't need the fuel. Think about what Huskies DO. I doubt Corgan's burning near the energy his arctic brothers and sisters do, and they were bred to be very efficient, not needing giant amounts of food to work much harder than most breeds ever had to. The Huskies who needed lots of fuel didn't survive.

Bimmer and Shiva are the same way. On days they don't do much, they barely eat. Charlie's commented that his Dobermans ate four times as much as the Filas, even though the Filas are 70 to 100 pounds larger. Like your Corgan's forebears, the Fila ancestors had to be hardy, as they were often members of very impoverished communities and shared whatever their owners had or whatever they caught. I think the wolf part of Bimmer makes him a more efficient eater than my other German Shepherds were, too.

Let us know how things go with Corgan.
I know you are right. I just WISH he would eat once a day and not like a cat!! So Finiky.....I should use him as a model for my diet, ha ha!! Phyl

phyl

Renee750il said:
Sounds like Corgan's been hanging around with some cats! I wouldn't worry too, too much if he's not underweight. To encourage him to eat his dog food, though, you might try pouring a little chicken broth over it. You can make it easily and economically from chicken soup base that you get in the grocery store. It comes in plastic jars and is much easier to use than the old bouillion cubes. You can usually find it near the canned chicken broth. Just run some water in a bowl and spoon out a little of the stock, microwave it for a minute or so to get the water hot enough to dissolve it, maybe drop an ice cube into it so Corgan won't burn his tongue, pour it over his dog food, and see if he'll go for it. You could even keep a container of rice cooked up in the fridge and mix a spoonful in to make it even more familiar to his palate.

It makes really good soup, too! I used to make homemade chicken stock, simmering several pounds of skinned chicken thighs for hours and hours and hours, straining, finding room in the fridge, freezer, etc., etc., etc. . . regular Martha Stewart. (She'd have a coronary if she saw MY kitchen.) NO MORE. I pull out my trusty jar of Jamison's Chicken Stock and start cookin'! I use the ham stock instead of fatty ham hocks, and the beef stock is excellent, too. And, it's nice to be able to give my doggies a warm treat when they've been out playing in the cold. I'm just careful not to make it too concentrated, although it's not anywhere near as salty as the old bouillion or canned stock.
Renee, I tried the broth thing.....he just wants to eat when HE wants, he talks to us and tells us he is hungry.....but eats a small amount, sometimes 3 times a day.....sometimes not at all that day.....drives us crazy , she thinks he's a cat.....Phyl

phyl

phyl said:
Renee, I tried the broth thing.....he just wants to eat when HE wants, he talks to us and tells us he is hungry.....but eats a small amount, sometimes 3 times a day.....sometimes not at all that day.....drives us crazy , she thinks he's a cat.....Phyl
Ooops.....I mean, HE thinks he's a cat!!!

hmmmmmm My mom put soy milk in Luke's food to make him eat it. Maybe you should put a liquid he likes in his food so he'll eat it

Phyl, don't stress too much. Charlie's been trying to get Bimmer to eat more for the last three years. Yesterday he probably didn't eat half a cup of food. Today, he's wolfed down three already, plus two fairly thick slices of leftover pork roast (we didn't tell Shiva about that), and about four inches of roasted garlic sourdough that got forgotten about until it was petrified. Shiva got the rest of that; it was at least as hard as a rawhide chew bone! If it will make you feel better, get Corgan some vitamin supplement treats.

I wouldn't worry unless he looks at you and says "meow!"

Manda0304

phyl said:
Corgan is the worst eater!! Will only eat boiled chicken and rice. I spoiled him......yes.....I know, but he was a sickly puppy and the vet told me to feed it to him. That was it, I never stopped. He eats one day......does not the next. Looks at me like I'm crazy when I give him his food. I thought all dogs loved to eat......Help!! Phyl
Hi,
we had a dog that would not eat his food it was dry food the vet said dry food is better and the brand we wher geting and tha wet food is not as good as good for them so we kept with the dry and put a little watter in the bowl and he ate it! the taste tastes liek wet food the doc. said but is still good for them and doesnt take the taste away! maybe you should try that.
Manda :D

Members online