House training

Barb04

Super Moderator
I do agree to have the vet check Peanut out. My dog Brandy had bladder problems so it wasn't actually a training problem. Let us know what you find out.

mwood322

My dog did roughly the same thing for months. I finally came to the conclusion she wasn't actually housebroken. She would only pee in the kitchen, but would do it at random times even after going out. She wasn't being stubborn, she just didn't get it. She knew she had peed in the kitchen before, so why not now. In front of me, also not an issue, in her head, I never went nuts over seeing pee in the kitchen.

She lost her house priviledges, and I went back to housebreaking 101. Take dog out, wait for peeing, if good, give the best treat you have. Hot dogs work well. If nothing, bring the dog back in and alternately watch like hawk, or crate. Do not let the dog out of your sight. Repeat as needed. Play outside if there is has been no peeing. Only play inside after peeing outside. Interrupt inside mistakes, take dog out immediately. Make sure the inside is completely clean to keep odors from being a stimulus.

I'd still check for an infection, but Toka was perfect for months then suddenly wasn't. She had been scheduled housebroken, meaning if I was home to take her out no problem, but if I wasn't, or didn't notice her fast enough she went in the kitchen. Though it seemed really random. She now gets ridiculous praise in the morning for going outside. The first outing is bathroom only. Then we go for a hike, and only then she gets to play in the yard until I have to go to work. It's been about 3 months since she peed in the house.

--Mia

Doberluv

"She lost her house priviledges, and I went back to housebreaking 101."

Good advice Mwood. After checked by a vet, you will have to go back to square one and do like you did when she was a younger pup. And go from there. She'll get it reliable eventually, but you have to prevent accidents. Good luck.

Y

yuckaduck

Just a thought Nedium but did this just start? Could it be the weather change? THere has been so much rain and it has been colder. Maybe she does nto want to go outside.

Definantly a vet check because if it is medical then it is easier fixed then training.

Training wise, crate or attach her right to you by a leash and do not let her out of sight. THe second she shows any indication of peeing take her out and reward if she does something outside. If she does start to pee inside, a firm deep manly growling voice NNNNOOOOO and then rush her outside.

yuckaduck said:

Training wise, crate or attach her right to you by a leash and do not let her out of sight. THe second she shows any indication of peeing take her out and reward if she does something outside. If she does start to pee inside, a firm deep manly growling voice NNNNOOOOO and then rush her outside.
Agree. When I was training Phoebe as a pup, and I caught her in the act, I would lift her mid-stream, telling her "outside" and put her on the grass outside to finish, even if only a few drops, and when she had finished I would heap praise on her. She was potty trained in a couple of weeks and has never (she is almost 4) ever had an accident in the house.

Y

yuckaduck

Yeah I really do not think yelling at her is a good option, jsut gives you a sore throat. It really has no training value to the situation. If they could understand all our words then maybe that would be different but they cannot so why give yourself that sore throat. Just step back and let her re learn it.

Hey Nedim...I had problems getting Chloe all the way housebroken, with her it was an attention thing. When she gets outside, she's more interested in seeing what's going on next door on across the street. I'd stand out there with her and say "go potty" and she wouldn't listen. Just be persistant with her....I know how stubborn those little midget dogs can be.:rolleyes:

This is just a thought...could she have a urinary tract infection? Chloe got one after her pups were born...I didn't realize it for a while.

nedim

Thanks for all the great advice everyone, I really appreciate it. At the risk of sounding totally stupid, can someone explain crate-training to me?

My initial thought was that she has a UTI, but a vet check should determine what medical issues she has, if any.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Y

yuckaduck

Denaluvscorgis said:
Want to trade dogs for a while...you can train Chloe not to bark and I'll train Peanut not to pee.;)
I'll trade you, if you can teach Yukon to stop being so jealous and peeing. Actually he is really getting better but he has his moments.

Y

yuckaduck

Denaluvscorgis said:
Look at that face though Heather...totally innocent!!;)
Yeah until you turn your back. HEHE HE is not that bad, actually he is pretty darn good now as long as he gets outside for a couple of good exercise sessions. He has pretty muchly stopped his widdling in the house. I say pretty muchly because I do not want to jinx it, the last time I posted good things about him he remodelled my bathroom for me.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
It was heck house training Dakota. Heck. I mean it was so bad. He was so impatient. It was "Bark" Oh you didn't hear me? Well I'll go here then woman. So frustrating. :rolleyes: But then I learned, fine, you pee, you pay. He peed, he payed ;)

It is severly frustrating...especially when you have a neat freak for a husband. Now that we have our new floors it's really gotten alot better. Chloe never has accidents anymore and Jack once in a while goes on the throw rug in front of the patio door.

Members online

No members online now.