What makes a backyard breeder?

Y

yuckaduck

bollywood said:
I wrote: "Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious."

Your response is typical. I have in my contract that they cannot take the dog I sold them to rescue or shelter. It must be returned to me. Unconditionally. They sign their name to that. I keep in touch with those that buy from me. They send me pics. They are not in shelters.

BYB's vary no matter what you say. I don't care if thousands agree with you. I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

Just like you find any person that does not fit into the "responsible" breeder catagory bad, I find "responsible" breeders to be unlikeable. They are rude, self righteous, snobby, full of themselves, intolerant, unreasonable, so on and so on.

So what do you breed? Puggles? Can you link us to your website so we can have a look?

nedim

bollywood said:
I wrote: "Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious."

Your response is typical. I have in my contract that they cannot take the dog I sold them to rescue or shelter. It must be returned to me. Unconditionally. They sign their name to that. I keep in touch with those that buy from me. They send me pics. They are not in shelters.

BYB's vary no matter what you say. I don't care if thousands agree with you. I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

Just like you find any person that does not fit into the "responsible" breeder catagory bad, I find "responsible" breeders to be unlikeable. They are rude, self righteous, snobby, full of themselves, intolerant, unreasonable, so on and so on.

Oh boy, this is ridiculous. ALL BACKYARD BREEDERS ARE IRRESPONSIBLE!!!

You are supposed to breed to improve the quality of a certain breed of dog! Not to make some money or because it's "cute". Whats up with the stereotyping? All responsible breeders are full of themselves?? I think you're the one who's full of it.

Y

yuckaduck

nedim said:
Oh boy, this is ridiculous. ALL BACKYARD BREEDERS ARE IRRESPONSIBLE!!!

You are supposed to breed to improve the quality of a certain breed of dog! Not to make some money or because it's "cute". Whats up with the stereotyping? All responsible breeders are full of themselves?? I think you're the one who's full of it.

Don't ya think the posts are kinda familiar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Melissa_W

bollywood said:
Responsible breeders. They show. Test. "Don't do it for money". They are often radical. Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :rolleyes: I'd rather get a healthy dog from some "radical snob", then get a poorly bred, unhealthy dog from a really "nice" BYB.

So.... you don't believe that dogs should be tested before being bred? If so, what is the rationale for your position?

showpug

bollywood said:

How many responsible breeders have you met? I question if they really fit your last sentence description or if they were just "that way" with you because of your breeding practices. All the responsible breeders I have met have been very open, educational, helpful and willing to answer questions about the breed HONESTLY, and they are not out to make a buck. In fact, the majority of responsible breeders I have met ususally loose money or barely break even when they breed a litter. They have the stud fee, occasional artificial insemination fee, fees for the genetic health testing, puppy vaccines, whelping supplies and the cost it took over the years to put titles on their dogs to make sure they weren't breeding in a vacuum based soley on their own opinions. AND YES, they have something to be proud of!

Y

yuckaduck

showpug said:
How many responsible breeders have you met? I question if they really fit your last sentence description or if they were just "that way" with you because of your breeding practices. All the responsible breeders I have met have been very open, educational, helpful and willing to answer questions about the breed HONESTLY, and they are not out to make a buck. In fact, the majority of responsible breeders I have met ususally loose money or barely break even when they breed a litter. They have the stud fee, occasional artificial insemination fee, fees for the genetic health testing, puppy vaccines, whelping supplies and the cost it took over the years to put titles on their dogs to make sure they weren't breeding in a vacuum based soley on their own opinions. AND YES, they have something to be proud of!

She is responsible don't you know? :rolleyes:
Too bad we already hashed this out before and look the same players with different names.

bollywood

That was my FIRST post on this message board. I do not breed pugs. Puggles?You don't like me stereotyping RB, but that is what you do by lumping people into 3 catagories. The largest one, BYB.

I will not continue here. I don't want to get into a big ugly war. We just disagree about a lot of things.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
It doesn't have to be ugly. We can all express our opinions and try to give back up information to credit our claims. I hope you come back, it's always interesting to know how everyone views things.

Y

yuckaduck

bollywood said:
That was my FIRST post on this message board. I do not breed pugs. Puggles?You don't like me stereotyping RB, but that is what you do by lumping people into 3 catagories. The largest one, BYB.

I will not continue here. I don't want to get into a big ugly war. We just disagree about a lot of things.

I have nothing against anyone at all. I just found your wording and tyoing style so much like someone who use to post here. If you are not that person then you have no idea what I am talk about and I am sorry. If you are then that is your right too and I could care less but we are all entitled to our opinions and it does not need to be ugly. State your opinion, if you have facts, examples to back it up then do so and let people respond how they see fit. If you find someone is getting ugly or rude notify a moderator. It is that easy! You will find most of us are a pretty tight knit family and we all readily accept new pack, family members in.

Members online

No members online now.