Malinois people.. advice? (/got bit the other day)

I don't think you should continue to walk them either, not because I think they're a "dangerous" animal, but because you could get hurt anyway if that makes sense.

They need training beyond a dog walker. They need someone to work with them regularly, they need more than walks and runs. Walks and runs, in my house, don't do **** to curb energy. Like someone mentioned, it only seems to bring up energy levels overall.

If you lived with the dogs, great, because it's going to be work on everything, not just walks that will make this better. and one dog at a time. It's going to be all the interactions, from when and how you open a crate, to how they are leashed, to how they act when the door is open, to making them chill while i'm watching TV would all be a part of the plan. and that's hard to do, when your'e just showing up to walk them a few times a week.

When I picture this, I don't even see it as a bite. Technically, yes I know it is, but anything that's not a, "I really want to hurt you bite" doesn't count with me :). I can see this as more of him barking and your ear just got in the way, that said, it's something I wouldn't tolerate either. It can happen, but it's not tolerated anymore.

Work has to be done that shows them how to get things, and barking spinning and running out of control aren't ways to make things go faster, which at this point I think that is what they have learned by escalating every situation.

By no means is this a lost cause or even close, I just don't think you'll get it done in the time you're there. It's a much bigger commitment

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
My first thought was the seizure disorder too. Fran, if you go down they could kill you.

milos_mommy

Right. I don't think these dogs are aggressive. But they sound very, very much out of control, yours and most people's.

The only way I'd maybe consider continuing to work with them would be if 1. The owners got a trainer, 2. They could be muzzled, and 3. You could get another walker to go with you and handle one while you handle the other

Red Chrome

My dogs aren't a candidate for dog walkers and they are much less of a liability than these dogs are.

smeagle

Yeah I couldn't imagine in a million years having a dog walker take my Mal out. I couldn't even imagine putting her in a boarding kennel or even having one of my dog savvy friends look after her. She's great with people and doesn't spin and bark at people or me or do anything like that, but she's a very high drive Malinois and even coming up to you for a pat could easily hurt someone. I have bruises all over just from general every day interactions. Part owning a dog like that is acknowledging they require more management than most other dogs. I hope the owners get some professional help especially with that separation anxiety. :(

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
They were dropped as clients today. Honestly, it was for the best.
I went over to talk with them with their dogs and even with the help.. it wasn't a situation my boss or me felt comfortable with.

we gave them some rec for some day-cares that offer solo runs and such.. hopefully they pursue it.

SaraB

They were dropped as clients today. Honestly, it was for the best.
I went over to talk with them with their dogs and even with the help.. it wasn't a situation my boss or me felt comfortable with.

we gave them some rec for some day-cares that offer solo runs and such.. hopefully they pursue it.
I am glad to hear this. You are great for wanting to pursue other options for them, but honestly, some dogs aren't cut out to have dog walkers.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I'm just such a sap. I KNOW it was for the best but I feel like I abandoned them.
We met at a nearby park and the male was so happy to see me. My boss already basically decided that we were done so it was hard to even look at the little guy

There was just no solution we could think of that would be safe for all parties (including the company)

A little sad. But they love their dogs.. I hope they find another solution.

JacksonsMom

I'm so sorry. :(

Tough situation...

I had something a tiny bit similar, but nowhere near the level you were dealing with. I was a dogwalker for a long time, but not for a business, just by myself through word of mouth, etc. I walked a Rottie from the time he was a pup (8 weeks) and was VERY attached to him. I loved that dog very much and he loved me. The owners were very much into dominant stuff. They meant well, but I cringed sometimes at seeing how they treated him. (they were sometimes working from home when I'd come by to walk him). The husband grabbed his scruff really hard, and literally sat on him one day to get him to settle (he'd get sooo excited to see me!) I never had an issue when it was just me and they weren't home.

He began showing some signs of aggression. One time I dropped my poop bag holder, bent down to pick it up, and he quickly went to grab it and tried to bite my hand. He began showing a lot of this... signs of resource guarding even really stupid silly things. At first, it was just food. And then one time, I was trying to take his prong off, and he curled his lips up at me and gave me a warning. I told owners what happened, and they kept saying they were working on it (which they were, but in the wrong way, IMO). And then one day on our walk, a little girl was riding her bike by (somewhat downhill) and we moved as far away as we could but he lunged towards her wheels (it wasn't HER, it was the bike) but still... God forbid he had actually reached HER. That was when I knew I just couldn't do it anymore. It was way too much of a liability for someone like me ... not even working for a company, etc.

I knew that for the most part, I was very capable of handling him. 90% of the time, he was a great dog. But there was that 10% where I honestly did not trust him. I was never scared of him... I learned what triggered him, and what NOT to do. And he truly loved me sooo much. We had a great bond that I am not even sure he had with his owners. I enjoyed doing clicker training with him, he was so smart. He would give me bear hugs that I just loved.

And I still feel very bad that I don't see him anymore. I'm sure he doesn't get the exercise he needs, and I have a feeling the aggression/resource guarding is worse. I'm so scared they're going to call me one day to tell me they put him down or something... because honestly, I can't see the husband putting up with it if he bites him. Which I think he had done once before. But I do miss him. But I try to tell myself it wasn't my problem to begin with... and there's no way I could have 'fixed' such a serious issue only seeing him for an hour a day.

Members online

No members online now.