border collie puppy weight

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I'm a bit worried about Talon's weight. He is really tiny for what I'd expect from a 7 wk border collie puppy, but to be honest I don't really know what that weight should be.

Does anyone know an approximate weight for border collie at 7 weeks?

Right now he is 5.9lbs. I can feel a bit more rib than I would like, but he eats like a fiend and is very active. So who knows, he may just be a tiny border collie lol

elegy

overdogged
Depends on the puppy. Bean's litter at their 7-week checkup with the breeder ranged from 5.3 to 6.9 pounds. But I can't actually find what Bean weighed when he came home.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Gosh... I can barely remember what my puppies weighed at that age. That does sound kind of small though..

Lizmo

Water Junkie
His weight sounds spot on for a 7 week old. Blaze was in the 5lb range. :)

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Alright... maybe I was on crack. I just looked back and my puppies were exactly 5.7 lbs at 7 weeks.

Kilter

Ticket was a moose and closer to the 8 pound mark I think - had a small cat carrier and he did not fit for long. Kilt however fit in a tiny crate for 4-5 months or so. I remember being shocked at how small she and her relatives were too....

milos_mommy

It sounds like it's on the smallish size, but nothing I'd worry about. As long as she's slowly gaining weight she should be perfect!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Eve was about that, too. Sounds normal.

Some baby BCs can be kinda bony, but they flesh out as they age. I had one bony puppy and two that were a bit too rolly-polly. :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks for all the responses! He seems to be a bit on the bony side for my liking. Fecal test came back normal, he's been wormed and eats like a champ so I'm hoping he just grows a bit into his body lol

Also, he has started to crouch and stalk a ball today! I didn't realize he would start that behavior so soon, but it was seriously cute. He looked very serious and pleased with himself. :p

Members online